PDA

View Full Version : Tas

aviatorpk
14th Nov 2003, 19:59
What is the use of TAS during flying ????

tom775257
14th Nov 2003, 22:04
Hmm….I guess if you want to go old fashioned you can use it on a whiz wheel wind side along with w/v to work out drift, hdg true, ground speed etc.??

Quick question from ATPL theory student type: Flying larger aircraft do you get a TAS reading (from the ADC?) as well as IAS, or do you just fly on IAS through the climb until you use Mach meter at a certain altitude/speed? What factors do you use to determine at which altitude/speed to switch from using airspeed in kts to mach.
Cheers..

Crossunder
14th Nov 2003, 22:07
Er, TAS is used for... everything in aviation?!

Crazycanuk
15th Nov 2003, 01:53
Yeah right, so when ATC tells you to slow to speed 210 they expect you to fly 210 tas...not.

crazy.

FJJP
16th Nov 2003, 23:01
Ho hum. An airline pilot has to ask THAT question? Not all aircraft are blessed with computers to give you an instant readout of everything. What are you going to do if you are flying something other than you shiney A310, where you have to work out groundspeed, ETAs, et al, with only a calculator to hand? Or worse still, the old fashioned Dalton computer?

As Crossunder says....

Crossunder
17th Nov 2003, 01:28
...and what do you put in the "Cruise speed" box in your ATC flight plan? It sure ain't IAS. What could it then be..?

Crazycanuk
17th Nov 2003, 02:56
I'm not saying that tas is not used but you must agree that it is not used for "everything".

Crossunder
17th Nov 2003, 05:46
OK, I know ;-) But aviatorpk made it sound like he/she suggested that TAS is of no use in flying, hence my answer, which btw lacked a smiley to make it seem more "friendly" (or something to that effect...).

fixa24
17th Nov 2003, 06:52
TAS is not given by the ADC, but from the IRS/INS or ADIRU on airbus a/c...