PDA

View Full Version : Md80 / F100

SWADLER747
6th Dec 2003, 05:06
Anyone ever flown on an MD80 a/c, or F100? - What are they like...

Is it noisey to sit next to those engines ?

The MD always seems to rocket into the sky, can you feel the difference??

pipersg
6th Dec 2003, 23:06
I have flown as pax on both types.

The MD83 I was on felt quite powerful on takeoff but was quite lightly loaded so that would probably account for that. It still felt quite a bit more sprightly than a comparably loaded 737-400.

The F100s I have travelled on (BMI British Midland) feel pretty sluggish to me, not even in the same league as the MD80 and yes they can be quite noisy towards the rear.

typhoonpilot
6th Dec 2003, 23:54
Nothing better than sitting in the back on an MD-80 with the engines out of sync at midnight over the Gulf of Mexico trying to get your crew rest while part of a heavy crew doing the SFO-Cancun-SFO trip.:( Better yet, try riding in the back of a hush kitted DC-9. It might be quieter on the outside but that's not true on the inside.

I remember the first time I rode on an F-100 thinking how much quieter it was than a DC-9.

Typhoonpilot

Anti-ice
7th Dec 2003, 01:02
Last time i flew on a MD-80 , it was virtually silent on take-off (sat v near the front) pleasant enough, but narrow.

Used to work on the F-100, was ok, but all the wall panels had a habit of 'popping or cracking' during ascent/descent.
The audio altimeter is very audible in the front cabin!
You always knew if it was gonna be a heavy landing by how fast it read out the 50-40-30 legends:eek:

Gimme a 737 or a A320 anyday in comparison, crew/pax wise.

**777lover**
7th Dec 2003, 01:04
Hi,

I travelled on an MD-80 (super 80) from DFW to Calgary on American Airlines. I had just finished a 9 1/2 hour flight from LGW to DFW on a 777 and wasnt looking forward to the prospect of flying in a cramped plane. It was indeed cramped but a fantastic flight. First of all we pushed back from the gate using just our reversers (terrific noise) and then just turned round and taxiied to runway 35R (i think). We departed and climbed rapidly to our cruising height just as the sun was setting. We landed at calgary with a smooth touch down and taxied to our stand.

Calgary - Chicago
On my return to the UK we travelled to LHR via Chicago and did the CAL - ORD route also in a "super 80". Unfortunatly it didn't give us a chance to experience a loud push and we experienced just a standard tug pushback but we did see some beutiful sights on our departure. The snow glistened in the early morning sun and we could see the rockies perfectly. However the thing i will never forget is the bumpy landing made by our pilots. We were on short finals and obiously not online as you could see the approach lights beneath us and as we flew over the threshold our pilot made a late correction causing our starboard wing to almost hit the ground we then bounced and landed on the rear two wheels and then our nose wheel was hit on the runway with considerable force! We left airplane wary of the pilot and ran to catch our connecting flight luckily in a 777. We arrived at Heathrows 27L safely, flying over all the London sights. I will never florget my flights and i hope i get to fly on a DC9 again someday.

Thanks Dave :ok:

747FOCAL
7th Dec 2003, 01:54
The MD80 is the worst performing jet twin that Boeing(Douglas) has ever certified. :ooh:

Flopster
9th Dec 2003, 21:14
MD80 - Wonderfully quite up towards the front of the cabin; one can hardly hear the engines starting and normal conversation is possible even during T/O. Got a mate flying the thing for SAS, or rather he was. Now he's on the 737NG and is always complaing how noisy the NG is compared to the MD. They never wore headsets in the MD except for T/O and LDG; on the NG they're always on.

However, have also had the displeasure of paxing at the second last row on a MD, right next to the engine inlet. Talk about noisy ....

As a pax, in business class mind you, I'll take a MD anytime over a NG or A320 series. Sooo quite.

Timilu
12th Dec 2003, 04:51
747FOCAL

Run that by me again please. Worst ever??
I know that you usually know your performance stuff, but would you back up that statement with some numbers to compare. Iīve got quite a few hours on the thing, and have a hard time seeing where a MD80 is outperformed by, letīs say a 73/2/3/4

747FOCAL
12th Dec 2003, 05:02
Timilu,

Sorry for being vague. I will use takeoff performance for noise certification as an example.

The MD80 at it's highest weights makes it to about 1750 ft at 205 kts at mic overhead(21325 from brake release). Noise certification always uses the best possible low speed performance for certification(ie. instand gear retraction from liftoff, 1 second pilot recognition for cutback:E ). A 737 at the same weights will be about 2400 ft at around 215 kts at the same overhead moment.

I think the MD80 screams to 1000 ft or so and then the small wings start to hurt performance. Got to remember the MD80 is just a stretched DC-9 and we all know what dogs they were, especially hot and high.

When the BR715 was a re-engine candidate for the MD80 it was disqualified as the engine out max altitude was slightly more than 9000 ft. There are lots of places in the world where it could not fly because of that.

As a side note: The 717 will be the tentpole aircraft when NOx becomes a real issue as the amount of Nox that airplane puts out to carry a given weight between point A and point B is the same as a old clasic 737, DC-9 and 727. Small wings, bad L/D = engines have to stay at high thrust vs if the wings had been designed right. :ok:

Timilu
12th Dec 2003, 18:12
See what youīre saying, but isnīt there a lot more to it?

Do you mean to say, that an old 737-500 outperforms an MD82 with -219c engines trying to attain max height over a certain point after takeoff at max. weight for that type? Genuine question as I donīt know, but would be pretty surprised.
Although I am well aware that low speed performance isnīt where the MD has itīs gloriest moments.

I have to admit, that being just a driver, makes you think along other avenues when the word performance comes up.

1) Am I happy with the single engine performance in my aircraft for the routes that I fly, should one engine go south. Well, I fly around 70 different routes, and on 69 of them no sweat. Should it happen in Innsbruck Austria I would really sweat. But so would the 737/2/3/4/5 driver me thinks.

2)Getting stuck behind a 737 classic anywhere in the air is a waste of valuable beer time for a MD driver. Now, the new smart wing on the NG did wonders in cruisespeed and altitude, wish that McD had put a new wing on the MD90 that I also fly.

In short, with my narrowminded glasses on

:\ I can haul 130-140 pax just as safely (for my routes) , just as comfortably (for those who pay most, in the front of the MD, I think that most will agree, that no short hauler comes anywhere near the silence of the MD) and a good deal quicker than the 737 classic.
W/ rgds. to noise, my opinion is utterly childish and irrelevant for todays aviation environment, as I belong to those who think that all jetengines should sound like a PW 217/219, and not a sorry excuse for a hair dryer :D

Rgds Timilu

747FOCAL
13th Dec 2003, 06:19
Timilu,

I guess it comes down to how your flying it. They don't give you PAX haulers much time to play with the REAL performance of your airplanes. Now those UPS guys flying empty 757s out of Boeing Field, they get to see what its like to fly a fighter jet almost. :E

Disarm the ATR system so you get MAX power from both engines and you may have something........

Timilu
14th Dec 2003, 04:32
ATR= Automatic Thrust Restauration
ART= Automatic Reserve Thrust.....Mixed them up myself quite a few times.
Closest I get to pointing the nose straight up these days, is a light weight MD90 takeoff. Now thatīs something too.

Timilu

747FOCAL
15th Dec 2003, 21:21
Yah ART is what I meant. Had a few beer in me when I answered that. :cool:

SimCaptain
20th Dec 2003, 18:12
Hi everyone !

I think the most interesting passenger aircraft I've ever been a passenger in, must be the Boeing 717 (MD-95).

Near VTOL performance!

Flew Bangkok Airways from Koh Samui to BKK in one of them.

Fully packed with PAX, it was a terrific take-off. Lots of power ! - Near vertical climb !!!

(almost)...

Not many of them flying around, at least in Europe !

Best regards

buzz boy
23rd Dec 2003, 07:13
have flown the F100 for a few thousand hours! the early versions with the RR tay 620 engines are a bit under powered when at max TOW the RR tay 650 engines were alot better. the flight deck can be quite noisy due to the pilots sitting above the air conditioning packs, but i have to say the aircraft is a terrific design! not many swept wing jets you can take off clean (zero flap) and climb to cruising speed/ altitude without a config change.

the huge rear speed brake is wonderful, have done 320kts to a 12 mile final deployed the speed brake and been fully configured for landing at vref plus 10 flap 42 gear down by 1000' !!

the autoland system is fantastic! certified to cat 3b zero decision and 75 m viz with up to 25 kts x wind, autopilot is dis engaged at 60 kts!!very impressive and always lands on the centerline!! (more than i can do!)
a great fun to fly airplane let down by reliablility problems.

747FOCAL
23rd Dec 2003, 12:29
Its xmas and off for the week(drinking lots), but all you pilots know stay on the ground (exceed Vr by 40 knots) and pull hard and yes you get great climb. Do that with PAX and you will be flying a dung hauler. :E

j3cubcapt
9th Jan 2004, 23:35
Flew the F100 for Midway out of Raleigh NC. I loved the aircraft. Very well designed for the pilot. Loved the automation. Now flying to 737 and missing the Fokker!

MotorFokker Club....

J3

Baron rouge
11th Jan 2004, 23:49
Flew both F100 and MD 82/83, and although the MD is more powerfull, I much prefer the F100 for its avionics, I am sure the 717 must be The A/C.

As for passenger comfort sitting in the front rows is perfect, much better than any Boeing or Airbus, but sitting in between the two engines, what can you expect ?

Romeo Delta
25th Jan 2004, 10:57
Haven't flown the F100 as pax yet, but I fly a lot of MD87s (my company flies Delta almost exclusively).

As has been mentioned previously, up front it's pretty smooth and quiet. But anywhere from just in front of the wings on back, you're in for a loud ride, whether it's the APU or wind noise or engine noise, you can barely hear yourself think.

Groundbased
26th Jan 2004, 22:28
Only time I went on the McD was when Airtours were using them back in the late eigties early nineties.

Went MAN to the Canaries and got parked in the last row of seats. The loudest most uncomfortable trip I have ever had, and it gave me one of the worst headaches of my life.

On the way back I got in about row 6 or 7 and it was a great ride, smooth and quiet.

Seems to tie up with everyone else's experience.

Rick-LPI
1st Feb 2004, 00:40
Buzz Boy

As an ex Fokker salesman ( 24 years ago) its nice to hear from a satisfied driver