PDA

View Full Version : Go around in poor conditions

Evening Star
18th Nov 2003, 16:36
Forgive a humble SLF wanting to learn a little on what is probably basic information.

SVO in low cloud conditions. We were taxying in after landing when I noticed the following aircraft (TU154 I think, but I am no spotter so do not hold me to that!) executing a go around. What caught my interest was that the apparent reason for the go around was because the approach seemed to take the aircraft too far along the runway. Now my understanding is that blind landing instruments will accurately guide a correct approach to the start of the runway. It seems strange that this did not happen and I was wondering if there are reasons why that should be.

Intruder
19th Nov 2003, 00:43
It is true that Autoland systems in modern airplanes will reliably guide the airplane to the proper touchdown point.

However, any mechanical or electrical device can fail. Given the airplane type, it is entirely possible that the ILS and/or autopilot system were inoperative or malfunctioning.

Another possibility is that the airplane was held at higher altitude by ATC until too close to the airport, and they could not get down in time. There are many other possible scenarios...