PDA

View Full Version : Night Flights

pilot_will
6th Nov 2003, 18:13
Hi, I hope to become a airline pilot soon :) and I was just wondering about night flights...

If you are due to takeoff late evening, and return back home about 6 the next morning, I assume the pilots sleep before they go to work? I find that I cannot usually sleep just when I want to, I usually have to wait until im really tired and then go to sleep.

Just wondering if there are any handy ways that can be used? I suppose sleeping tablets won't be allowed? As you won't want to sleep in the flight deck :ok:

5milesbaby
6th Nov 2003, 18:24
Im not a pilot but being ATC have qualified to answer.
Sleeping tablets certainly aren't permitted as the drowsy effects are obviously hazardous. The best way is just to plan ahead and work out when you MUST be awake, and best time to sleep beforehand. Then that morning get up early and make yourself tired during the day by keeping active. I also find by keeping the house temperature a few degree's lower then its not too warm when you try and sleep. Obviously avoid anything with caffine, and I also find smaller snack meals are better than trying to sleep on a heavy dinner. Finally if all else fails get some earplugs and one of those blindfoldy things to black out the outside world.
I normally find even if I don't properly sleep, a four hour rest in bed normally gets me through - as long as I know its back to bed as soon as I return next day, no alarms set :ok:

GlueBall
8th Nov 2003, 01:50
Set the alarm clock to wake at 3 AM. Get up, drink no caffeine mixed drinks. Stay up and awake until 10 AM. Then go to bed, disconnect the phone, insert earplugs, wear blinders and set the alarm for 6 o'clock PM and you'll be ready to fly all night.

pilot_will
10th Nov 2003, 21:28
Thanks alot for the replys :)

Tinstaafl
11th Nov 2003, 03:17
I've never had much of a problem staying up for night duty. I feel far, far worse for the whole day if I have to get up for an early start (anything before 8am. Preferably 10 or 11am.)

scanscanscan
11th Nov 2003, 03:45
After a few years of long night duties followed by min day rest you will be able to sleep in the crew transport to and from the airport.
You get really good at it after several more years of night flights and min rest operations and can sleep on the crew transport to and from customs.
If too tired to sleep with the adrenalin high a couple of beers and a good shag should see you asleep.
If that does not work show the Doctor your log book and get 4 days off to sleep and rewind your sleep data base.