PDA

View Full Version : What training to take?

Oneday78
20th Nov 2003, 21:19
Hi,

desperate to become a commercial pilot. Got through a couple of stages of the limited sponsorship programmes that are about but still no luck. Got to be honest, the chances of getting on one are small to say the least.

I know Oxford (OAT) have their APP scheme up and running for the cost of c£61K which is out of most people's reach (even with the promised bank loan). I have therefore begun to look at other options available.

For instance Stapleford Aviation (Essex/London) offer a full time CPL/IR course for about half of the OAT cost that I should be able to finance (by hook or by crook). It is also in my area, so I could live at home and save that way etc....

Therefore, I would like to know people's opinon on the following:

Is the OAT/Cabair training so much superior to other's (such as Stapleford), in that it will lead to an 'automatic' job as a First Officer that it is worth trying to raise the extra cash to finance.

Does anyone have opinons on Stapleford or the idea of going to a less well respected FTO to gain their license.........

For instance, Stapleford has inferior sims to the type at OAT, less time in air etc

Anyhow, enough of my rants, but any help would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks.

YYZ
20th Nov 2003, 23:46
No matter where you go there will be NO guarantee of a job at any stage of your training.

Try the search engine for all the info you will need on the different approaches to training.

Oneday78
21st Nov 2003, 00:08
Thanks for the reply YYZ, much appreciated.

However, you may have mistook me slightly. I was using the term 'automatic' in it's most loose meaning, as I believe that this is often the approach that the larger FTO's use in trying to entice candidates/students to their school. The belief that the use of their school will enhance your employment opportunities exponentially as oppossed to the smaller less well known schools, thereby justifying the huge mark up in their costs (as a main factor at least).

My main issue is as to whether or not this is the case??. Do the larger, more well established FTO's warrant their cost?.

I can assure you I will research (and have) any option that I consider to the full but would like to know any other peeps opinon on the subject.

Once again YYZ thanks for your reply and best wishes.