PDA

View Full Version : Certificated Flight Instuctor

M.85
3rd Dec 2003, 20:03
Dear all,

I am starting to think of going for a CFI rating.
I hold a JAA ATPL(unfrozen) and since no jobs available I need to get this CFI thing to increase my chances to fly a bit.

Which would be the cheapest way?school?average salary of a CFI?(just need enough to live),lengh of the course?avearge cost and time to get one.?

Thank you for your time,

Safe flying,

M.85

:ok:

FlyingForFun
3rd Dec 2003, 20:58
Sorry - I can't really answer your questions, since I haven't got round to researching this properly yet. But neither have you, from the sound of your post - no offense intended.

First of all, I think Certified Flying Instructor is an FAA term. If you hold a JAA license, I would guess you will want to do an FIC to become an FI(R)? A CFI in the UK tends to be a Chief Flying Instructor.

You say you hold a JAA ATPL. Since one of the requirements for this is 500 hours of multi-pilot time, I'd guess you've spent some time flying some stuff that will make a PA28 or C152 look pretty boring. If I were in a position to hire flying instructors (which I'm not), I would have to wonder why you're applying for the job... whether you really want to be a flying instructor, or whether it's just a stop-gap until you get a job flying something bigger. It's obvious from your post that the latter is the case... and it will most likely be obvious from your CV too - so you'd better have some pretty good answers ready!

For an idea of the cheapest way of getting the rating, I'd start by phoning some schools that offer the course. There are plenty of threads in the Instructors forum about salary, so that won't be too hard to research (I assume you've found Instructor's forum? ;))

Sorry if this sounds a little harsh... but I wouldn't want to see you waste several thousand pounds on a course you wouldn't want to do, and I wouldn't want to see future students wasting several thousand pounds on an instructor who doesn't want to be instructing.

Good luck, though.

FFF
-------------

M.85
3rd Dec 2003, 21:13
Dear FFF,

You may be right,I do have more than 500 MpA,2400 to be exact.
Yes it might be an expensive way to keep flying but believe me in todays market id rather fly a c152 than nothig at all.
If schools dont want to employ me because of my experience,then where is the world going??
I have tought pilots on Metroliners3 and i quite enjoyed it..and i would love to teach ppls and give them some real experience feedback not just books stuff.
I will do my research then.

Safe flying,

M.85

desafinado
3rd Dec 2003, 22:20
Posting a question without having done any research is not unusual (consulting pprune is a start, is it not?), but writing a reply without having anything to say is a different matter (although not too unusual either...). No offense.

M.85, getting an instructor rating is generally not a bad idea. When I did my AFI course in the late 90s, I paid about GBP4000 (if memory serves), which wasn't the cheapest back then. But then again, you might not want the cheapest, since there is much more to consider than price. How many aircraft and instructors, what state are they in, how fast will they get you through the syllabus (mine took just over two weeks), will they get you in touch with someone who recently did the training with them, would they possibly offer you a job with them afterwards, will they have an examiner booked for you when you are ready, reputation of the flying school? At this point I can highly recommend T.G.Aviation in Manston/Ramsgate, they scored 100% in everything I mentioned (didn't offer me a job, but then again, I didn't ask). The day I did my test I had three job offers from flying schools as an instructor, and I am sure that the right choice of training facility did have something to do with it.
Back then there was no shortage of instructors though, which did reflect in the salary you could expect. 200 pounds retainer per month and 10pounds per flying hour was not unusual, but I don't know what the situation is at the moment. Since it is not possible to go down the 'self-improver'- route any more, I would have thought that there are far less instructors around. All the wannabes do the approved courses now, and most of them are expecting jet jobs at the end of their training, possibly settling for a modern turboprop with a pax airline. They don't even seem to consider an instructors job or air taxi etc. any more to get experience (that's my personal experience with the 'new' chaps). But, as I said - I don't know what the instructor job-market is like right now. The rating itself is very good, though. I learned more about (my) flying than during the time to get my fATPL. And it's heaps of fun, too.
But is the instructor job really the one for you (as FlyingForFun already mentioned)? I disagree with you that there are no jobs to be had at the moment, especially for more experienced people. The airline I work for has both lost and taken on new pilots, and that is pretty much true for a lot of the airlines, at least in the turboprop world.
Good luck, and happy flying.
des

M.85
4th Dec 2003, 23:09
Hi des,

Thank you for your reply.
I have sent over 270cvs since June.One aptitude test(didnt work out)and one interview with NetJets(still waiting).I should know by Monday HR said.
The problem is that all of my flight experience was done in the US(colorado,kansas,dakotas,louisiana were my different bases).
I have called operators to fly senecas..told me to send a cv..but not heard anything yet ..except one which had a king air 90 but i had to pay 9000£ to fly the right seat...sorry but having flown the be1900 single pilot..i didnt see it to be the right idea..

2 weeks sounds very reasonable for an instructor licence..ill look into the flight school tomorrow.

Who are you flying for/type?
A friend of mine whos a Capt on 737 told me flybe hired lately..but it seems they are all low time guys..

Regards,

M.85

BillieBob
4th Dec 2003, 23:52
Forget the 2 weeks. That may have been possible in the 90's but the course for the JAA FI(Restricted) is 125 hours ground training and 30 hours flight training - you'll be lucky to complete that in under 4 weeks, more likely 6 or more at this time of the year.

dorosenco
5th Dec 2003, 00:05
M85,

Do you have a FAA instructor certificate ? If you do than you are entitled to a course reduction. Minimum 30hrs ground school and 15hrs flight are required.

good luck.

Meeb
5th Dec 2003, 04:29
The CFI certificate has to be current to get a reduction, and the FTO has to agree.

M.85
5th Dec 2003, 19:44
Unfortunately i dont have an FAA CFI.
An ATPL and type on aircraft was enough to instruct.
I am still very interested in following an FI course but finances is being the problem.It will have to be in a few months,if i dont get a job by then.

Thank you for your replies.

Safe Flying,

M.85