PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Multi-Time Building... The Right Way?

flyswede
19th Nov 2003, 16:20
So I'm out of a gig flying around in a Baron and decide that since I don't even have enough time to take my ATP, I'll buy an Apache and just build that way. Said and done and pretty much all my cash is now invested in a pretty little round bumblebee of an underpowered 50-year old aircraft. Lovely, friendly and toothless old sweetheart without a single bad bone in her body, though, so I'm not complaining. My question to the assorted wisdom of my fellow posters is this:
Even though the bird runs on autofuel, it's still kind of pricey to run, what with hangerage, etc...

How should I best try and make money off this thing, or at least cut my aviating expenses? It's been less than 100 hours since the annual, so I can use it for compensation for at least a couple dozen hours more.

I hold an MEI rating, but don't want to use the airplane for instruction because insurance is so expensive it becomes ridiculous.

I don't want to just put the plane on lease-back, because, A) She's old and I don't trust some young gun not to pound her into the pavement, breaking something expensive, and... B) The whole point of me buying this airplane was for ME to build time in her.

I'm thinking of advertising her out as a multi-time builder at $110 an hour, with the stipulation that I fly along in the right seat as safety pilot, but don't know where to advertise (Local aviation rag here in the Mid-West? Internet someplace? Little advertising flyers mailed to flying clubs?)

I guess I'm asking for feedback from anyone who's gone a similar route before, or who also needs to build time. What's the best way to do this if you're trying, like me, to get someone else to come along for the ride and pay for it, too? Any and all replies appreciated.

Cheers,
Lawrence