PDA

View Full Version : Any advice - Syke, Great Glen, Kirwall?

kean
18th Nov 2003, 20:32
Am planning a trip from Denham to Syke, Oban, up Great Glen, Kirkwall and back to Denham this Fri - Sun. Anybody done this trip before and have any advice? Particularly interested in hearing from anybody who has flown the Great Glen low level.

Dewdrop
18th Nov 2003, 20:54
Keep your eyes peeled if you are going low level, there are some fast jet training areas in the vicinity. Sounds like a nice trip though if the weather is half decent.

Circuit Basher
19th Nov 2003, 00:26
Might be easier to find if you look for 'SKYE' ;) :D

Take note of the danger areas around the Hebrides and between Raasay and the mainland - check for NOTAMS and don't assume that they won't be active at weekends (I know 'coz I've done trials work at some of them!). Never actually flown along Great Glen, but would suggest that you know the climb / turn performance of your aircraft intimately. Flying up a valley where the cloud suddenly descends is not the place to discover you've not got the necessary climb performance to get out at the end of the valley or that you've got insufficient space to turn and get out of the valley. Be aware of a lot of parachuting sites / gliding sites and give them necessary clearance.

Would suggest carriage of (readily accessible) warm / waterproof clothing, emergency rations, a handheld (or ELT) and a space blanket or two in case the worst happens and you're out on the hill for a night or two. Too many pilots just hope for the best and fly off in T shirts (I've done it myself in summer :\ )

Other than that, enjoy!

Fly Stimulator
19th Nov 2003, 00:44
It may be a good idea to read this booklet (http://www.caa.govt.nz/fulltext/Safety_booklets/Mountain%20Flying.pdf) on mountain flying. Quite a lot of useful tips in it.

And in case you get stuck and are still in Scotland on Monday, be aware that there are some GPS jamming trials coming up - see AIC 102/2003 (Pink 59). (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4P059.PDF)

PS - Welcome to PPRuNe!

HelenD
19th Nov 2003, 02:01
It is really nice up that way and the people at Oban are very helpful and will give you good advice about flying up the Great Glen including advice on where to put down in case of emergency. I think when I flew to Oban from Inverness I flew about 2000ft and I kept to the centre of the glen on scottish info making blind calls since the hills can loose radio signals.
I always take a jacket and a jumper for when I land but as I get hot while flying I dont wear them while airborne.
The other thing to bear in mind is that official night is arround 16:30 up there at the moment so make sure your night qualification is current.

QNH 1013
19th Nov 2003, 02:59
I recommend Oban too. Flying the length of the Great Glen is fantastic. Mrs QNH and I did it on our 30th wedding anniversary trip. Suggest you do it with the sun behind you. No problem turning round in the Glen in an average GA aircraft - its wide. Don't pick a day with high winds. Be aware that mountains in the area are HIGH. Often in cloud. Good advice in above posts re clothing etc.
Another thing to do (a bit further South) is to fly the length of Hadrian's Wall. Watch out for Spadeadam and other danger areas and Newcastle at East End, but well worth doing. For most of the length you see it best from the Northern side because it mostly runs along an ascarpment.
Great things aeroplanes. One moment you're flying on the East coast, then you fly down the Great Glen, turn left at Ben Nevis and you're flying on the West Coast, dropping in to Oban for a cup of tea.
Don't miss the castle as you fly down Loch Ness, and make sure you've got plenty of fuel.

Warped Factor
19th Nov 2003, 03:53
There are some very nice pics taken whilst flying around Scotland here (http://www.alanmoar.flyer.co.uk/). Might give you an idea of what a beautiful country it is to fly in and whet your appetite.

WF.

p.s. remember to fly over any bridges, not under them

:p

gasax
19th Nov 2003, 16:04
Nice trip if you get the weather - but perhaps a little tiring.

Watch the wind direction in any glen and stay on the leeward or downwind side (the downdrafts on the other side will either roll you over or splat you onto scenery otherwise).

Light yourself up like a Christmas tree to give the boys in the gray machines a chance of seeing you and either fly high down the centre or low tucked into the side of the glen (my preference is the latter).

Scottish works north and south of the glen but not in it unless you're high. Not that it makes much difference - they are not a radar service and so are really just a friendly voice handing a vast area.

As mentioned before take some warm clothes just in case.

Inverness can be a mixed blessing in terms of fuel etc. Try Andy Bruce at Wick, the same level of help and service as at Oban.

Make sure you spot Dunrobin and Shibo castles and the Duke of Sutherlands memorial heading north, ditto the number of stacked drilling rigs in the Cromarty Firth.

Kirkwall is also fairly notorious for fog.

Have fun and again as above remember the days ae gettign shorter.