PDA

View Full Version : Briefing approach plates

Tubbs
10th Dec 2003, 19:13
This is something we were never taught during CPL/IR or the exams, perhaps because it is seen as being intuitive or just simple.

Does any individual or company have a standard way of briefing approaches?

What is the best way to brief the approach?

keithl
10th Dec 2003, 20:35
If you use Jepps, you'll notice that at the edge of the top 'block', it says "Briefing Strip". So most of the details you need are there.
For Aerads, we find it works best to work from top to bottom 'extracting' the info you need. But some companies have standard formats that override this. If you have freedom of action, I'd add that it's important to remember that you are briefing your copilot on the details you want him to monitor, rather than (which I have heard done) making it a mere ritual incantation.
Hope this helps.

Pegasus77
11th Dec 2003, 07:19
When I brief the approach I go through it chronologically... Start with final descent point, altitude, DME distance etc., then degree glide, OM, minimum, pitch limit during landing, runway lenght and condition, autobrake setting, and then what happens in case of go around. There is no standard, just do something that makes sense and doesn't bore your capt.

P77

Hobbit
11th Dec 2003, 07:35
Surely the point of a briefing is for you to brief yourself and make sure that the other guy is in the loop. Hence the briefing depends on the approach. If it is a timed NDB approach it will probably be a bit more detailed than another ILS in CAVOK. There cannot be a standard format (though some airlines have them) because every approach is different and every pilot has a different base of knowledge. Your first ever IMC non-precision approach to LCY will probably differ from your 150th arrival at your home base in CAVOK.

Tinstaafl
11th Dec 2003, 08:37
If single pilot then you're trying to focus on things that could kill you - with no one else available to double check. You're not trying to memorise the approach plate.

I focus on:

Positively identifying the aerodrome & approach type including runway/aircraft category to make sure it applies to me & my intentions: eg Aberdeen 16 ILS (Cat A & B) circle for 34. Don't want to be following 16 ILS (Cat C & D), or worse the 34 ILS... Circling or Runway approach?

Make sure you check what navaids are required for the approach. Do you have them & are they serviceable? Oz' DAPs make it easy because required aids are included in the approach name eg Tamworth NDB/ILS/DME

Set up frequencies (com & nav) & T.I.T. the aids as appropriate.

How will you get to the approach? Which hold & sector entry?

Broad overview of the approach: PLAN VIEW --> Is it a standard 'break towards' non-precision, a 'break away', standard ILS etc. Left or right base turn or procedure turn?

PROFILE VIEW --> Specific altitude limits that could trap you eg not below on final until 6 DME. Prestwick has an NDB approach that's easy to forget this. You spend ages on final, waiting for the step limit... (Erm....I hope you spend ages, waiting for the step before descending. Like I didn't once.... :O )

Where will you expect the runway. If a circling approach PAY LOTS OF ATTENTION to circling limitations & how you will get to/stay in the circling area.

MISSED APPROACH! Very important. How will you establish yourself on the missed approach, initial heading, mandatory turns/height limits. Consider how to get there if circling. Where is the high/low ground?

NOTES: Always read the notes. Discount any that don't apply to your particular variant of the approach. Obviously read the notes that apply.

L G Cooper
11th Dec 2003, 09:10
I think the point of an approach brief is that it is just that...brief. If you have a co-pilot, they can go into more detail if required, or talk you through the whole approach. In just over 2000 hours of military flying (granted, most of it single pilot), I have narrowed it down to:

Date of the plate
Sector entry and any initial height restrictions (if required)
Approach commencement height
Intermediate step heights
Directions of any turns for reversal procedures
Minima
Mapp procedure
Orientation of the runway / environment at minima
Actions on aid / comms (and perhaps engine) failure
Other pertinent info like circling restrictions should be verbalised as well.

Extraneous nonsense should be left out as this takes up time, will be difficult to verbalise due to radio traffic, and is also prone to confusing the essence of the approach.

Hope this helps.

Leroy (Gordo):ok:

Tinstaafl
11th Dec 2003, 22:42
Never understood why check the date on the plate in SP ops. Some publications don't list current pages. If they do, does anyone flip to the list & check your plate date? That presumes that ammendments were inserted bang on time anyway. Fair enough if multi-crew since comparing each other's approach plate date stops each pilot from using a different edition.

OzExpat
12th Dec 2003, 19:09
I'm with you there Tinny... when I did SP IFR, I never saw no point in checking the date on the chart. What am I gunna use it for? In several thousand hours of such ops, I could never answer that question.

Very different, as you say, in multi-crew ops because you need both of you to be "on the same page"! :D

You're going to have to forget all about this though mate...

Oz' DAPs make it easy because required aids are included in the approach name eg Tamworth NDB/ILS/DME
If Oz goes along with the latest HUGE raft of amendments to Pans Ops, expect procedure titles to change drastically. ICAO has come up with a plan whereby all approach charts will be identified in the title by the final azimuth navaid. There are all sorts of provisions for multiple types of apprach to the same RWY and even to the same circling area.

We're all gunna havta make these cosmetic changes to our approach charts. But, what the hell, that's why the industry pays for an amendment service, huh...:} This change becomes effective next year, so it'll be interesting to see if Oz goes along with it.

I, of course (and "as usual"), have no choice... :{