PDA

View Full Version : Flying jackets

Ray Ban
29th Nov 2003, 00:09
Evening all!

I'm planning on buying a flying jacket next week but would like to steer clear of Transair and their inflated prices (I don't care for embroidered wings anyway). The ubiquitous bomber jackets look and feel ok - I had one years ago, but I could do without the bright orange inner lining. A collar would be nice.

Good ideas anyone?

Thanks! :)

BEagle
29th Nov 2003, 01:05
www.popsleather.com

Bought my first jacket from the original Pops in Incirlik and have used it ever since.

Ray Ban
29th Nov 2003, 01:53
Thanks BEagle but I'm looking for the synthetic types, hopefully ones that I could even wear outside of aviation as well.

Ray Ban
30th Nov 2003, 01:19
Well this looks really sad that I am posting for a 3rd time on this, my very short thread - still who cares!

For anyone else looking for some cheap, smart and warm aviation clothing for the winter look no further than your local Army & Navy surplus store. They have a large selection of MA1's and 2's (bomber/flying jackets with/without collars) and all reasonably priced. :ok:

Mike Cross
30th Nov 2003, 07:51
If you are looking for something lightweight windproof and warm go to your local sailing or walking store and look for jackets made by Musto or Gill. Thin windproof microfibre shell with a fleece liner and elasticated cuffs. Soft lightweight and comfortable.

Mike

pilotwolf
30th Nov 2003, 14:04
May be teaching you to suck eggs ... But be careful of synthetic clothing in aviation - it melts and sticks to the skin in a fire.

PW

BEagle
30th Nov 2003, 14:46
...and synthetic is as synthetic does.

Ray Ban
30th Nov 2003, 19:37
Thanks people for the input. I should have explained that I don't plan to fly with it, just to keep warm when doing walk arounds and other external duties.

Just my luck, my student and trial lessons cancelled yesterday because of the crappy wx in the SE and today it looks flyable and it's my day off!:{