PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Barajas?

Lite
23rd Nov 2003, 23:54
Firstly, I do know this is the Spanish forum so I do apologise for the use of English however:

In a number of European capitals such as London, there are alternative airports for low-cost airlines instead of having to use the more expensive and slot congested LHR, low cost airlines can use LTN or STN.

Are there airports owned by Aena or other companies that offer an alternative airport to Barajas that are within a one hour drive of Madrid?

I know there are two airports, whose names escape me, that Aena own that are close to Madrid, but I think that they are only open for general and executive aviation?

Guatico
24th Nov 2003, 05:00
Hello Lite.

Yes, besides "Barajas" there are "Cuatro Vientos, LECU" and "Torrejon, LETO".
The two of them are military air bases also open to civilian aircraft, the former accepting VFR operations only (mainly used by general aviation) and the latter being used by executive aviation as you point out.

I have no clue as to why there are not commercial flights into LETO (if actually there aren't, not sure about that). Anyway I figure an airline with interest in this airport could come to an agreement with AENA in order to start commercial flight operations.

Finally, "Valladolid-Villanubla, LEVD" is another military air base also open to civil traffic and not very far from Madrid. RYR started operating at LEVD recently, for instance.

So long.

Lite
24th Nov 2003, 05:37
:) Guatico thank you so much for the pieces of information you could provide for me with regards to alternative airports in the Madrid area.

So if "Cuatro Vientos, LECU" and "Torrejon, LETO" both owned by AENA are open for commercial traffic, may I ask anyone in the know whether these airports have passenger terminal buildings and adequate other facilities that could support a brand new airline or easily grow to allow for a brand new airline?

:\ Thanks for all help!

richiya
24th Nov 2003, 19:36
Hi,
LECU has currently undergone great improvements in the airport and it's surroundings. They have built a new tower and the terminal building has increased capacity. I do warn you however that this is a vfr airport with little or now radioaids, it has a PAPI which is no working half the time, and a very short RWY, I don't remeber exact lenght. As guatico said it is half military, but mostly used by flight schools. I have only seen 1 jet land there, and this is a military citation that does ILS precisioning for barajas and torrejon.
I really don't think it could seriously have the capacity for any airline, unless you are thinking of using a small turbo prop, say a C-90 or similar.
Torrejon, takes on heavier jets, and has all the corporate aviation that doesn't go into Barajas. You can see anything from senecas to G-V. This airport is also close to madrid, maybe a 40 min. drive to Madrid centre.
I would look into Valladolid airport, with more facilities and infrastructure, onlt thing is that it is more or less and 1.15-1.30 drive from Madrid.

Hope I was able to help.

richiya

Lite
26th Nov 2003, 00:30
So with the longer runway and the better facilities would one consider Torrejon as an appropriate nearby alternative airport to Barajas?

Is there a terminal building or would AENA consider investing in one even if it was only a tin shed like at some airports Ryanair has served!

Gryphon
26th Nov 2003, 20:25
Madrid-Torrejón (LETO) is a Spanish Air Force Base, and grant very few slots with very restricted hours of civil operation for those GA traffics planing their arrives to Madrid-Barajas (LEMD) at these period of heavy traffic. It has a very small civil terminal for executive flights; and any change is almost imposible, having to fight with Spanish AF.
Madrid-Getafe (LEGT) is a SAF Base too, and Madrid-Cuatro Vientos (LECU), civil and military, is VFR with a very short RWY.