PDA

View Full Version : Flying Schools in Dublin

Hostie from Hell
24th Nov 2003, 02:34
Can anyone help?

Mr H from H is looking for a good flying club in Dublin, to keep him amused when he is not doing his "normal" flying job:)

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

bdconnolly
24th Nov 2003, 02:47
Youn should try Weston Aerodrome out by Lucan-Lexlip area. Only 10 mins from Lucan shopping centre. Though becareful which you chose. One of them I hear is quite lax.

FireFoxDown
24th Nov 2003, 03:55
Hey Hositie,

I recommend you check out the National Flight Centre ( http://www.nationalflightcentre.com/ ). I was flying with them as recently as this morning and find them to be a great bunch! They mainly use C150's and C172's but they also have Piper Super Cubs, a Beechcraft Duchess, a Grumman Goose and a Cessna 206 floatplane.

If "Mr H" has any questions feel free to send me a private msg! :ok:

Hostie from Hell
24th Nov 2003, 05:07
Many Thanks FFD!

I have had a quick look myself and it looks very interesting!:ok:

dublinpilot
25th Nov 2003, 05:39
H from H,

I would suggest that you don't bother with National Flight Centre. My own personal experience of them was very poor (over a period of about 6 months). From speaking to others, my experience is the norm, rather than the exception.

There any only two place in Dublin to fly powered a/c. Weston & Dublin Airport.

Weston is by far, the base for GA in Dublin. I would that you try Sky Trace in Weston. They operate a Robin & an Arrow as far as I know. I haven't flown with them, but have heard nothing but good reports about them.

If you have a ppl and will be in Dublin on a long term basis, you could checkout the clubs in Dublin airport. They do have a joing fee & monthly subscriptions, so not suited to a short stay.

The clubs in Dublin are :

Dublin Flyers (operate a PA28 & a P28R) http://www.geocities.com/dubflyer

Airport Flying Club (operate two C172's ) http://www.airportflyingclub.com/

Leinster Flying Club (operate a C172 I think) http://www.leinsteraeroclub.com/index.php

Unfortunately I don't have a website for Sky Trace in Weston but their phone number is 01-6280144 (00-353-1-6280144 if calling from uk)

As I said I wouldn't recommond NFC, but if you're on temporarly here, and want to rent a C150/172 then you may have little choice. Their phone number is 01 6282930.

Regards
dp

BRL- I've no connection with any of these (other than being a member of one of the Dublin Airport ones), and I've mentioned all the ones that I know of!

FireFoxDown
25th Nov 2003, 06:47
A very comrehensive post from DublinPilot - and of course we are all entitled to our opinion ...

I would only question the comment that his poor experiences are the norm rather than the exception ... perhaps this is well-founded and i by no means want to argue the point but just want to point out that ive been flying with them for over 4 years and have always found them good. This is especially so within the last 12-18months as they have significantly upgraded their services and facilities compared to what was available in the past ... perhaps it was that long ago when DublinPilot fly with them! Perhaps not ...

Just wanted to point that out ... :ok:

dc1
25th Nov 2003, 20:24
firefoxdown, perhaps they have upgraded their facilities but a recently extended runway etc is of no use to you if you cant get an aircraft in the first place.

Its happening all too often lately that eventhough you will have booked an aircraft 3-4 weeks in advance your slot will eventually be cancelled by weston because they will have booked too many people for the few aircraft available. Their solution to this is to whip out the tipex at the last minute, overwrite your name on the booking sheets and its just tough luck if youve made arrangrments you aint going to fly cause weston have messed up their bookings yet again.

So, if you dont mind reserving a plane to go flying weeks in advance, organising yourself so you'll be free on that day your booked i.e getting someone to mind your kids or cancell other arrangements only to have a good chance that weston have overbooked and so you are left in the lurch like a spare tit wondering jesus how do they keep getting it wrong well go ahead but thats the reality. If you can handle that then youve got the patience of a saint cause im tiring of it.

genius747
25th Nov 2003, 23:33
Have to agree with dp and the others that NFC are very lax-a-daxical about bookings and informing you when bookings are cancelled etc...

On the other hand their instructers, hand picked by Capt. KOC are the opposite to the admin part of the outfit.

They are experienced, safe and excellent mentors.

Actually getting into a plane and taking off for your lesson at your planned slot time is extremely rare. Logistical planning and time tableing is not NFC's strength by any means. But when you do actually take to the air, rest asured you are in safe hands and you will be thought to the higest standards from the instructers.

As for renting a plane yourself to bring up some friends or take a day trip somewhere........ try getting blood from a stone first.

G747

dublinpilot
26th Nov 2003, 01:19
I'm glad to see that at someone has had a better experience at NFC although sometimes I wonder if it's simply a case of starting your training there, and simply just not knowing that better places exist, or that there is anything wrong! But that's enough of that. I'm not going to turn this thread into a NFC bashing. That wasn't H from H's question.

Anyway I just wanted to make a second post to make sure the H from H realises the the reference to "Weston" in dc1's post were actually refering to National Flight Centre (NFC) located on Weston airfield. As I said in the first post, Sky Trace is also based at Weston, and I've heard nothing but good comments about them.

Regards,
dp

FireFoxDown
26th Nov 2003, 06:20
Hmmmm ... well im happy where i am at the moment(with NFC) but ill keep SkyTrace in the back of my mind for future reference ... you never know! ;)

dc1
26th Nov 2003, 18:07
I agree with G747 that the instructors are good (although some are a little too busy sometimes and you literally meet them after the walk around, fly, then a quick dash to reception desk to pay and not enough time for a de-brief) and would like to make the distinction between them and the pathetic booking system in operation.

FireFoxDown
27th Nov 2003, 00:51
Just thought of another thing that should be pointed out to our good ol' friend Mr H! :)

http://www.westonairport.com/ is the airport we've been discussing, and perhaps Mr H would be interested in some rotary time? Personally im not sure i trust anything where the wing moves faster that the cockpit but its some people's cup of tea! ;) There's not much i can tell you about the heli clubs at Weston but i know theres a few!

Let us know how he gets on whatever he decides to do ... :ok:

Mister Gash
27th Nov 2003, 20:38
Mrs H from H,

Lots of people here have mentioned the schools available in Dublin. The CLUBS around there are a different breed altogether.

Personally, I would no longer bother with any of the clubs that are still based at DUB itself, given the crazy hoops you must jump through to get a general aviation flight airborne there now (24 hours PNR, endless holding on the ground, security issues etc.).

A couple of the clubs formerly based there have moved to Weston and provide excellent value and great aircraft availability and top-class instructors for check-rides etc. Try the Leinster Aero Club (who run a C150) or the Dublin Flying Club (they run an Arrow and PA28140) http://www.geocities.com/dubflyer/ Though their website's a little out of date I'm afraid.

Weston is developing nicely at the moment and offers a good flying environment less than half an hour's drive from the city centre.

Gash