PDA

View Full Version : Never Pay Up Front Policy - Alternatives?

Shamrock 321
21st Nov 2003, 02:12
Hey all,

I have a question regarding the much mentioned "never pay up front" policy.

I am looking at attending one of the schools that is regularly discussed on this site. They have requested certain portions of the course fees at certain milestones during the course (including at the beginning!), however I don't feel these are proportionate to the costs experienced at each of the milestones. What other options are available that may be acceptable to the school and reduce my financial exposure?

Thanks for you help.

Tinstaafl
21st Nov 2003, 04:32
What about an escrow account or similar? If they're not willing to negotiate about such things go somewhere else. They need YOUR money more than you need their services.

Shamrock 321
21st Nov 2003, 05:50
Hey Tinstaafl, thanks for the reply. I have heard of these accounts before, any idea where I could find more information?

QNH 1013
21st Nov 2003, 16:34
I don't know the sums of money involved in your case, but if they are significant then you need a solicitor to check the escrow account, or to act as stakeholder. Be aware that if you are not financially experienced it is possible for accounts to be set up that look like they will protect the customer, but where the customer will not have first claim on the money if the company goes into liquidation.
Credit cards are a simpler safeguard (in the UK at least).