PDA

View Full Version : What Licence Is Req To Instruct JAR In The US

SpamCanDriver
9th Dec 2003, 22:22
Hi I am thinking about doing some JAR instruction in the US, do you need to have an FAA CPL & CFI to instruct JAR on N reg planes in the US?
Cheers for any help :p

Keygrip
10th Dec 2003, 01:10
You're not going tolike this - but it seems to depend on the geographical location of where you want to teach.

I know some JAA guys have been teaching nothing without FAA qualifications, I know some who have taught anything that doesn't require a "sign off", I know some who have taught everything (even first solo).

Some have letters of dispensation from offices of the FAA, some don't.

No matter what rule and legislation is quoted to you in any following messages - IN PRACTICE it depends where you are.

Without doubt, best bet is to get both ratings (and a VALID visa for working, of course[which does NOT include the M1 student visa issued by some schools]).

StrateandLevel
14th Dec 2003, 17:11
In essence you must be qualified to give instruction in the State where your wish to give it, assuming the aircraft is also registered by that State.

You cannot legally send a student solo unless you are qualified as an instructor by that State.

You would obviously need the JAA qualification as well, and the right to work in the US; the more difficult bit!

Some JAA commercial instructors work in the US on the basis of a UK/JAA commercial licence, with a FAA (Restricted) validation and do not hold a FAA CFI rating, as there are no solo sign offs on the JAA modular commercial. It does however depend upon the interpretation of the rules by the local FAA Flight Ops Office.

As you would need a sponsor to get a Visa, ask them!

Keygrip:

"I know some JAA guys have been teaching nothing"

I think I have seen some of their students!!!