PDA

View Full Version : IR without CPL or ATPL ...

FullyFlapped
8th Dec 2003, 01:52
Hi all,

I'm a 200 hr PPL with an IMC/night. I'm about to go sign up to do the distance learning for an IR. I don't want a commercial licence, just an IR.

I'm a little confused, though. If I obtain an IR on a single, does my IR cover me if I fly a twin? And alternatively, if I pass an IR in a twin, can I exercise the IR priviledges when flying my single?

Surely you don't need to take two IR's if you want to fly both singles and twins ?

Thanks to anyone who can advise !

FullyFlapped
:ok:

Keygrip
8th Dec 2003, 02:46
Multi engine WILL cover single

Single engine will NOT cover multi.

FullyFlapped
8th Dec 2003, 07:06
Thanks my friend, if only the aviation world was full of such simple, to-te-point information !

Regards,
FF
:ok:

FlyingForFun
8th Dec 2003, 16:41
I used to get confused by this, and I'm not the only one.

The reason I got confused was because I was mixing up "multi-engine" with "multi-pilot". Pretty stupid, but I don't think I'm the only one who's done that. And once you get the difference clear, it's simple.

Multi engine WILL cover single engine.

However, a multi pilot IR WILL NOT cover single pilot.

Easy.

FFF
-----------

Tinstaafl
10th Dec 2003, 00:22
The rational behind what covers what may help you understand the 'Why....?'

When things are running normally there's essentially no handling difference between a multi & single. Little bit more complexity but that's just familiarity & training on the type.

Lose an engine & the similarities end. Both a/c lose performance. Once is guaranteed to go downhill, the other may or may not be able to continue flight IF the pilot can keep it under control and the conditions don't require more power than the remaining engine(s) can provide. There is always the option to accept going downhill, just like the single. The skills needed for the single are covered by the skills needed for the twin - hence a twin IR covers a single.

A single suffers no unusual or degraded handling when the engine go awry & so needs no demonstrable ability to cope with such things. A twin losing an engine suffers severe reduction in handling qualities. That's the key point in why a single IR doesn't cover a twin. There's no part of the single IR that covers the controllability aspects of an asymmetric multi.

Interestingly and supporting this concept, in Oz a pilot with a s/e IR is authorised to fly centerline thrust multis eg C337. Oz requires an endorsement for different multi types, but that applies regardless of the flight rules or conditions. If the pilot has a centreline thrust a/c on his licence then gaining a s/e IR embraces that a/c as well.

blody tipos