PDA

View Full Version : hour building with a difference, how can i make it work?

sgarvey
13th Nov 2003, 01:44
Hey guys,

I'm intending to do about 100hrs of hourbuilding in the states next summer. At that stage i will have my JAA PPL(A) and night rating.

What I want to do is rent out an aircraft but to be able to take the aircraft away with me for a while and do a bit of sight seeing across the country. Is this possible? If anyone knows where i can do this please let me know.

Second thing i would like to do is bring my girlfriend along with me. Will i need to get an FAA PPL for this? If so how much more expensive will this be or is there any way of converting my JAA PPL?

If anyone has done this before or can offer me any tips please let me know. I'm also looking for the cheapest option. Thank you.

Stephen.

mad_jock
13th Nov 2003, 02:18
Have a word with britannia they didn't seem to mind folk taking planes away and i think they will also give you a dry rate as well.

If you have a restricted FAA PPL linked to your JAR PPL then yes you can take your girlfriend.

If you are flying about most FBO's have discounted hotels near by for pilots 50% off etc and also some will let you have use of some clapped out old banger of a night as well. Best not ask about insurance though you might not like what you hear.

MJ

Flying surfer
13th Nov 2003, 02:38
Why not try air desert pacific in California.

sgarvey
13th Nov 2003, 02:42
Thanks a lot for that guys :) Ill check both them out now.

ILS30LGB
13th Nov 2003, 03:01
You may have heard this one b4 but I used to be a CFI in the LA area and Air Desert Pacific (ADP) used to be called Another Dead Pilot by the Instructor community. Dont mean to scare you, it was just an in-joke. We were all probably jealous of all the multi time the instructors got there. :p :p

dorosenco
13th Nov 2003, 03:16
I don't like repeating myself on that forum but for the sake of some innocent pilots I'll do it again : DO NOT GO TO A FLIGHT SCHOOL TO RENT AIRPLANES !!!

The best rates you can get are with flying clubs and not flight schools. These flying clubs are used to rent airplanes and all you need is an instructor check out. Also, their prices & insurances are designed for rentals and not flight training. Some of them even have on-line scheduling services.

Also, for hour building you don't need a VISA. Do not fall into some flight school traps which make you pay for a VISA just for hour building.

Try my website www.passion2fly.com. On the main page you have links to few flying clubs in Southern California with really good deals.

good luck my friend,
:ok:

sgarvey
13th Nov 2003, 03:49
Thanks a lot for that guys :) Ill check both them out now.

onehunga
14th Nov 2003, 00:19
Erm....Sorry but can't reconcile your statement about cheaper rates with my own experiences and when compared to the weblink you provided above. I was out at a certain LA flying school a few months ago. Paid the princely sum of $57/hr wet for an archer. Came with twin VOR's, ADF, DME, ILS, dual radios, no GPS but that would be cheating and defeat the purpose of me going there to hone my navigation skills. Came out at £37/hr when I checked my c/card statements. From the link above the rates all seemed higher....

In my experience the flight schools tend to do free pickups from the airports as well and can often get you discounted rates on nearby hotels with daily pickups to the school. Having never used a flying club overseas I am not sure what sort of "comfort blanket" there is. I quite enjoy quizzing instructors that are floating around and getting information off them about weather, places to fly etc. Not sure if there would be the same ability otherwise.

So the moral of the story is do your homework and find a place that suits you.

PM me if you want more information.