PDA

View Full Version : Icao

svenfly2
11th Nov 2003, 06:44
Does anyone know how to get an ICAO License? I have been looking all over the web and can't seem to find it.

Send Clowns
11th Nov 2003, 07:06
ICAO = International Civil Aviation Organisation

This is an umbrella organisation, that does not issue its own licences. If an "ICAO licence" is required what this means is a licence issued by a member state, whose standards reflect the Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) of ICAO. you would have to look somewhere pretty obscure to find a licence that is not ICAO - certainly the common ones such as JAA, FAA, Australian CASA, Canadian, NZ, South African etc. are fine.

You should talk to the FAA, though you should also read every time I write "licence" as "license", since you yanks spell this word as a noun incorrectly ;)

FlyingForFun
11th Nov 2003, 09:56
Send Clowns,You would have to look somewhere pretty obscure to find a licence that is not ICAOLike, erm, let's think about this. How about the UK? :D

In the UK, you can now get two different types of private license. The PPL is an ICAO license - it meets the standards set by ICAO, the same standards as licenses issued all over the world. The NPPL is not an ICAO license. There are some ICAO requirements which it does not meet, and as such it is not valid outside of the UK.

Send Clowns, of course, knew this, but had temporarilly forgotten it! ;)

FFF
--------------

Send Clowns
11th Nov 2003, 16:22
Yeah I'll give you that. The NPPL is a pretty obscure beast! I work for two flying clubs as an instructor and have not come across a student of one yet, although I know that both offer it and one of the clubs has been training at least one person.

Let me adjust my phrasing: you would have to go somewhere pretty obscure to find somewhere that the main licences did not comply!