PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Aviation & Other Cranfield FTO's

tartan 42
17th Nov 2003, 16:07
I am considering Cranfield for my PPL, with Bonus Aviation as a possible school.

Thus, I would be interested to hear any feedback from pilots who have used Bonus Aviation - both for training and then for rental (standard of training & instructors, aircraft availability - that sort of thing).

Also, any feedback relating to the same for the other FTO's at Cranfield:
- Billins Air Service
- Flyteam Aviation ( appear to have very low rental rates)
- Cranfield Aero Club

Finally - is Cranfield a good base for training?

Feedback welcome via either posting or PM.

Thanks as always
T-42

G-KEST
27th Nov 2003, 01:07
It is many years since I last flew with Bonus and specifically with Peter Godwin their CFI. Nice aeroplanes, even nicer instructor/examiner - what more could one ask. Not cheap but you get what you pay for in this world.

AC-DC
30th Nov 2003, 22:17
It is many years since I have flown with Bonus so I can not say a thing about their instructors, I would assume that they are as good as they used to be and that the aircraft are just as good.

Flyteam has a great team of instructors, are honest people but their aircraft don't look as good as Bonus.

If you fly with Cranfield Aero Club then try to do it with David Coulson, . He might be grumpy and hard on you but he flys when the birds are grounded you can't have a better instructor then him!

Know nothing about Billings.

Check your PM's please, ta.............

Ray Ban
30th Nov 2003, 23:50
Could try MWG Aviation - am sure Martin and the boys will look after you!

Floppy Link
1st Dec 2003, 00:24
David Coulson

any relation / same person? as the David Coulson who did my IMC and twin at Skegness in ~1986. Great instructor.

Flying Tooth Driller
4th Dec 2003, 22:05
Bonus - nice people. Good instructors. Well maintained aeroplanes - they have their own facility!

Also, nice to know that Peter Godwin (look at the authors of the Trevor Thom books) is there.

Dave Coulson (Cranfield Aero Club) is a legend at Cranfield :-)

READY MESSAGE
5th Dec 2003, 06:47
Can whole heartedly recommend Cranfield Aero Club. Dave Coulson - what a chap - taught me more in my 30 hour instructor course than i had learnt in the previous several hundred hours. He is indeed a legend at Cranfield. And yes he would be the chap from Skegness. Forgive his scruffy exterior and seemingly endless moaning about your flying, money, banks, your flying again and back to money. He really is one of those people that I believe everyone should fly with at some point in their training/career.

If it's a PPL you're doing Dave won't do all of it as he does the commercial stuff. He will insist on flying with you a few times to check your progress. Just offer to make him a cup of tea and don't forget to take a headset to the aircraft for him and you'll get on famously!

All the best!

RM

Flying Tooth Driller
5th Dec 2003, 07:17
The few hours that I have flown with Dave Coulson remain in my memory because they were so instructive. A great teacher.
Love to hear his voice on the radio - inimitable style ;-)