PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean?

Cockpit Door-Closed
10th Dec 2003, 16:43
I give up!! 20 years of sitting in Boeing flight decks, it has finally got the better of me. What does the white plus sign ("+") on all the selector panels, signify?

Cockpit Door-Closed

Staggerwing
10th Dec 2003, 17:21
It marks the location of the internal lighting for the panel.

Capt Claret
10th Dec 2003, 17:42
Earthing point for internal panel lighting.

No panel lights? Press on + and possibly panel lights. :}

The_Cutest_of_Borg
10th Dec 2003, 18:13
I was told that it was where the wiring loom connected to the panel.

Kaptin M
10th Dec 2003, 18:26
I was reliably informed :p that they are marks used during manufacture to accurately align the panel hole cutters (for the instrumentation, etc).

Next please!

scrambler
10th Dec 2003, 18:38
something to stare at on long hauls?

hoss
10th Dec 2003, 19:12
Not just Boeing, Bombardier have the same thing. My understanding is the same as The_Cutest_of_Borg:) , but we may be wrong.

In relation to the +, if it is the location of the wiring loom to the panel why do we(Pilots) need to know? Could it be the spot to make a "technical tap" if required :uhoh: :hmm: which could make Capt Claret's version more likely.

I like your version Kaptin M but I would have thought that the more modern panels would be produced in a mass 'jig' with mega accurate laser cutters.

Next;) .

Pimp Daddy
11th Dec 2003, 01:11
The cross shows where the lighting panel connector is, it is usually a small round plug almost like a tv aerial plug in shape but about half the size which has a corresponding socket on the overhead panel chassis. Shows you where to press to ensure it has mated after you have had the panel apart.

Chris Higgins
26th Dec 2003, 07:03
Actually, it is where the wiring loom/cannon plug/ earth connection is. Not just for the backlighting necesarily but sometimes the gauge itself. Yes, because the panels do flex, you are supposed to press in that area after installation to assure a firm seat, and yes you can press on that part if the gauge doesn't work or the backlighting goes out.

Source was Boeing.

Fris B. Fairing
26th Dec 2003, 08:33
Great

Now there's going to be a plethora (or maybe even a lot) of requests for flight deck visits just to look at the little plus signs.

404 Titan
26th Dec 2003, 10:31
They also exist in Airbus aircraft as well. The only difference is they are blue and can sometimes be difficult to see. I asked a ground engineer what they were once and he informed me that that is the place you hit (tap) when the lights in that panel go out.

Chris Higgins
26th Dec 2003, 11:18
E-mail me with any questions on B-737/57/67. I used to do company orals on the 75/76. Sometimes we had to dig pretty deep to satisfy that "one guy" in every class.

Qduck
26th Dec 2003, 11:28
"that that is the place you hit (tap) when the lights in that panel go out."

How do you know where it is if the lights are out?
:D

404 Titan
26th Dec 2003, 12:09
Qduck

I did say that panel, i.e. fuel, hyd, elec, etc. Hopefully I would still have the other panels and the dome light. If not then the torch.:ok: