PDA

View Full Version : The A380 MegaClass? or MegaCrap?

İhris
10th Nov 2003, 07:58
I read an article today in BusinessWeek magazine, about the A380. (Business Week European Edition/Nov. 10 2003)

People are suggesting that the A380 will have Disco's, luxury bars, plasma screens to make people feel better, gyms, and possibly even private suites!

Thinner seats will increase the space between rows to 34-36 inches compared to the current 30-33 inches. Give me a break....How long to you think it will take the airline to realize,'hey we can add another 15 rows instead of the extra space!'.

Is an airline really going to give up 200 revenue passengers, inexchage for installing a half-a-million dollars of gym equipment and plasma screens?

Wait till a Charter Airline deciedes to pick one up.....you ever gone through customs and baggage claim with 850 other people from the same flight?!!?

:rolleyes: Discos and lounges......:mad:

-Chris

Leviatan
10th Nov 2003, 08:23
That's just what the 747 was supposed to have when on paper, but what do 747s have today? Lots and lots of seats...

If an airline was crazy enough to buy an A380 with a gym or something inside it, I bet it wouldn't be long before they pulled it out and put more seats in.

Paracab
10th Nov 2003, 08:46
Even if having a disco on board was economically viable, would it it be wise to have a load of pax getting even more lashed than usual on a long haul flight ?

Surely the problems of alcohol on board are quite enough without this prospect... :bored: :yuk:

Taking Over, Nigel
10th Nov 2003, 09:09
The publicity gurus would have you believe all sorts of rubbish. The simple fact is that if it takes up space, is not absolutely essential (eg: toilets, galleys) and doesn't seat passengers then you won't see it on the A380.
It's that simple!!!
I'd bet my super on it.:mad:

Justforkix
10th Nov 2003, 16:24
you ever gone through customs and baggage claim with 850 other people from the same flight?!!?

Not from the same flight, but most 747's and other biggies land at pretty much the same time from overseas flights, so I've gone thru customs with a lot more than 850 other people!!

PAXboy
10th Nov 2003, 23:20
When Airbus were starting to sell the 340, they suggested different used for the cargo level crew ret area.

They said that they could fit it out as a temple/mosque for jewish/islamic folks complete with all relevant bits and bobs for whichever airline bought it! A compass repeater for Mecca would have been easy.

Did anyone buy something that very few pax would have used? Nope, I don't think so.

eal401
11th Nov 2003, 00:00
I think the only think we'll see with the A380 will be marginally more leg-room in economy. The airlines know that they can offer seats that have a couple of inches extra leg-room and width, and that will be the selling point.

Shops, gyms, cinemas and all the other ideas will not happen IMO.

747FOCAL
11th Nov 2003, 00:28
Where are you going to take the mitten you score at the bar? :E

The African Dude
11th Nov 2003, 02:36
There are many variants of the aircraft being proposed, the most capacious (extended capacity, single class) allowing for about 840 pax.

The A380 will probably be aimed at the busy inter-hub routes to allow for consolidation in market growth, however there's still, at the moment, a limit to the number of people that want tickets for a given flight.

"Is an airline really going to give up 200 revenue passengers, inexchage for installing a half-a-million dollars of gym equipment and plasma screens?"

Airbus currently meets with interested airlines once a month to discuss progress and future developments. Indeed, airline specification shaped the aircraft from the start. A project worth £6.7 billion .. It's in the manufacturer's best interest to think of these things :E

Economy class is being designed with improved space, that's correct, and in the same way business and first get their own enhancements, including partitions and other additions.

Areas underneath stairs where pax would be unhappy to sit are being considered for small bar areas.

The A380 has a range of about 14500km.. So anyway, without the "MegaCrap" features to which you refer, how much will you enjoy your 18 hour flight? (It's in the airline's best interest to think of these things too...:8)

Regards,

Andy

Jerricho
11th Nov 2003, 03:31
Is there not the issue of passenger using said gym, experiencing turbulence and dropping a weight on his head?