PDA

View Full Version : New Headsets

jamierwilliams
15th Nov 2003, 22:57
I am about to commence my PPL course and was thinking about getting my pair of headsets now. I was wondering what people think of the David Clark 10-13.4 and where the best place to get the headset from? Or are there other headsets that you would recommend, I would love to have a Bose but they are too expensive to start off with.

J@mie

Deano777
15th Nov 2003, 23:19
you wont go wrong with a set of DC's, and if you buy new they are much the same price wherever you buy them, Transair offer a free headset bag as does AFE?

good luck

D.

Flyin'Dutch'
16th Nov 2003, 00:00
Hi JW,

You wont go far wrong with the DCs but they are not the cheapest on the block.

I swear by them as they are good and sturdy and come with a 5 year warranty.

If you can borrow some from your flying club see how you get on.

Alternatively go to a good pilot shop and they will let you have a play with them and walk around with them for as long as you can stand it.

Get flo-gel seals if you can as they give better noise attenuation and are more comfortable.

Have fun.

FD

PS: Sometimes a good offer comes up on E-bay but beware not to pay more than you would at one of the normal outlets

tomcs
16th Nov 2003, 00:09
I know this is an almost constant debate....but you cant go wrong with Peltor 8006s they are much cheaper, they're lighter and give much better noise attenuation.

You pay for the image with DCs!!

Just thought i'd add my twopence worth

Capt Homesick
17th Nov 2003, 00:12
I've used a pair of Telex ANRs for about 5 years now- they've stood up well to over 2000 hours of use, with no flights longer than about 2 and a half hous, and the average under an hour. They cope well with everything from single piston, to 4 engine jet- most of the time, even with the active noise reduction switched off, they are quite quiet, and when I switch it on, even a PA28 sounds like a Lexus!
Try a few pairs on- I find most DCs quite uncomfortable (big ears, I guess :D )- the Telex are, for me , the most comfortable pair I have ever worn.

Rod1
17th Nov 2003, 04:50
Capt Homesick makes the important point. DC is the name. I find them very hard on the ears. You can pick up a “similar” set for much less money, which would be fine for learning. You can then go for the Bose and keep the low cost set for a spare.

The best value is probably Harry M’s own at 85 ish. I have a set for aerobatics and they are very good for the money. Do not go for anything unless you have used them in anger first.

Rod1