PDA

View Full Version : Greenhouse emissions

Young Paul
20th Nov 2003, 21:53
AMS airport have built a new runway, 36L/18R which is a five mile taxy from the central part of the airport.

I would just like to make it known that every unnecessary movement on this runway causes an additional half tonne of carbon dioxide to be emitted. I presume the Dutch are aware of this?

Nerik
22nd Nov 2003, 00:44
Overlong taxiing and other ATC procedures are the cause of far too much fuel wastage and emissions. It is calculated that 12-18% of fuel burn may be saved if better ATC procedures etc. are in place.

Over 90,000 tonnes of fuel are burnt on ground every year at LHR alone!

Intruder
24th Nov 2003, 05:11
Don't forget that a good portion of the excessive taxying and fuel burned in the climb is due to "noise abatement" regulations spawned by development near the airports AFTER the airports were built.

Modern "economics" dictate that we pander to development and growth, both of which are counter to "environmental friendliness"...

Young Paul
24th Nov 2003, 16:41
Well, to get to 36L from the central area, we taxi past 36C, 24 and 09. To get from 18R, we taxi past 18C, 06 and 27. At the moment, most days, AMS is far from running at capacity, so a no-delay departure or approach would have been available at one of those runways. Hence the unnecessary carbon-dioxide burn.

But what do I care? It's not my habitat! :rolleyes:

Incidentally, did the people living near 36L actually realise that they lived near an airport before they saw aircraft taxying past their windows?

jumpseater
24th Nov 2003, 17:46
YP et al, yup the cloggies are very much aware of the impact of the taxi emissions etc, but the major part of their equasion is the 'noise loading' for various communities. As part of their planning regs, the impact of the airport has maximum loadings over certain comunities, which is why you will sometimes find yourselves on a runway which is arguably not the optimum for either departure or arrival.
rgds
js

Nerik
26th Nov 2003, 01:24
I wonder whether communites are fully informed as to the effects of having such procedures. Do they know that by reducing the noise in their neighbourhood they are increasing the amount of fuel emissions with all the associated health risks?