PDA

View Full Version : My chat with HSBC

buster172
3rd Dec 2003, 21:17
Hello fellow wannabes,

I have just had a meeting with my local HSBC regarding finance for a modular ATPL.

Reading all the advice I have seen on Pprune I thought I would briefly describe my initial experience and hopefully give back a little in return.

Let me say at this time I am awaiting the result so will keep you posted, and let you know if the proposal I put forward did the job.

I might also start by saying a big thank you to Blueskyrich. Without his help and input my proposal would not have been as well thought out or in depth as it was. Please, take a bow.

Ok, initially I popped into my local branch after work, looking smart and presentable. I asked to speak to some one regarding the ‘Post Graduate and Professional Studies Loan’. At first the man behind the desk didn’t know what I was talking about and wasn’t sure they even did one. As has been mentioned on the forums before, it is essential to get through to someone who knows what they are talking about.

After a little discussion and my convincing him it was worth asking for help he went off and got me a lovely lady who was very understanding and had experience with pilot training applications.

We discussed what I wanted and I asked what I should do in order to convince them to give me the money. The jist of this conversation was that I should bring in everything that would demonstrate my ability to successfully complete my training and secure a paying position. Obvious really!

Suggested examples of this were my PPL (Basic ability to fly demonstrated)
GAPAN testing. (High score and indication of high chance of success in pilot training)
Hons Degree, (Demonstrated ability to learn and apply knowledge)
Air Cadet since age 13, now civilian instructor and CGI for the Air training Corps on Vigilant Motor Gliders (demonstrated commitment to aviation?)

These were the things I thought would allow me to demonstrate my commitment. I don’t believe that having a degree is necessary in order to apply, but at my young age it perhaps shows I can at least stick something out, don’t mind being poor for years etc.

Stage 2

As previous posts have outlined I think it is very important to promote a professional image, i.e., shirt and tie, polished shoes, well presented information and knowing the subject inside out, as I am sure you all do!

I spoke to the same lady again and it was a very informal chat about what I wanted to do. We discussed how much I wanted to borrow, when and where I proposed to train and how I thought I would manage on completion of the license.

She jotted down a few notes as I spoke and answered her questions although I had it all written down in my proposal.

The format of which was

Introduction, Why I wanted to fly, why I had chosen this route and would be successful etc, A chance to show my enthusiasm!

Training, What training I specifically required to complete a frozen ATPL and what that involved

The medical, How important it was and that I had a class 1 as required.

Market, How the market was looking and with emphasis on how things were looking up!

Detailed course costs.

Module duration, How, where and when I planned to do things, why and what the cost involved would be are.

Alternatives, Other ways that I could complete my training, i.e. instructing for a period before doing the IR

After I had answered all her questions we talked about an applicant who had come in a few weeks previously. They had asked for £50-80,000 for an integrated course, but apparently didn’t know anything about the training, where they wanted to go, how much it was really going to cost. Or have a job. I don’t think that they were overly impressed with that approach, so it appears that by putting a clear plan together that can be read in isolation was a good way to go. She thought I had obviously thought long and hard about it, and planned well. Now all this is well and good, but I have read posts where the bank seemed very interested, as did the branch I approached only to be turned down. So it is with fingers crossed I write this to you.

What happens now is my application is passed to the manager who I believe has the ultimate say regarding the decision. I just hope I have convinced the woman I spoke to how serious I really am about becoming a commercial pilot and that that will be conveyed.

I hope that this small novel will help other applicants a little, even if its to get a taste of what happens. I wait with baited breath the outcome of what I feel is the most important interview of my life!

Thanks again to all the wannabe’s and Ppruner’s who have taken the time to put there experiences down here and let me learn from them, I just hope I did it right.

All the best,

Buster172

:)