PDA

View Full Version : Some advice requested

CapedVulture
9th Dec 2003, 10:00
Hi to all

Just recently finished getting my FAA comm/multi IR and JAA Frozen ATPL/multi IR. Total now 300 hrs and about 60 multi.

I`ve sent CV`s out to many companies in the UK, but there are no work offers and I realise the only way to get your foot in the door is to get involved in the industry.

Although not in any debt at the moment, I need to start work again soon.
I can either return to a job in the computer industry or do an instructors rating, which will require a £6000 loan (probably from HSBC) as I think the rating would give me a better chance of finding flying work.
I feel somewhat determined not to have to return to an office and sit behind a computer screen all day, after all the flying training I`ve just done.

A few questions though.
1: Would a £6000 loan be repayable on an instructors starting salary, if I were to instruct full time, flying as much as possible. Would it be possible to keep up with the repayments in actual fact?
2: What is the average starting salary for a full time new instructor and the average number of flying hours per year taking the seasons into account?
3: I would appreciate any comments on what people think about going the instructor route for someone in my situation or hanging on for who knows how long and try to find an Airtaxi or Regional job?

I`m not sure whether I would enjoy it, but I won`t know until I give it a try. A friend of mine has just started instructing and is loving it.

Any advice would be very appreciated.
Thanks

jsf
10th Dec 2003, 17:33
If you go back to the IT industry and stay current you will probably have a chance of a job with the hours you've got if you are under 30 and get lucky.

If you do the FI rating you will build hours quickly and enhance your CV and more importantly your flying ability. BUT YOU WILL BE SKINT!

Personally I took the instructor route..........
I've never been more skint........
I've never been happier......

The choice is yours

Good Luck

jsf

PS you haven't got enough experience for Air Taxi!

CapedVulture
11th Dec 2003, 02:56
Hi JSF

Thanks for that advice. Sounds like sound information to me.
I`ve just turned 31 and am keen to get some proper experience behind me as soon as possible, as I don`t think I can afford to hang around at my age, for too long.
Maybe instructing is the only way or maybe I should hang on a bit till next year just to see if things start improving?

You`re not suggesting that I don`t have a chance at 31, if I decide to hang on for a bit. Sure I`ll need some luck, but there must be guys in their early 30`s with low experience that get hired.

Thanks for the info.

B2N2
21st Dec 2003, 05:37
Personally I'd go for the instructor route or any other paying job at an airport.
Flight instruction will improve your skills and your cockpit communication skills. Every hour as an instructor is "multi-crew".
You'll greatly benefit in learning to deal with difficult personalities.
Best of all it will greatly increase your total time.You'll need it.
Too many people with 300hrs. hanging around for the few jobs available.
And you'll never know who you'll run into at the airport, networking is more important than you think.Remember even
PPL students can recommend you for a job somewhere.
Good luck.

Noggin
21st Dec 2003, 16:37
Some good advice there however there are other points to consider.

If you only want to be an instructor to build hours and stay current; will a school want to employ you? Whilst most schools are used to hour builders they have a business to run, and may be reluctant to employ an instructor who can't deliver the goods when they want them.

It could take you 18 months to two years to find an airline job, you could qualify as a FI and take 6 - 12 months to find an instructing job!

A number of FIs with 1500 hous plus, have not got airline jobs whilst Instructors with 600 hours have jumpped the queue; something to do with amortising the cost of training versus the probability of you moving on.

Stick with the day job; do a FI course if you can, and instruct part time; that way you can afford to pay for it and stay current. Leave the full time jobs for the old boys on pensions who can afford to be FIs.