PDA

View Full Version : Pre Flying Jobs

rich49
11th Nov 2003, 21:15
Hi all,
I am at Uni at the moment and should graduate in 2007.
What jobs did you guys have when you were learning to fly? Did you sit on a till? Work in an office? I am doing a degree in engineering and that seems to be a hard job to get into in itself, let alone have the time to go flying! Cheers.
Richard

YYZ
11th Nov 2003, 21:24
Im an electronics buyer, really boring and nothing at all to do with aviation... we have all got to fund training somehow:(

rich49
11th Nov 2003, 21:28
yeah. I work in a supermarket part time to pay for my PPL. Im just wondering what job to do to get the cash together for the rest of the training. I don't think that going for an engineering job is too smart unless I intend to go for a career in it.
Richard

CAT3C AUTOLAND
12th Nov 2003, 05:28
Hi Rich,

Like your self I did a degree in engineering, specifally Aero, and I filled shelves at Tesco for 7 years part time (in and around colllege) to pay for my PPL.

On graduation I was employed by an aerospace manufacturing company to work as an engineer. I spent nearly 4 years there working full time to save enough cash to fund the CPL/IR. I have just started the CPL, and the savings account does not look as healthy as it did 12 months ago :D. Once to IR is done I will be skint :D.

Charlie Zulu
12th Nov 2003, 06:53
Hi Rich,

After finishing university I started work with Hyder (Swalec), just general office duties, which paid just enough for PPL flying lessons (still living at home).

That lasted for around 8 months before started work with my present employer (BT) within the IT side of the telecoms company.

Although I quite like the IT industry, I'm not one for working in a office for the next four decades. Looking forward to the day that I can put the resignation letter onto my managers desk! ;-)

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

J-Heller
12th Nov 2003, 07:30
Taught music, worked for a private investigation company, cleaned, worked on farms, cooked and still cooking, and more music! bits and pieces from time to time for mates....

Let people know you are available to help them out - the call will come.

Most of my work has been for very 'ordinary' money. The music and PI stuff have been the most beneficial in terms of development. With the music I have travelled round the world (quite literally) without once paying for the ticket!

Consider some more unusual jobs, or create something yourself; its not that hard to register as a business (not as Ltd, just register for tax) - if you are good at something, chances are someone will want you to help them out.

I have a mate who is looking to go down for Terminal5 at Heathrow. Story is its £700 p/w labouring. Pity I am studying right now, because thats where I'd be right now.

Good luck to you on the degree. Pick unusual jobs which you find interesting would be my parting message!

JH :)

Charlie Zulu
12th Nov 2003, 07:37
I have a mate who is looking to go down for Terminal5 at Heathrow. Story is its £700 p/w labouring. Pity I am studying right now, because thats where I'd be right now.
Wow! Excellent money for labouring... I could do with a work out as well!

Lugging Sun and HP servers around an IDC now and again between sitting on my $&(% in front of a few computers, doesn't really do much for burning those cooked breakfasts off!

;)

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

onehunga
12th Nov 2003, 15:27
Become an accountant. When I used to work for one of the big firms we took on loads of engineers. They started with no knowledge of accounting, got full pay to effectively study for the majority of their first 3 years and had a world recognised qualification at the end of it. Pay rates went up each year and you could always jump ship to a corporate environment (or banking) once qualified and expect to land a job paying circa £40k. Not bad for a newly qualified with only 3 years of working behind them. Work conditions were generally flexi time and our firm allowed you to work from home once you had proved yourself(read that as study or stuff about).

Good luck.

p.savage
12th Nov 2003, 16:53
Let me see....

At the moment I'm doing, web design, managing a flooring business, working in a chinese, bits and bobs for familly, more bits and bobs for friends.

Cheers

P.Savage

rich49
12th Nov 2003, 17:37
Thanks for the responses. The accounting looks interesting. I think I would find that it wasn't for me though. Good luck all! :D

Number Cruncher
12th Nov 2003, 18:40
The accounting looks interesting

I'm one of those £40k plus accountants and let me tell you, the only thing interesting about my job is watching the Heathrow and City inbounds joining the ILS from outside my office window! Still, it is paying for my hours building I suppose....Only 7 months to go on my contract before I can join the glamorous life of being an ATPL studier - and I can't wait!

onehunga
12th Nov 2003, 20:19
Number Cruncher - couldn't agree more. Means to an end is all it is.

Rich49 - if you are discounting it due to the stigma attached to the term "accountant" then be careful as it has changed a lot over the past 10 years or so. I got out of the traditional "bean counting" as soon as I could and moved into the consultancy side of things with roles in corporate finance and suchlike. Much more interesting, pays better and you use your basic accounting nouse to advise people on a range of issues without having to get into too much detail (which I really hate). At the end of the day I have always viewed it as a means to an end! When the milk rounds come around your university have a chat with the big firms and you will see that there is a variety of roles on offer - funnily enough most will have nothing to do with bean counting.

rich49
12th Nov 2003, 22:43
Hi! I will really have to look into it.
it's not that I wouldn't do because of the stigma of the job, I would do anything to fly. I just feel a little guilty about 'using' a company. I guess I'm just old fassioned!
Were can I find out more? Is there a 'PPRUNE' of the accounting world out there? I just missed the milk round!
Cheers
Richard.

onehunga
12th Nov 2003, 23:02
Don't worry about using them they will certainly be using you and you will know it after some of the hours they will ask you to put in!!

If you are in the regions then I would say most of the offices would react quite well to receiving a letter enquiring about cadetships whilst studying or jobs at the end of your degree. The London offices tend to be a little harder to get into and follow the rule book (ie: apply iva website) mainly due to their size and volume of interest. Check out all the websites for the big firms and you should find out background information as well as contact details etc.

Number Cruncher
12th Nov 2003, 23:54
Hey Rich

I'm sure your feelings of guilt towards commercial organisations will change once you come to applying for those airline jobs, so snap out of it boyo! From what i've read here, they're a hostile bunch!

Epic_mg
13th Nov 2003, 01:06
Im currently working for an airline, it has great perks i.e. jump seat flights, simulator observation sessions and great career advice. Its one option to consider.

Good luck,

Epic_mg

Grange End Star
13th Nov 2003, 04:57
Left school at 18 worked for large insurance company for 12 years which paid for all the training , then two years as a flying instructor , now working for a regional airline.

:ok: