PDA

View Full Version : What flying school do you recommend for full-time ATPL groundschool?

Spike001
9th Dec 2003, 06:06
Hi all

I'm gathering a selection of flying schools in the UK that offer a full-time ATPL groundschool course.

The ones which have been recommended to me from my flying school are:

Oxford (OAT)

Bournemouth (BCFT)

Cranfield (CATS)

Bristol - (but from my research they only seem to do distance learning courses)

Any others that I've missed?

Cheers :ok:

FlyingForFun
9th Dec 2003, 16:16
You are correct about Bristol - distance-learning only.

The complete list is here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf). Sorry, I have no first-hand experience of any of the schools you mention (other than Bristol). Oxford do seem to get consistently good review on these forums, though.

FFF
----------------

Flypuppy
9th Dec 2003, 16:26
I studied at ATA Coventry (http://www.atatraining.co.uk/about.htm)

Worth a visit, give Hilary a call.

razzele
10th Dec 2003, 00:21
Well ...

If not for the fab weather alone id go to Naples, Florida.

:cool:

I do my ATPL there. Its cheaper than average, with small class sizes. I got 6/7 in module 1, plus a PPL in naples' great airspace.

They certainly do something right here!

:ok:

2 people got 7/7, 1 failed 1, another failed 2 icluding a 74 in POF(unlucky matey!), one did not do so well.

anyother advice ?

JB007
10th Dec 2003, 01:04
Ditto with Flypuppy...

The 2 Petes and Sandy - the absolute best!!
They suceeded with the impossible task of getting me through the exams....!!!!!:ok:

Golddust
11th Dec 2003, 02:54
I've also been to ATA Coventry, and it was very good. Abselutely worth having a look into!

Best of luck :ok:

Spike001
11th Dec 2003, 07:25
Bristol, Full time groundschool??????

....where?

I've only been able to find distance learning courses.

Enlighten me :)

Alex Whittingham
11th Dec 2003, 17:42
Sorry, we haven't done full time courses since the JAA exams were introduced.

Jinkster
11th Dec 2003, 18:38
I would recommend - Oxford full time GS and Cabair for the flying.

Hufty
12th Dec 2003, 00:48
I would recommend Oxford too, although their customer service isn't the best.

The notes and instruction make up for it in my book though.

Hufty.

tom775257
12th Dec 2003, 06:44
I guess the problem with a question like ‘which is the best’ is that most students have only been to one training establishment for ATPL ground school. Any one can say ‘I recommend so and so..’ but I assume very few have actually compared that directly to others. Any view is highly subjective…I guess it is best to add up all the information and see which matches your requirements the best. Whether some ulterior motives exist for certain posts could be another subject entirely. For my personal requirements, Bristol (distance) and ATA seemed the best suited to my needs. In the end I chose ATA, and I must say I have been entirely impressed. Go and visit the schools, speak to students who actually study there without staff present and make your mind up, see through the flashy adverts! Just because they suggest you will become a pilot, doesn’t mean you will make it. etc.
Good luck :ok: ,
Tom.

Chinchilla.612
12th Dec 2003, 19:27
Well, depending on how far you want to go, and whether you can cope with the cold weather in the winter......
.....I did my ground school with GCNS in Glasgow.

Excellent instruction, well structured, nice facilities, and a brilliant Students Union!!!

Got me through all the exams no problem......would highly recommend them :o)

scotte
12th Dec 2003, 21:59
I went through BCFT and thought the place was great. I really would recommend it. The instructors know there subjects inside out and are always more than happy to help out with any subjects even outside the classroom.
I believe the manuals were written by the instructors. I found this a great help as they knew exactly what was in them.

Best bet though, go and have a look around and see for yourself but it gets my vote.

scotte

devokeuk
13th Dec 2003, 02:22
I know this is a bit off the point but I completed my JAR'S via distance learning with Oxford and passed all subjects first time bar one exam which I passed upon resit.

I feel that if I had have done the full time course and put in the same effort, I deffo would have obtained a clean sheet.

It's up to you though, and I know some guys n girls that went to different organisations with positive results. The main thing that will result in you being successful is YOUR commitment to study, declining the invitation for pub outings and dedicate your time in obtaining your goal "First Time Passes". Its short time suffering for eventually long time gain.

Best of luck

:\

Spike001
13th Dec 2003, 06:52
Thanks all, for the input and recommendations.

I've started to weigh everything up here, and I personally believe the best option for me at the present is to do my ATPL at Bournemouth.

Why am I in this frame of mind, well firstly the course at Oxford is quite expensive secondly accommodation costs will be that bit more because of being around Oxford city.

Being careful in limiting the expenditure on a ATPL course will leave me with good amount left over, allowing me to put it towards another course e.g. CPL, instead of having mounting debt and decreasing the likely hood of HSBC giving me my vital loan.

Structuring the career is also an important one I feel, by doing a selection of courses at a time, then working to pay that debt off, and then obtaining another loan shows a better sense of planning, managing costs and security - instead of diving straight into the deep end asking for that £30k-40k loan (you never know I may still get it, but a bit unlikely).

I'll be contacting BCFT shortly with a few more queries I have lined up, like software animation programs to go along with the course. I guess even if a college doesn't provide any animation programs, I'm sure I could buy one at Transair or something before starting the course.

After reading on these forums about the study material at BCFT hasn't been the best of the best recently, I'm eager to find out from them personally what changes they've made.

Still much more research to do and planning to do before I approach HSBC, but getting there ;)

Cheers

TRon
15th Dec 2003, 19:02
I hear it has all been improved, it was just some of the pictures you couldn't read, in the Systems Manuals and was an issue with their printers.

There werent any flash animations or Electronic stuff for you to read, but you can get the Oxford Met CD which is first rate. I didn't even read the BCFT Met books, I purely used the CD and passed. You can also get the Bristol GS CD which is again first rate and has all the course material on there.

BCFT was still very much traditional learning i.e. Teacher-Student-Manual. Using electronic info whilst good requires some serious self discipline and personally I found the classes far more helpful most of the reading I did on the computer apart from Met. I believe Oxford are working on the other subjects but you cant make Law as interactive!

On the whole, most will agree, BCFT are on your side and will get you through, and Andy Wood is priceless!!

colbackp
18th Dec 2003, 04:44
Yes agree with Scotte

BCFT siuted me very well as the groundschool staff are dedicated and very committed. We all need extra help in certain areas and the help was there for me in PoF which Wayne Crosby gave so well; there was a real feeling that they were there with you and wanted the best for you and not just so that they could quote the high pass rates on line to others.

So take a visit and get on with the study as it is all about how many hours youy study!!!

Peter

PS started ATPL groundschool 3/3/3 and now near to completing IR so is possible with the right help , attitue and hours.

ECHIE
18th Dec 2003, 20:32
Have a look at Aeromadrid in Spain. They have a fantastic course to offer and for a very good price. I have done there myself a MCC + FI course and I have been working there for a while. Great school with an excellent staff!!!

For more information you can have a look at www.aeromadrid.com or for other questions you can always send me an email to [email protected].

With kind regards,

Theo