PDA

View Full Version : HSI/RMI for a 172

FullyFlapped
8th Dec 2003, 02:28
Can anyone recommend the best people to talk to about getting the DI upgraded to a HSI in my C172 ? Might even push the boat out and look at and RMI as well if the piggy bank doesn't burst, so if anyone knows who I should talk to about this as well, I'd be most obliged ...

Thanks,

FullyFlapped
:ok:

BEagle
8th Dec 2003, 02:52
It'd probably cost you no more than £10-15K.....

Why not just bin the Cesspit and spend the money on something better? Or rather, less bland.

dublinpilot
8th Dec 2003, 03:33
BEagle!

I hope that was tounge in cheek! :rolleyes: There are many people who love there 172's!! Not me personally, but I'm sure FF is rightly proud of his!

dp

BEagle
8th Dec 2003, 04:47
Well yes, OK....

Saw the Reims Rocket tested at Cranfield in 1968 - that was a 172 worth thinking about!

Timothy
8th Dec 2003, 05:10
The Reims Rocket and Skylane were both OKish for proper touring.

Installing an HSI/RMI combination in a standard 172 does seem a little OTT, though. Have you considered the weight penalty?...those gyro units can be quite heavy in an aeroplane which doesn't have that much payload in the first place.

Having said that, if you make a lot of IFR approaches in the 172 HSI (for ILS and VOR) and, to a lesser extent RMI (for NDB) are a big, big safety benefit.

Any Avionics shop should be able to help. Paul at Tatenhill seems to be most people's favourite.

W

FullyFlapped
8th Dec 2003, 07:14
Heck ! Amazing how upset some people get at the thought of li'l old me, frequently arriving at meetings up and down the country having sailed over the top of jammed motorways or heavily delayed trains at 120mph in my comfy, simple and safe little fuel-sipping tin can .... sorry to upset you, boys ! :D

Oh, thanks for the advice, though !

FF
:ok:

Rod1
9th Dec 2003, 20:10
If you want an up to date solution for less than 1000 try http://www.pcflightsystems.com/. It is not certified ,but it is very good!

Rod1