PDA

View Full Version : Starving pilots over London

BYOD
12th Nov 2003, 23:40
Imagine waking at dawn, face Mecca and start fast. Pilot the 747 with another hungry jock at noon for an 13 hour flight West to London. The Sun shines, no food, no water for already 20 hours, arriving into London's congested terminal area at evening peak. Blood sugar is low, body's dehydrated. Never mind the poor 400 paxs and blighters on the ground. At least we'll both go to haven!:O

Golf Charlie Charlie
13th Nov 2003, 00:02
I think the sharia legal code does offer dispensation to people in special need or who are sick, allowing them to take food and water during the daylight hours of Ramadan. Whether this applies to Saudia crews, I know not, but I would think so.

reverserunlocked
13th Nov 2003, 00:10
I was led to believe that there is dispensation for those travelling also, as long as they make up for it later on?

Stand to be corrected, my gulf experience was 4 years ago...

WideBodiedEng
13th Nov 2003, 00:10
A million years ago whilst on the Lightning contract, we had a pilot grounded because he wouldnt break the fast. The Flight Safety Officer (his buddy, incidentally) had him on Orderly Officer during the flying programme!
And yes, if travelling, fasting is excused.

soddim
13th Nov 2003, 00:12
The real problem, BYOD, is that instead of waking at dawn most Saudis I know are just putting their heads down after a night of feasting and partying - that is the normal Ramadan routine.

All Muslims who have duty in the daytime are free from the Ramadan eating and drinking ban but most ignore this fact and claim fasting as a reason for reduced working hours.

Sales of foodstuffs soar throughout Ramadan - hypocritical or what?

OK - so I know this will mark me as anti-muslim but I'm not. I simply believe a fast is not a feast.

Bubbette
13th Nov 2003, 00:40
There has been a thread on this from prior years. Re the sale of food soaring, the entire month is a celebratory period, marked by family meals and celebrations after sundown, as well as a light pre-dawn meal, so I don't see why this should be any surprise. Re fasting in general, and other religions have fast days, there should be no compromising pilot readiness and alertness because of religion--if a pilot is weak from whatever reason, and doesn't feel s/he is able to fly, s/he shouldn't be flying. .

DSR10
13th Nov 2003, 00:53
I was PAX on a Royal Air Moroc 737 flight to Marakech when the Captain collapsed during Ramadan somewhere over Spain. Fortunately there was a paramedic on board who diagnosed a large dose of sugar. P2 landed us in Casablanca.
Interesting the "travelling" moslim pax were offered milk and bread.

BaByJet
13th Nov 2003, 01:50
Muslims are allowed to break the fast when they travel.

The problem is the attitude of muslims pilots, because very few pilots are willing to break the fast when they work. Maybe the pressure from other fasting muslims is to big. This is a very poor judgement (one of the side effects of fasting, maybe).

Religion should not interfere with the duty as pilot and fasting pilots have clearly misunderstood what their job and duty is.

Fasting and flying airplanes do not belong together.

bbj

boeingbus2002
13th Nov 2003, 05:41
I know some Asian airines actually have a company rule saying fasting is not permitted while on duty.

BabyJet..maybe yr comment should read "some" muslim pilots, rather than encompassing all.

Sure, I agree it does put lives at risk and flight crew should be aware of this, (a respsonsibility similar to not drinking alcohol before flying!)

Crepello
13th Nov 2003, 06:13
So BYOD, London is the only place that matters? :rolleyes:

fasting pilots have clearly misunderstood what their job and duty is.

No, their understanding is different. A devout Muslim pilot will not fear the risks of fasting, because he believes Allah will protect him. If he goes down, this will be Allah's will; either way, he has nothing to worry about.

The safety vs. religion issue is very tough to manage, and not just in aviation.

I'll keep my secular opinions to myself, since neither side can be proven right!

southernmtn
13th Nov 2003, 11:55
I think this thread was started with mischief intended!

BYOD
13th Nov 2003, 18:24
The wordings, mischievious. The subject, Dead serious.

Basil
13th Nov 2003, 20:16
My understanding (and perhaps a Mullah would care to comment) is that, whilst a traveller is not required to fast, those days must be made up at another time. Clearly, this would require the observant to spend a couple of months or more fasting on days off which is particularly inconvenient outside Ramadan when others are not fasting.

Perhaps come and work for us and have iftar and sahur on the same flight ;)

RUDAS
15th Nov 2003, 19:46
As far as i understand it from muslim friends of mine,there is a special exception made for those who need to be at top physical levels over long periods such as pilots-so i think most muslim pilots flying during ramadan would at least eat something during the flight.

mutt
15th Nov 2003, 20:00
so i think most muslim pilots flying during ramadan would at least eat something during the flight.

Not around here!!! But at least it makes the cockpit a smoke free zone.

Mutt.

Loftie
20th Nov 2003, 17:11
You guys got me worried now cos I'm on a diet you see.