PDA

View Full Version : Technical questions about flying in the US – NOT ‘where should I go’

knobbygb
3rd Dec 2003, 19:13
Technical questions about flying in the US – NOT ‘where should I go’

OK, off to Arizona in February. Searched all the other thread and got my itinerary planned. Also had some help from other Pruners – thanks again :ok: Now for a few technical questions:

Fuel. Why do most places in the UK fuel to the tabs and most over there top the tank off completely? Are both correct methods? The CFI at my club doesn’t like the aircraft filled past the tabs, but I suspect it’s a performance thing (short grass runways). There's a hell of a difference betwween 34 and 48 USgal (Pa28).

Fuel again. How do these self-fuelling rigs that many places seem to have work? I assume you just stick your credit card in, dispense fuel (with earth wire attached) and then depart. Is that it? It’d be quite embarrassing to have to be shown by a local, or get in trouble for blowing up the airport :eek:

Oil. I’ll be doing about 20 hours away from base. I assume I’ll have to give the engine some oil at some point but I’ve never done that before, being a club renter. So, I buy some oil of the appropriate grade, pour in the correct amount, done. Is that it? On a well maintained 180hp Lycoming, just how much oil burn is normal?

Alert Areas. I could check online for this but… Am I right in thinking that an Alert Area is of lesser relevance than a Restricted or Prohibited area? I can just fly though, but ought to be in contact with the controlling authority? Never came across this one before – I don’t think Florida has any.

Leaning for takeoff at high altitude. I THINK I’m OK with this, and I’ll be having training when I get there, but anyone have any tips so I can appear to know my stuff better? More important perhaps – leaning for landing at, say, a 6000ft field. I’d want max power for a go-around so I wouldn’t want to be fully rich, so how do I know where to set the mixture when the engine’s idle on approach and I’m descending quite rapidly?

FBO’s. It seems normal practice to borrow courtesy cars from FBO’s for short local trips. I assume there’s an insurance issue here for non US residents who don’t have a US motor policy. Anyone ever used such cars? Also, is it normal to tip linemen who fuel the a/c or FBO people who give you rides to hotels/resteraunts etc. and how much? I always feel guilty parking for free, being given a ride to the office, getting free drinks (and even cakes at one place) and not paying!

Thanks to anyone who has time to answer one or more of the above. I’m sure I’ll think of loads more questions before now and Feb.

slim_slag
3rd Dec 2003, 21:52
Planes are rented wet i.e fuel is priced into the hourly rental. When you purchase fuel away from base, you will rarely get reimbursed the whole amount when you return. So if you are going to go on a cross country it's cheaper to "tanker" the fuel with you than buy it off base, so you fill to the top. Do what you see fit, and remember weight when at high DA. Sometimes it's better to take off below tabs, and fill up at a lower airport, use your best judgement and ALWAYS know how much fuel you have.

You have got the fuel pump thing figured, except you put your tail reg in too. Don't be embarrased about being uneducated in these things, everybody did it for the first time once, and you will find the Yanks who fly GA are not in the habit of being a-holes. You will rarely find a nicer bunch. They will "dig" your accent and be delighted when you tell them the US is such a wonderful place to fly small airplanes - and after an hour that is exactly what you will say.

Ask the FBO when you depart for an extra quart or two of oil, and tie it somewhere in the back.

Alert areas are not an issue. Get flight following anyway.

Lean before you get to the pattern, then a bit richer. Never go full rich high up (though some would say you should if you are overheating). They will make sure you know this, but having said that most CFI's in lowland Arizona don't understand mountain flying properly. They kill students quite regularly :( Don't be complacent up there. If you have never flown in the mountains before, and are seriously worried about your power when going around, you probably should not be flying there. Don't be complacent about mountain flying.

In the states, if the car is insured, so are all legal drivers (or mine always have been). Sure, give the lineboy a buck or two, he will appreciate it. If you use a courtesy car fill it up with gas. They are not generally for keeping, just for a trip into town for a burger, don't abuse the courtesy. If a lineboy drives you into town, and comes get you, give him five bucks. These guys don't earn much, and they are usually great people (as I said, like the vast majority of people in GA in the US). Remember they don't expect tips, unlike barmen and waiting staff. They generally work to earn flying hours.

david viewing
3rd Dec 2003, 21:53
I've flown a lot in Az but don't claim to be an expert.

Fuel. The fuel man will do what you ask, but many FBO's fill to the top automatically, so be sure to get in first. In Feb you should have less problem with density altitude and they have long runways. I fly light and always fill right up.

The self fuelling rigs work fine and in my experience work with UK credit cards (but many gas station pumps don't). The instructions are displayed and there should be a manual in a cabinet nearby. But don't be afraid to ask a local for help - they'll always be freindly.

Ask your FBO for some oil to take with you. Save embarrassment. My experience of usually very tatty rental planes is that the engines are excellent.

Alert, MOA, etc. Just call the FSS on the phone or the radio and ask advice on use, frequencies, etc.. The controlling agency is listed in the margin of the chart. In my experience, when an area is active it's often a bit more than the one or two aircraft you might see in a UK danger area. Controlling agencies seem always open, unlike the UK - but that's another story.

Leaning. I think if in doubt full rich, but leaning improves takeoff or go around performance when it's hot. As a UK pilot, I've forgotton to lean on run-up and not noticed the difference at 5000' alt. I don't think you could ever get a rich cut through not leaning, but maybe someone knows better... you could certainly get plug fouling at low revs which is why they lean for taxi. They will show you a mixture position that considered good for landing, similar to the position you get at taxi. In the end, you are renting wet, and they pay for the gas.

I've often used courtesy cars, but am certain that they are not insured. I don't know any way to get cover on this either. If anyone does please advise. Drive carefully!

I don't tip FBO's and have never noticed any kind of issue. But I do sometimes tip the drivers if they are young, working through college, etc, and they always seems pleased.

Aim Far
3rd Dec 2003, 23:04
I agree with all the previous comments.

Fuel - its almost always worth flying with full tanks, weight and balance permitting just because it gives you so many more options.

One point on the credit card machines is that they'll ask how much fuel you want before you put any in. Just put 48 gallons - its only used to pre-authorise the card. Sometimes there will be an "on" switch. You're better off getting FBO fuel though - you get much more local information from the staff than from the credit card machine.

Courtesy cars - I got the impression that these are sometimes provided by the airport/state rather than than the FBO and that there is some sort of insurance policy arising out of that. I thought my travel policy covered them (it covers hire car insurance) till I got home and realised it only covers rental from authorised rental companies so probably not FBOs. Its not a criminal offence to have no insurance in the USA, albeit you are taking a big risk if you don't have any.

Dont rely on there being courtesy cars - even if there are some, they are usually not available for overnight trips. Usually not a problem though as the hotels will come and pick you up.

I didn't tip linemen and they didn't seem to mind. I would offer a tip to anyone who gave me a ride though (usually hotel maintenance guys).

david viewing
3rd Dec 2003, 23:54
Aim Far

Interesting about your travel insurance - does that mean you don't need to take out the CDW PAI SLI etc when you rent a car? These more than double the rate in my experience.

At least one auto pump I can remember had a 'top up' option.

Aim Far
4th Dec 2003, 00:39
David Viewing

Yes, thats right. It covered all the insurance the hire car people tried to sell me ie 3rd party liability, CDW, losses on the car etc. There was a section in the booklet written for the rental agencies specifying what it covered and a number for them to call if they had any questions.

It was an American Express annual policy - cost about £200 but that pays for itself in 2 or 3 weeks if you are renting a decent car. About another £50 or so on top for pilot cover. I was there for 10 weeks so it made sense.

willbav8r
4th Dec 2003, 00:45
1/ Fuel. Ask the right stuff when you are being checked out from the school/FBO rental. Should be full reimbursement (?) Ask about the best places for fueling. Check your flight guide and call ahead if unsure. Make sure your credit card will work!! UK Visa may bounce? Switch ain't no backup neither!

Taking off at the tabs. Why? W&B? If not an issue (i.e. only you aboard) fill her up whenever possible. Please.

2/ Oil. Arizona is a tad warm. Even in February. Expect to lose 1 quart per 1.5 hrs or less. Leave with NO LESS than 7 qts in the engine (check your POH but I think you said PA28 type? Carry a spare quart or two, and check and replenish at every fuel stop or engine shutdown. I used not to do this. Almost embarassed myself over mountains with loss of oil and oil pressure, so trust me ok. Just be sure you know what weight / type and if you have a fuel guy or gal topping up the tanks, they will also top up the oil! Just like, er, a gas station.

3/ Leaning. Checkout flight will be the perfect time to review with instructor and ensure you are getting it done correctly. You WILL need to lean, and the runup is a good time to make sure you are getting peak EGT (or RPM if no EGT gauge). Your ears and senses will also tell you if doing properly.

4/ Alert areas (MOA's etc). Check your CURRENT charts, and with FSS when obtaining a standard briefing and filing a flight plan. Also, Flight Following should be considered essential, and they will have the up to date info. Treat these areas with care, and keep your eyes peeled if cleared to enter. Lots of fast movers playing in the desert sun.....

Have fun. It rocks to fly out here!

Sensible
4th Dec 2003, 00:55
Here we go off on a tangent again, I buy an annual car rental insurance policy from Strategic Claims Management Ltd. 0845 458 9677 You have to own a Nat West credit card and pay for the car rental on that same Nat West card to make it legal. I find that the cost which was £75.00 for the year is well worth while. It covers car rental everywhere in the world. I find it’s peace of mind when renting cars in the USA and taking them over the border into Mexico where it’s usual to buy insurance at the border. The tricky thing about insurance is that you have to deal with the insurers in their language and in their country. The cost is recouped i9n a few days renting cars in the USA and the bonus is the peace of mind that you will be dealing with an insurer in the UK rather than a foreign insurer if all goes pear shaped!.

FWA NATCA
4th Dec 2003, 01:07
knobbygb,

It appears that you're getting some pretty good answers, but I will add, when in doubt don't hesitate to ask.

The majority of the FBO's are staffed with helpful employees who are more than willing to assist you with fueling, tie downs, or information about where to eat or stay. Not all FBO's have coursity cars, so if you need one you may want to check ahead.

As for tipping, it varies with the service but my feeling is, if you feel that the individual provided you with good service or went over and above what you think is normal then a tip is warranted. Back when I use to work on the flight line few GA pilots tipped (Corporate pilots were the big tippers). If you do tip a few dollars is not unreasonable, more if you feel that you received above normal service.

As for Restricted Areas, Military Operations Areas, Prohibitive Areas, when you recieve your pre-flight briefing from AFSS they should know when, and what altitudes will be hot for that day, when in doubt don't hesitate to ask the controlling facility which should be listed on your charts. If you get buzzed by the military it's a good sign that the area is hot, if you see one fighter, I guarantee that there will be at least three or more in the flight that you didn't see, and trust me they love to fly low and real fast (like in excess of 500 kts). Even if the area is COLD, keep your eyes on a swivel, just in case.

Don't hesitate to request VFR flight following from the controlling IFR facility, though out west you probably will deal with one of the En-Route Centers more so than one of the approach controls, service will depend on the quality of radar coverage. You will find most controllers extremely helpful, the ATC service is FREE so why not use it.

By the way when are you planning on taking your vacation?

Mike
FWA

PhilD
4th Dec 2003, 01:24
knobby

Aren't you going to tell us all where you are planning to go? I did Las Vegas to Monument Valley and back in October and had a great time. I'm sure you will too - everyone in the US makes flying in the US such fun.

knobbygb
4th Dec 2003, 06:03
Thanks everyone. Just got in from work - what a great set of replies, as usual from Prune :ok:

Mike and Phild, I'm going at the end of February with a non-pilot (but interested) friend and will be renting an Archer from Chandler for 4 or 5 days. Here's what I plan (hit BACK now if other peoples holiday plans bore you).

Day 0. Training in mounting flying, and FBO checkout/BFR (approx 4 hours). Get all those leaning issues resolved and get the instructor to talk me through using a self service fuel rig.

Day1 - Our plan is to head up from the Phoenix area towards Las Vegas for the first night, stopping off along the way as and when we feel like it, but definately at Kingman, Az - as this is where I took my first flight in the US 2 years ago and just about where I'd most like to live in the whole world. I plan to fly into Mc Carran on the first night - talk about baptism by fire :uhoh: Fuel will cost a fortune, but we'll be able to get a van ride to a motel on the strip quite easily. airnav.com tells me that Executive is the FBO to use. 4hrs flying

Day 2 - very early start (put that jetlag to good use!) LAS to Furnace Creek, Ca (Death Valley, 210ft below sea level). I see this as a must to get in my logbook. After breakfast locally, a long flight east towards Page, Az, stopping somewhere in southern Utah (St George, Hurricaine, Kanab) for fuel/food because I've never been to Utah! It's that leg of the flight that takes me through/round/under all thoase restricted and alert areas and MOA's north of Las Vegas/Nellis. 5hrs flying

Day 3 - Would like to fly east to see monument valley but I don't think we'll have time really, so from Page, head south across the painted desert towards the meteor crater near Winslow then head south back to Chandler, stopping somewhere like Payson or Show Low. I know Sedona is considered a 'must' but I've been before, albeit by car so not bothered about going again, and I love the eastern Arizona mountains/forests around the Show Low/Payson/Snowflake area so will go there instead - see if anything is left after last summers wildfires :( 4.5hrs flying

Days 4 and 5. Days in hand, because the weather will no doubt play a part in wrecking my plans. If I have time I'm going to head down towards the Mexican border - try to find an airfield close enough to actually walk across if possible. Douglas (KDGL) looks like it actually straddles the border on the chart. I'll be stopping of at Tuscon, and trying to get the Davis Monthan overflight if that's still allowed. I'd also like to call in at some of the other places where airliners are stored (Goodyear, Marana etc.) if we get chance.

Oh, and must do the PHX VFR transition at some point - over the ends of the runways at 2000ft agl - only in the USA, eh?

Does anybody think we're trying to fit too much into the first 3 days? Chandler only allow rentals of 3 days/2 nights away from base so I'm a bit tied really, although there's not a lot they can do if I get stuck due to "freak local weather" and take 4 days ;)

So, will anyone else, either British or local, be out there between approx 27 Feb and 5 March? I'd love to meet up for beer/food and am willing to tailor the above itinerary if necessary. Let's face it, it'll probably all go out the window after the first day anyway :\

Sensible
4th Dec 2003, 07:50
You will probably be directed into Signature flight services at McCarran, on all three times I have been into there, I was directed into there. Just take on the minimum fuel required for the handling charge waiver, I think it's about $25 worth. They will still charge you around 35 bucks for the overnight parking although there is a courtesy drop off to a hotel which the staff fon the desk will find for you but it's a lot cheaper usually finding a deal on the internet at your departure airfield. Avoid going into Las V during holidays, room rates go through the roof! If you are going through the Grand Canyon National Park, get a separate map specially for the National park showing the corridors and always, always, get flight following, the USA is vast and it could ruin your whole life if you got lost in the deserts and in any event, radar cover makes the whole experience more relaxing. Atc will also guide you if you are running close to any special corridors or restricted areas.

Get the cameras ready for Page, approach high and get a view over the waters and red rocks, an absolute treat near sunset, unfortunately, I visited when there was a lot of turbulence and windshear so had to forego the pictures in preference to reassuring my passenger that it wasn't our last flight!!!.

englishal
4th Dec 2003, 16:30
My wifes mate lives at Chandler and flies from there. Was going to try to make it out there from LA last time I was over, but Socal were in the process of burning down, and the vis was ****e.....

Good comments from other people. My only advice would be to remember Density altitude, even in Feb, in something like an archer. My trick to asses climb performance is to put the plane into T/O config on downwind (to land), give it max power and see how well I can climb. You might also want to try full flap as well in case you want to go around. A good high altitude airport should have a runway almost as long as the airport elevation in my opinion......You may NOT want to fill up with fuel at a high altitude airport, its best to land somewhere else lower down to top up.

Leaning for T/O.....In the runup area, give it max power then lean for max RPM / EGT.

Alert Areas: Areas of high pilot training or an unusual aerial activity conducted in accordance with the FARs. You can enter and leave as you wish.

Prohibited Areas: Says it all ! National security issues, or operations dangerous to flight. Not allowed in.

Restricted Areas: Hazardous activities (Artillery, aerial gunnery, guided missiles). Clearance from controlling ATCU required to enter.

Military Operations Areas: High energy manuvers by military aircraft etc, excempt from the FARs (so expect anything). You can enter but are strongly advised to contact the controlling agency first.

As stated, get flight following from Phoenix Approach, who will then either hand you off to LA Centre or Alberquerque Center depending on your route.....

Have fun, you'll have 100km vis out there in Feb!

EA:D

knobbygb
4th Dec 2003, 18:47
Thanks again. Englishal I forgot to ask about flight following. When I want a service when departing a remote airfield, I find out where to contact for flight following from the Facilities Directory entry for that field, right? Just checking, because I haven't got one yet for the SW (an AFD). By the way, your wife's mate wouldn't be female and, better still, single would she ;)

Right last favour, honest! Does anyone who's going to the US in the next month or so fancy picking me up the up-to-date charts I'll need? I checked, and all the current ones are valid until March or April at least. Mine are 2 years old. Places on the internet want to charge upward of $40 postage, so that isn't an option. Obvioulsy I'd send you the dosh before you go along with some extra for beer :D

FWA NATCA
5th Dec 2003, 00:31
knobbygb,

Unless you want to plan ahead you can purchase your charts from the FBO. My personal preference is having both the VFR and IFR sectionals and approach plates (just in case). Check out the FAA web site for your charts at :

http://www.avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/catalog/charts/vfr/sectional

Since you have several months you can order them directly from the FAA. If you are at an airport with a tower request VFR flight following to your destination with handoffs. If you are departing from a non towered airport the controlling IFR facility should be listed in the airport directory or on the sectional chart. Again ask for VFR flight following with handoffs to your destination.

The Las Vegas Strip is awesome, but if you want to save a lot of money for lodging go to the Golden Nugget web site http://www.goldennugget.com and get an internet special room rate (usually about $49). This hotel is really nice, you don't have a zillion people roaming around so the service is top notch.

Public transportation from the Golden Nugget (Freemont Street Downtown Las Vegas) is $1 each way to the strip via the bus which is safe and efficient. Limo service from the airport to the Golden Nugget is about $12 per person (round trip).

If by chance you enjoy downhill skiing, I would highly recommend flying into Salt Lake International, for a day or two and skiing at ALTA ( http://www.alta.com ). There is no better place in the world for skiing in champaign powder (snow) conditions. If this sounds interesting I could put you in touch with a few Controllers that live out there to go skiing with. Lift tickets are about $38, and ski rental (performance packages) are about the same or less. Heck with Las Vegas, go skiing!

The Wastach Mountains are truely beyond belief, in fact weather permitting Jackson Hole Wyoming is awesome to fly into and ski at. The last time I flew into JAC I was sitting in the jump seat of on an A320 (all I can say is awesome).

Mike
NATCA FWA

willbav8r
5th Dec 2003, 01:47
Give North Las Vegas airport a thought. Tie down is $5 per night for a single, and fuel is not $3.75 per gallon. When I looked into McCarran, tie down was around $60 per night?????

The North Las Vegas mob are great - and will give you a lift into town (tip). Just be careful of runway incursions, as I have read NLV is pretty bad....if you go there.

dublinpilot
5th Dec 2003, 02:17
FWA,

Reading your post has made me sooooo jealous of Knobby!!! Oh, i want to go!!!!!:{ :{ :{

dp

slim_slag
5th Dec 2003, 03:57
Expect to lose 1 quart per 1.5 hrs or less. Leave with NO LESS than 7 qts in the engine (check your POH but I think you said PA28 type?

If you start off with 7 quarts in a PA28 it's quite normal to lose a quart in the first hour or so.

There is no "airport" within walking distance of the Mexican border in AZ, and nothing worth the walk if there was.

Not having car insurance is indeed a criminal offence in the US, it all depends on the state. In Arizona, the State car computer is automatically updated by the insurance company when insurance is bought or expires. If you don't have insurance they will suspend the car registration. If you get stopped by a cop with a suspended registration they can take the licence plates. If they take the licence plates the next thing they will do is take the car. Don't worry about it, and besides courtesy cars are not so common nowadays. If you want to get somewhere they probably have a shuttle where you are going, so call them and they will come and get you. The trick is finding the payphone ;)

When you get weather and file your flight plan, ask FSS for the frequency of the controlling ATC facility for VFR flight following. The FBO will know it too. Quite often in that part of the world you will need to climb quite high to get radar identified, they will hear you before they see you. You get top quality service from US ATC and you should use them.

Forgot to say, if you call for a shuttle to collect you it will be free - but be nice and tip the driver a buck or two. Most likely the place you are calling will have an free 800 number too, look it up before you go.

onehunga
5th Dec 2003, 16:42
Couldn't agree more with what everyone else is saying above. Had a few problems with self fuelling myself. Usually due to me forgetting to turn pump on!! Then there are the odd ocassions when the receipt printer doesn't work and you have to chase the FBO for a copy so you can be refunded.

Check out Air Nav (http://www.airnav.com/) for cheap fuel locations if you want to save some money. Generally the cheapest fuel is at the smaller fields. I have done a reasonable amount of hour building in the US so don't find it a drag going out of my way as it is all part of the experience.

Finally, can't recommend North Las Vegas enough. Free shuttle bus as mentioned above (think before about 8pm though) and cheap. Midweek was the cheapest I found at the casinos. I think we got a room for around 80 bucks at the Luxor on something like a Wed night back in Sept. All booked via the internet whilst I was out there.

Have fun.

FlyingForFun
5th Dec 2003, 16:50
I agree with all the comments re North Las Vegas. Very friendly field, transport into town, everything you could want.

However.....

If I were to do it again, I'd go into McCarran. Just once. Just to say I've done it. After that once, sure, go to North Las Vegas if you want to visit the area again - it's cheaper and more friendly.

Just my opinion.

FFF
-------------

Aim Far
5th Dec 2003, 17:32
McCarran is a must just for the final approach and really no problem so long as you're vaguely awake. I would recommend doing it at night.

Executive have been known to say no if you phone and ask them for handling (they prefer shiny jets) but not if you just turn up. I was told by the ground controller that Executive weren't accepting light singles so went to Signature but its worth persevering as Executive are cheaper.

I would also recommend Bryce Canyon if you're going to Utah.

strafer
5th Dec 2003, 18:59
Would like to fly east to see monument valley but I don't think we'll have time really
No, knobby, no!

Just my opinion, but in terms of vistas I don't think there's anything more 'American' than Monument valley (perhaps the Manhatten skyline). It's certainly a must-see when I go hour-building there. Anyone know what regs apply for overflying it?

(Just read your thread title properly, knobby - whoops!)

raisin
5th Dec 2003, 19:47
Would agree with what strafer says. I recently did a big hour building cross country trip from San Jose CA to Amarillo TX and back. Stayed overnight at St. George and would challenge anyone to find a better view than the one offered by the motel right next to the airport for less than the $34/night. The next day flew to overhead Page and then on to Albuquerque and Monument Valley was very clear and visible from about 70 miles south. Certainly one of the things that will stick in the memory for a long time.

Also would just like to add that the FSS briefing service is excellent and is just one of the many things about flying in the US that makes you think that it's almost as though they want GA to flourish.:ooh:

englishal
5th Dec 2003, 20:43
There is no "airport" within walking distance of the Mexican border in AZ, and nothing worth the walk if there was.
Could try Brown Municipal in San Diego County. It is ON the border with Tijuana International. The fence runs straight down the middle of the airport pretty much. Be very careful you get the right runway when you land. I know an IR student who was doing some IFR training with a safety pilot, and they missed the MAP, saw the runway and landed....only to find they were in mexico:O Very luckily for them, the safety pilot was of hyspanic origin and managed to blag their way out of jail for a few paeso's....departed VFR with a quick right turn and landed at Brown. The danger is not getting banged up in a mexican jail, the real danger is getting shot down by a monkey on a stick in his F16 when re-entering US airspace:D (I think they 'overlooked' the DVFR flight plan requirement on the way to get home 'before anyone noticed'....Still they got away with it :O )

JAC would be a brilliant flight, been there in a 737, landing in a blizzard which was quite a ride. Was going to fly there, but the missed approach IFR procedure requires climb to 15,000' (not to mention icing). Unless you're lucky to have clear blue skies it'd be impossible to get in there VFR.

The AFD will provide who to call for flight following, or something like a Jeppesen airport guide. My wifes friend IS female, but I'm afraid she's married:{

Have a good trip....By the way, for a very good deal, land at Laughlin / Bullhead city, which is South of Vegas. Bullhead airport is in Arizona, Laughlin, just across the road is in Nevada. Cheap hotels ($25 per night, bloody lovely), casinos, free booze, girls serving you in short skirts.....Phone the FBO before you go, and thy'll arrange the hotels at their special rate. Its $5 over night parking unless you take fuel (yep, 3 pounds!) then its free........

CU
EA

cgjog182
5th Dec 2003, 22:48
I gave a seminar on just this topic at the Pacific Flying Club last spring.

To rent a U.S. registered aircraft, you'll need a current U.S. license which would be based on your U.K. or JAR license. I was able to get mine at a FSDO (Fizzdoe) in Ft. Lauderdale twelve years ago. No big thing. There are FSDO's all over the place. Contact the FAA for info.

Put as much fuel in the tanks as possible. Distances in the western U.S. are great. Try to plan your fuel stops with at least two hours in the tank. Landing dead stick on an interstate is not a lot of fun. Airnav.com will give you info on the cheapest fuel around any area.

If you've learned how to fly, you can operate a self-service fueler. Just follow the directions. When it asks how much, just punch "fill up." There will be a maximum amount for each concession but you won't even come close.

All FBO's have oil. Not a concern.

Ask for flight following from the local ATC facility. Like me with my Canadian registration, when they hear your Brit accent, they'll assume you're an idiot...and you'll be taken on. They'll keep you clear of restricted areas but it would be a good idea to know where you are and where you are going. GPS helps.

I don't tip the lineman unless they drive me somewhere in their car, lend me their car or generally do something above and beyond. Don't worry about insurance on courtesy cars. That's usually been seen to by virtue of the FBO insurance coverage. Good idea to put some gas in before you return it. Don't expect much in the way of wheels, by the way. I borrowed a Lincoln from an FBO in St. George, Utah that had dirty underwear and someone's half eaten lunch in the back seat. In Medford, Oregon, the Cadillac I borrowed didn't have a fourth wheel. Bring a camera; the folks back home will enjoy seeing the courtesy cars.

AOPA has a great publication that you can buy...or borrow, that has all the airports in the U.S. listed by state. Invaluable. When you go to hotels, ask for the "Crew Rate." Remember, you're the captain of that airplane you flew in on.

Best way to find a good restaurant is by local knowledge. Ask a cop...or better yet, phone a dentist. The receptionist will know everything about everything.

Careful of thunderstorms in the Southwest. February is not really the major TS season, but you never know. Make sure you don't fly cross-border by accident. Big brother is watching.

Local pilots are a great resource. Make friends. Buy some U.K. flag pins as gifts for those who help you.

Enjoy.

Fred

david viewing
5th Dec 2003, 23:16
Totally agree what's been said about Flight Following. New Mexico publish a (FREE!) state VFR aviation chart, on the back of Which is a frequency sector map for FSS and FF. Arizona used to have a similar map but I havn't seen it for a while. The NM map is available from FBO's or no doubt the Governor's office if you write to them - his photo is in it!

North Las Vegas (Northtown to locals) has intersecting runways and LAHSO operations. Evidently they had an incursion collision this year BUT it's a great place and I've never had any kind of problem there, flying there every year except this since 1985. They publish a leaflet with a ground map and aerial photo. There are 2 casinos just down the street - Fiesta and Texas - but note the free ride downtown or strip is one way only. A cab back costs maybe $20. VFR routes into VGT are shown on the terminal area chart, which you should have as well as the sectional.

Do go to Monument Valley. Just go up Lake Powell (Very scenic) to Navajo Mountain and hang a right. It'll add an hour or so to your direct route Page - Winslow. The valley is Indian land, not nat'l park etc., and they are apparently used to people flying low beween the towers. There is a strip there (gravel with a paved bit). There are always people in the valley so the 500' rule applies, but then the towers are 1000' tall. There are big black birds that chase aeroplanes (or me in a 152 anyway) so keep your eyes open!

slim_slag
6th Dec 2003, 00:56
Ah, but San Diego county is in California. The border fence might be walking distance away from Brown Field, but if you try to hop over it they will lock you up. Closest legal frontier crossing point is several miles away, and again the other side is not worth the walk. If you want to do Mexico you should get a flight into the interior, or walk over to TJ and spend a night on the 'Avenue de La Revulsion'.

Monument Valley is one of those places where you are requested to stay 2000ft (I think, no charts here, but they have the dotted blue line around the area) above the highest point, but technically the 500ft rule is the law. This is one of those times where you have to consider your social responsibilities as a flyer. The nicely narrow strip there is one of the rare ones where you have to call ahead, and if you get it wrong and go around you will end up in a cliff.

Aim Far
6th Dec 2003, 01:45
Slim Slag, I was in Monument Valley in May this year and it didn't have any dotted lines. Probably will soon so its worth doing the low flying there while you can.

411A
6th Dec 2003, 14:18
knobbygb,

You have received very good advice here and I have only one item to add...

When you call the FSS for a flight briefing, always ask for a 'standard briefing' as this will provide you with information about TFR's (temp flight restrictions). Always ask about these.

The President and Vice President travel extensively, and when they do, these TFR's are enforced with armed aircraft.
Altho you are not likely to be shot down, if you enter these TFR's without authorization (ie: a filed flight plan and a discrete transponder code) you could be subject to interception, and when you land, a visit to the local jail are a distinct possibility.

The Flight Service folks will give you the information you need to navigate around these areas, or the data to enter same.
These TFR's sometimes are issued on short notice.

englishal
6th Dec 2003, 17:26
Good point from 411A. Normally many of the TFRs only apply to VFR traffic not talking to anyone. If you're IFR or receiving Flight Following from an ATC unit, and have been assigned a descrete txpdr code then you don't need to worry.

An example of this is the Disney land TFR in California. It is something like 3nm radius and up to 3000'. However if you're talking to socal, either IFR or VFR and have been issued a transponder code then its not a problem, you can enter the TFR. If for some reason they want you to avoid them they'll advise you.

Another thing is flight plans. VFR flight plans are not really worth filing unless you have a special reason (crossing the Mexican border for example). If you're receiving FF then this is better than being on a VFR flight plan.....

OK, I'll shut up now :D

Cheers
EA

411A
7th Dec 2003, 08:19
Ah...englishal, just a slight correction to your post.
To be able to enter a Presidential TFR you must be on an IFR flight plan or a VFR flight plan previously filed with the FSS.
Enroute flight following will keep you clear of the TFR's (hopefully) but that VFR flight plan is a necessity to enter same.
The Presidential TFR is very large, a thirty nm radius, with a ten mile 'no fly zone' in the middle.

You should have seen the huffing and puffing from the bizjet crowd at SDL last week when the President visited PHX and the SDL airport was closed for five hours.
After he got back in his big shiney Boeing and flew away, all was normal.

Edited for additional comment;
VFR flight plans filed with FSS are very useful. They contain, amoung other items, the color of the aircraft and the name/telephone contact of the PIC.
If the aircraft should have a forced landing enroute, the Civil Air Patrol will start a search as soon as possible, and will fly grid patterns (in daylight hours) until the the aircraft is found. In addition, these CAP aircraft contain equipment to home in to the ELT.
Flight watch is available from LRCO's (limited remote communication outlet) on 122.0 almost everywhere.
Have personally seen searches conducted for two weeks, until the aircraft (and folks) were found....alive.
MedEvac helicopters are on call 24/7 for airlift to the nearest hospital, especially in Arizona and California.
IMHO, that VFR flight plan is very important.

knobbygb
7th Dec 2003, 17:58
Thanks. I meant to ask about flight plans but forgot. I must admit that I was of the same opinion as englishal - that there wasn't much point most of the time (other than airspace issues such as TFR's and ADIZ's etc.), but I've read 411A's comments and while I don't PROMISE to file for every flight, I certainley will for the longer, remote flights. That terrain looks VERY remote and hostile in places. I know what to do - I've filed them before, I just get lazy sometimes. Anyway, I reckon I should always be in radio contact on my planned route, and will be flying as high as possible, both to keep in radar cover, and to give me more time to panic, er... I mean plan if somthing sohould go wrong.

Good point about asking crew discounts - didn't think of that. And looks like I should be able to use FBO cars for that quick hop into town. Tell you what though, aren't some americans lazy gits (no offence - just my opinion - and I said SOME, not all). Lots of these places advertise things like "Borrow our crew car to go to the local resterant, or if you need to stretch your legs, it's just 100 Yards away - don't worry it's down hill!" or "The motel is right across the street, we'll take you there in out courtesy van". I don't mean to be ungrateful, but do these people think legs are soley for use on rudder pedals and 'fresh air' is somthing that comes out of an airconditioning duct in the dashboard? ;) What could be more pleasant than landing at a small rural airfield and walking a mile or two into town along a dusty desert road to find breakfast? End rant.

www.airnav.com - can't agree more - an invaluable tool for planning a trip. Particularly like the bit that gives fuel prices for 50 mile radius of your destination. My second favourite aviation website after prune.

Another good website is www.swaviator.com Southwest Aviator magazine carries loads of articles about interesting destinations in that part of the world and is the home of the '£100 hamburger' series. Loads of past articles on the website.

strafer, I WILL try to do monument valley. I flew over it once inbound to PHX in a BA 777 and it looked bl**dy amazing from 36,000ft, I must say. We'll just have to get up real early. Sunrise in Page on that day is 06:56 - I checked - the rock formations will look even better in the early morning (or late evening) light. If we take off at 06:30 (no night rating) we might just make it out there for sunrise. EDIT: Yes, I know I can fly an hour before sunrise over there, but I don't think it'll be light enough at that latitude. Perhaps 411A, being local, could advise. Thanks

englishal
7th Dec 2003, 20:05
Ah yea, the Presidental TFRs...nasty things those :) There will often be temp airport closures under the 30 mile Bush Vale, but those nice guys and gals (except one, who, when I asked the status of Big Bear during the California fires told me "Uh, I don't know, could have burnt down for all I care....":mad: ) will brief you well.

By the way, Aeroplanner.com is a good source of info Some of it is free, (like graphical TFRs) but its an excellent service.

Cheers

411A
8th Dec 2003, 01:00
knobbygb,

If you depart Page one hour before official sunrise, you will certainly have a good view...breathtaking in fact.
However, in February it will be well below freezing, so you may need preheat for your aircraft.
Arrange for this the afternoon before, to avoid disappointments.

slim_slag
8th Dec 2003, 01:07
knobbygb,

There are a few places that rent at CHD, but if you are renting from the place I think you are, you better file and activate a flight plan every time. The owners often call up FSS to check, and they will give you a hard time if you don't. Great place, but they need getting used to, which means doing things their way :)

Aim Far, thanks, was from memory, and you are correct

Re AF1, I was on a United flight into Tokyo a few weeks back and we followed AF1 across the N Pacific. Listening in on Channel 9 to Tokyo control, they only ever called out traffic to AF1. Perhaps they didn't want any surprises, but it often took AF1 some time to acknowledge spotting it. Thought they would have better situational awareness...

When Dubya went to SDL recently, friends of mine who fly the medivac have had to put up with them shutting large sections of PHX airspace down for him, and even the medivac helicopters have been kept out on routine flights, but calling 'lifeguard' lets them in. Some of his blood was flown in beforehand, and typed and matched at several PHX hospitals, under the watchful eye of Dubya's own people. That blood was then reserved solely for his use, nobody else would have got it. Not sure he is that important :)

david viewing
9th Dec 2003, 00:24
VFR Flight Plans

Some pilots are reluctant to use flight plans, which might relate to a fear of forgetting to close, resulting in a bawling out or worse.

So what does happen? I once nearly forgot, and was told by FSS that "one more minute and the helicopters would have launched" which I doubt since I landed at my (towered) destination. Surely they would phone, or send the Sherriff to check the ramp if no tower? Does anyone know? Could you get a bill for wasting police, or worse, helicopter time?

Just curious.

BTW, my formula now is to open/close in the air with FSS rather than waiting to get to a phone, which is how I nearly went overdue, and I find this proceedure simpler and easier to remember. I had an approach control volunteer to open a plan for me when I asked for a frequency change recently, but don't know if this is common because when leaving Delta there's no requirement to request change so I just announce it.

FWA NATCA
9th Dec 2003, 02:58
David,

You are responsible for closing and/or opening your VFR flight plans through FSS. The tower controllers may offer to open or close a VFR flight plan for you.

As for SAR, the first step is that a phone call is made to your filed destination airport to see if you arrived (they will call the local airport manager, and if they don't answer, they will call the local police to check the ramp).

If your aircraft is not there (parked on the ramp) then an ALNOT (Alert Notice) is sent out to all air traffic facilities along your route of flight to see if anyone knows where you are at. If no one knows where you are at or has worked you (provided VFR radar advisories) then the controlling enroute facility is notified that you are missing. The enroute center will notify Scott AFB after all standard methods to locate you have failed, Scott AFB then activates Search and Rescue.

Mike
NATCA FWA