PDA

View Full Version : ATPL second time around?

wingbar
24th Nov 2003, 22:12
Dear all, just a very brief question to ask how many of you have had to do 2 lots of ATPL exams?
I started the ATPL initially in May 2002 and got to sitting number four with only 5 in the bag. I then went away from flying did a few things in between. On the second ATPL now presently doing the exams for, I have gained 5/5 exams taken in September sittings and intend to take another 5 in January, things so far are going okay.

Although I seem to be doing okay now;
I would really like to hear from anyone who has had a problematic time with ATPL ground studies.

Jinkster
24th Nov 2003, 22:39
second time around for me also.

QNH 1013
24th Nov 2003, 23:36
Ditto except I'm doing the CPL exams as I've already got the IR and need a commercial licence quickly. I find it useful to have my old PPSC books and brush-up course handwritten notes. All things considered I prefered the CAA exams to the JAR exams. The CAA exam questions seemed to always have a suitable answer available. With the JAR exams, some questions seem to have either no strictly correct answer, or two answers that you could argue are both correct. Perhaps its something to do with the translation, or perhaps its just me.

I also notice that the JAR exam subjects aren't so separated and similar questions seem to pop up in different exams. Never mind, I only know one way to get the licence and that is to pass all the exams. By the way it cheered me up to know I'm not the only one going round again.

I notice that the distance learning courses cost more than three times as much as they used to be. Can anyone point out a single advantage of JAR to me? I can't think of any.

Back to the books.

Send Clowns
25th Nov 2003, 04:25
One advantage: Modular is now pretty much equivalent to integrated. Disadvantage is that overall, from zero hours, it costs about as much as integrated used to cost, so only an advantage if you come at this having enjoyed flying as a hobby.

It ain't just you, 1013, it's something that has become known as one of the idiosyncrasies of JAA. Part of the reason for the increased cost - you really do have to know your stuff!