PDA

View Full Version : Visa cost and time

rich49
23rd Nov 2003, 20:51
Hi all,
I want to go to naples air center this summer to start training, but because of getting time off work, and I am not sure if I will have the money, I need to enrol on the course as late as possible so that I will be more aware as to if I will have the money or not!

Firstly, how much am I looking at paying out for a US visa? What are the costs involved?

Secondly, how long does the process take? I am aware that I have to arrive on the day of the visa, otherwise it is not valid, and I am not sure about when I can get time off work, so this is another reason why I need to get the visa as late as possible. How long does the process take?

Lastly, how booked up does the PPL course at NAC get in June? How long in advance should I book to get a place?

Cheers
Richard

chrisbl
23rd Nov 2003, 21:26
To get the Student (M1) visa you need to be enrolled on a course of study and have a form I-20 issued by Naples Air Center.

To enroll you will need to pay a deposit. This would be advised by NAC.

Once you have your I-20, you can make an appointment with the American Embassy for the visa.

They will send you all the forms you need. They are also available from the Embassy website. also with the forms is an official paying in slip for the £67 visa fee. If you dont pay the fee, you will be turned down when you turn up. You must pay in on the official paying in slip at a Bank.

Armed with the completed forms D156,157,158 the paying in receipt, the I-20 and the letter saying you will be flying small aircraft you can then attend the US Embassy. Normally you cannot get an appointment in less than 2 weeks of your call.

When you turn up at your appointed time, it takes about 1 hour of queueing just to hand over your papers and then you wait to see a consular official having being given a number.

When I arrived at 10.30, the number called was 35. I was given number 217. There seems little logic in how they call you up. I waited about 40 minutes then out of the blue up came number 217. Three minutes later I was done and on my way out of there.

I have heard stories of people waiting 4 hours. I suppose that it depends on your circumstances and the checks they need to do before they see you. I am male, grey, , 49 with a solid job here and I suppose at little risk of being a terrorist or illegal immigrant.

The Americans are thorough though and you must treat the process with respect. You are asking to be let into their country doing something which the 911 terrorists did, ie train at a south Florida flight school. So no jokes, just go through the process.

Assuming they decide to give you a visa, it takes 10 days for it to be posted on.

Do not try and leave everything to the last minute. If you are going to quibble about some of the incidental costs like visa fees etc, then you might struggle to cover all your training and living expenses.

If you plan to do casual work whilst out there to help out, dont even bother to think about it. Not only do you risk being thrown out of the US and being banned from going there again, you could put at risk the training organisation responsible for you. Being a professional pilot banned from entering the US is not a clever thing.

rich49
23rd Nov 2003, 21:38
Thanks for the reply.
No I am not quibbling about the visa expence, just wondered how much it costs as I am putting together a budget. I'm sensible enough not to try and do casual work out there and make jokes at the embassy, don't worry ;)
Thanks for your help.
Richard

chrisbl
23rd Nov 2003, 22:33
When you read some of the posts around the forum you have to wonder sometimes about people.

So what if the Americans want to improve their security. I dont blame them. In fact I wish that our own authorities were as dilligent about who they let in.

The indignation you read here is pathetic. Phrases like "if that what they think of us..... their greatest allies..... etc". It misses the point. We let anyone into this country and then those people we let in try and use it as a springboard to elsewhere. Dont blame the Americans at all.

Sure people can go elsewhere to do some training but you cannot beat the US.

South Africa is cheap but it is a scary place see http://www.bumblesfolly.com/ Having been mugged their myself at knife point in front of police who did nothing not even give chase, I would never go back there.

Charlie Zulu
23rd Nov 2003, 23:47
Hi chrisbl,
I have heard stories of people waiting 4 hours. I suppose that it depends on your circumstances and the checks they need to do before they see you. I am male, grey, , 49 with a solid job here and I suppose at little risk of being a terrorist or illegal immigrant.
Let see, last time I checked, I'm a white male born in Cardiff, blonde hair, blue eyed 26 year old. Having finished University a few years ago I've had steady employment ever since.

Been with BT for the last 5 1/2 years and have current government security clearance for my job in the Internet Data Centre...

... I was still held at the Embassy for 4 hours on BOTH occasions (then a minute interview with a congratulations we'll issue you an M-1 visa at the end)! ;-)

:O

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.