PDA

View Full Version : Training at a club or through an individual??

jamierwilliams
12th Nov 2003, 00:17
Dear PPruners,

I desperately need some advice regarding the PPL training that I am hoping to commence next year. I know of an airline pilot who is also an instructor who can conduct the PPL course himself. On the other hand I could learn to fly at a club. I am aware that any pilots schedule would be inconsistent. Also, I would be unable to have lessons during the week only the weekends, and this may be a problem for the instructor. Should I train with a club where the training will be consistent or with the individual pilot where the training would be more expensive and maybe inconsistent some times? Would it be a good idea to have my main training with a club and then occasionaly have lesson with the other pilot to 'brush-up' on skills I have been taught with the organisation??

J@MIE

Pete O'Tewbe
12th Nov 2003, 00:24
In order to train for the issue of a pilot's licence, one has to train at a CAA-registered Flying Training Organisation (FTO) or Registered Facility (RF). Unless your airline pilot instructor works for or through one of the above, the mere fact that he has an instructor rating does not mean that he can conduct PPL training.

A list of FTOs and RFs is available on the CAA website.

Say again s l o w l y
12th Nov 2003, 00:28
To be honest, it depends on the club and the individual.

Personally I would stick to the club, so that you can have continuity of training especially about times and dates. Airlines often will call people at the last minute and you may find yourself left in the lurch.

There are all the usual boring reasons as to why most instructors need to work through a club; insurance, CAA approval (has he registered himself as an RF?) A good full time instructor is usually better overall than a part timer, simply as they are more current, especially when it comes to rules and reg's specific to training.

Airline guy's are good in the respect that they know the standard and, most importantly, the mindset required for the commercial world.

Have the occasional sortie with this chap, but leave the bread and butter teaching to a good school.

jamierwilliams
12th Nov 2003, 00:30
sorry i forgot to mention.....he teaches at an aircraft hiring company who are a registered FTO but it is by no means their speciality! He only comes when he can...

Arclite01
12th Nov 2003, 04:22
Always at a club. Individuals are notoriously unreliable........

Use Cubair if you can - the ground instruction leaves a little to be desired but the air time is great fun. And Redhill has runways nearly always into wind - which helps a lot..........oh and the CFI is an airline pilot !!!

Can you tell I'm a Cubair fan ?

As per my previous posts - do your time in the Cub !!!!:D

cheers

Arc

jamierwilliams
12th Nov 2003, 04:51
Arclite01...you said Cubair was good...good, cause thats where i am thinking of learning to fly... i would do a lot of the theory through self study anyway...is the instruction at cubair good??....is there any1 there who you would recommend??

Arclite01
13th Nov 2003, 02:53
Jamie

check your PM's

Arc