PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to Train

wbryce
9th Nov 2003, 22:53
Hi people,

If you had a financial package and wished for a JAA license, where would you do the training?

Im currently thinking alot of doing training at BAE Systems, whats peoples opinions on them?

(anyone goto the flyer exhibition on the 8th? I was recommended to this site by a fella, he gave me his username but i forgot, so if you read this drop us a line :) )

adam400
10th Nov 2003, 00:20
Wbryce, welcome to the site. This topic of where to train and how to go about your training is perhaps the most widely talked about in this forum. Use the search facility to look for the answer to your question. You will find great advice on the subject and loads of information and opinions. Type in the name of school you are interested in and/or the type of route you want to take to gain the licence (eg. Modular / Integrated)

Good luck with your search

:ok:

10th Nov 2003, 23:14
Incoming !

:ouch:

I do see your point tho, Space.....

Well said

Flypuppy
11th Nov 2003, 00:21
Put it this way, in the flying world you have a flying standard set by the CAA in which flight schools such as OATS manage to train people to just about attain this level. The next level is the Atlantic Standard in which only the elite of trained pilots ever reach this level !!

Uhhh right, whatever you say, Spacey.

The best place to train is the one that feels right for you. You are going to spend a considerable amount of money and time at the training organisation(s), so you had better be sure you like the place and people.

Some Do's and Don'ts

DO

Do make up your own mind.
Do talk to current and ex-pupils from the schools you are interested in. (Make sure the marketing people are not around).
Do consider Modular over Integrated.
Do a search on PPRuNe for the schools you are considering
Do build a 20% contingency into any financial plan you come up with.

DON'T

Don't base your choice solely on the glossy brochures and glib promises of marketing men/women.
Don't base your choice solely on the opinions of posters on PPRuNe.
Don't pay for anything up front. Ever.
Don't expect things to go exactly according to plan.
Don't go into this without a back up plan if it all goes wrong.
Don't expect a job straight after finishing training. Have that back up plan ready.
Don't expect to get through the training without at least one episode of major frustration and/or depression.

There a bucket load more things to consider but that will probably be enough for now.....

GuinnessQueen
11th Nov 2003, 00:45
Excellent list Flypuppy! (Especially the frustration / sanity issue)!

I would also suggest getting a copy of Clive Hughes' book 'Guide to getting a CPL', costs £20 and well worth it. It provides a balanced insight into the various routes to getting licences.

Cheers

GQ

:ok:

Flypuppy
11th Nov 2003, 01:04
2 more things that you must do before you even start considering flight schools:

Make sure you like flying. Take a 30/45/60 minute trial flying lesson. Explain to the instructor what you are planning.
Get a Class One Medical. It costs approx 400 quid, but you arent going to do any flying without it...

Good advice from GQ about Clive Hughes book :ok:

FougaMagister
13th Nov 2003, 05:41
Thanks Space_Odyssey -

I've just realised I'm part of the elite! Seriously though, I agree that Atlantic are an excellent bunch. Excellent common sense advice from Flypuppy!

Cheers

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th Nov 2003, 07:35
SO - If you want to be a professional I suggest going to one of the better flying training organisations such as Atlantic (They expect much higher flying standards).

Put it this way, in the flying world you have a flying standard set by the CAA in which flight schools such as OATS manage to train people to just about attain this level. The next level is the Atlantic Standard in which only the elite of trained pilots ever reach this level !!

Look. I explained to you before that Atlantic flight training are a small reputable well established training outfit who are nothing extraordinary.

Please tell me you continue to post tongue in cheek. Elsewise I fear your training masters may well grow uneasy at your ebullient comments here.

The next level is the Atlantic Standard in which only the elite of trained pilots ever reach this level !!

As ever the medium confounds. If you are being self deprecating then Bravo. If serious then - oh dear.

Cheers

ps In answer to your question - locally, with a reputable FTO staffed by career instructors, following the Modular route.

Tazzy
13th Nov 2003, 16:11
Oh dear oh dear...... Space-Odyssey!

So OATs, Cabair and BAe are flying clubs are they!

Im am sure that the majority of uk pilots who trained through these organisations will really appreciate your comment!

And for someone who on the 5th Nov posted that they had 'never heard of OATs until recently' and was 'not sure that airlines would have heard of OATs' you have now posted that ''flying standards set by the CAA in which flight schools such as OATs manage to train people to just about attain this level' looks like you have become an expert overnight!

Once again, i am sure all those airline pilots will be 'over the moon' that you think their training was so good!

If you dont know the facts.. dont give advice!

expat100
13th Nov 2003, 16:59
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, and I am looking for some info.

I have heard that a new ground school is about to open in the Bristol area and they will guarantee a pass on theroy or your money back.

Does anyone have any info on them or contact details.

Sleeve Wing
13th Nov 2003, 17:24
Expat 100.
Welcome to the world of Aviation.
I think you'll find that Bristol already has one of the best Ground Schools in Europe already at the Bristol Flight Centre, Bristol Int.Airport.
I don't think they'll be able to guarantee a pass though, especially until you can spell "theroy" !!

Good Luck in anticipation of a most rewarding career.
Sleeve. :ok:

Dick Whittingham
14th Nov 2003, 01:51
Steady on! Bristol Flight Centre is a flying school. Bristol Groundschool, an entirely separate organization, does the groundschool for JAA APL.

Dick W

MorningGlory
15th Nov 2003, 22:39
ha ha hmm.... That was the best laugh I've had in ages, thank you space_odyssey, as I haven't heard such tripe for a long time....!!!

:D