PDA

View Full Version : Things all pilots would buy...if they existed.

Whirlybird
5th Dec 2003, 21:54
I was complaining to Genghis that I had to get up at 6am today to teach a trial lesson, which probably would be cancelled if the 18 hour TAFS were right, but I couldn't be certain till the morning. He suggested....

a TAF dependent alarm clock! :)

That got me thinking. What else would we all buy...if only it existed?

Note - the weather was OK but the student didn't show up. :{ :{ :{

greatorex
5th Dec 2003, 22:12
Ooh, Good one Whirly!

Umm. . . Don't know what gadget I'd buy, but how about us all clubbing together and buying a Herd of Cows, Some Seaweed to hang out the window and a dozen or so Pine Cones?. . . After all, they're bound to be more accurate than the bl00dy TAFs!!! :D ;) :D ;)

Cheers,

G

SATCO Biggin
5th Dec 2003, 22:30
Clear plastic or glass 'see through' fuel drain points on aircraft. So you can see if there is water contamination or not without having to drain into a tube or cup first.

I always seem to get an 'armful' of Avgas over my clothes and grubby stains from the underside of the aircraft.

Regards

AerBabe
5th Dec 2003, 22:50
A cheap Mustang? :(

MLS-12D
5th Dec 2003, 23:01
Some sort of superduper thermal-sensing spectacles would sell like hotcakes amongst the soaring crowd.

Aerbabe: you can pick up one of these 2/3 Mustangs (http://www.alternate-airpower.com/armstrong.html) for about US$100,000 or less; will that do?:D

dublinpilot
5th Dec 2003, 23:35
A rich aviation loving girl friend, who is both understanding and understandable! ;)

In Altissimus
6th Dec 2003, 00:16
Whirly,

I hope your TAF Dependent Alarm Clock will have my patented METAR-Override feature...

I would pay to have the "Land-o-matic" (sic) fixed on the Cessna - but I don't think it EVER really existed :rolleyes:

Also, if Santa could sort out a 200kt, IFR-legal, tricycle-gear, 4 seater, AVTUR-sipping steed (for under, say £20k) I should be most grateful...

IO540
6th Dec 2003, 02:38
Dublinpilot has got his priorities exactly right. But I thought that Ireland was full of young women who would love to fly, preferably in the "away" direction :O

Fly Stimulator
6th Dec 2003, 04:13
Non-diuretic coffee, guaranteed safe to consume before embarking on long flights. :ooh:

FNG
6th Dec 2003, 04:35
Aerbabe beat me to it, the answer has to be more and cheaper (full size) Spitfires and Mustangs. I don't want people to think I'm a cheapskate, so I'll settle for 100K as a fair price if they chuck in the guns as well.

MLS-12D
6th Dec 2003, 05:17
FNG,

I doubt that they'll throw in the guns, but if you buy a scaled down Mustang you can fit it out yourself with 1/2 scale machine guns (http://www.lakesideguns.com/title1/m2.html) in .22 calibre. :ooh:

paulo
6th Dec 2003, 05:39
I think Whirly made the ultimate tactical mistake. Start the thread with the best answer! A TAF alarm clock, oh yes.

The only thing to better it would be something to warn you not to have too many beers before a...erm.... what's the term for a clear day? VIS... ummmm. Oh dear, too many beers. :rolleyes:

(Erm, CAVOK was what I was looking for. Blimey. Me, current? Where's the bun?)

Tinstaafl
6th Dec 2003, 22:12
A 500' to 4000' AGL (user selectable) 360 deg panoramic view from o'head the departure aerodrome, available on the ground. Optional upgrades to include destination(s), alternate(s) &/or waypoints.

The number of times a limited view from the ground of how the Wx looks is NOT a good representation of what's happening just over the ridge...

knobbygb
7th Dec 2003, 06:31
A panel mounted PAUSE button.

dublinpilot
7th Dec 2003, 06:46
Air brakes that stop you rather than slow you down?

ratsarrse
7th Dec 2003, 23:26
Computer game-style 'quicksave' and 'quickload' functions. Great for things like landings: you save when you turn finals, then if you're not too happy with how the landing turned out, you just load and try again.

Just think of all those foot-in-mouth situations you could avoid...

stiknruda
8th Dec 2003, 01:34
A weather-wand that that when wiggled about would give clear blue days just like today, it would only work 364 days a year - as today was magic all by itself!

Flew both my aeroplanes and had so much fun only Sunday roast tempted me down - well actually, the thought of the b0llOcking if I was late persuaded me down!

Stik

Penguina
8th Dec 2003, 21:55
1000m of good condition tarmac that is 'unplottable' in a Harry Potter style so that I can practise and practise to my heart's content unseen. No one watching/laughing, no one cutting me up on final or blocking my runway and no one making late downwind calls when I seem, spookily, to be late downwind too and distracting me.

I'd only need it for about a year or two I'd have thought before I can fly a flawless approach and landing every time.

:O

Oh yes, and with a little dial for wind speed and another for direction and a button that turns it into 450 metres of lumpy grass so that I can set my challenge according to my mood.

In fact, why stop there? How about my own 40 square nautical miles patch of Class P (Penguina only) airspace, extending up to the tropopause, so I can practise everything else too? I could charge people for transits to pay for my aeroplane.

I'm good at this fantasy lark, me.

cblinton@blueyonder.
8th Dec 2003, 23:25
A maintanance free aircraft that pays for its own Cof A etc:ok:

Mike Cross
9th Dec 2003, 00:51
You've already got one that can land on a shingle beach, what more do you want?

Mike

whosyerdaddy
9th Dec 2003, 01:10
A 4 hour bladder:confused:
and English speaking ATCOs in France:}

cblinton@blueyonder.
9th Dec 2003, 15:55
M C

Mike dont forget the P2s auto shoe warmer! ****:rolleyes:

Genghis the Engineer
9th Dec 2003, 17:19
That's cheating, the instructors footwarmer is already available as an optional mod on Shadows.

G

NinjaBill
9th Dec 2003, 17:57
Although not specifically aviation related, i'd like a bed cooler. It would work like a reverse electric blanket, so that 5 minutes before my alarm clock went, my bed would get cold, therefore making it easier to get out of bed on cold winter mornings.

NB

Mike Cross
10th Dec 2003, 00:59
Genghis

I hope it works better on the Shadow than on cblinton's Bonanza.

He's referring to the large spark that came from the footwell when I was trying to move the P2 pedals friom their stowed to working position. Made me jump I can tell you.

Mike

cblinton@blueyonder.
10th Dec 2003, 02:24
Mike

I have had the foot well checked out and seems there is nothing stray! maybe the spark came from your shoes! I hear they were moving about alot the previous night:ok: