PDA

View Full Version : M1 visa/ Naples air center

BENPA28
5th Nov 2003, 03:03
Hi all,

new to site, going to naples air center next april to finish me ppl, (2nd venture for the ppl, but this time going to a reputable school!)

Ive done the M1 route when I went to california last year, and now understand you have to visit the embassy now for an interview. Do they see you on time, anyone had any bother etc with missed or delayed appts? Or was it a smooth operation?!

Cheers

Ben

Thunor
5th Nov 2003, 03:31
Hi Ben,

SORRY i cannot answer your question(s) - sadly I am so out of touch these days - but seeing your post took me back ten or more years when I used to do a LOT of flying out of Florida! Some of the very best times of my life! So ENJOY!, the very best of luck to you and if you get the chance after you qualify then make sure you do some flights to and around the Bahamas!

Good Luck! I hope someone will answer your question soon.

mattd2k
5th Nov 2003, 04:30
Hi Ben,

I got my M1 visa through today :D from the embassy so can give you quite an up to date account.

First of all you are not given an appointment time, but an ETA at the embassy, but don't bother trying to arrive more than half an hour before the time given as they won't let you in.

My ETA was for 11.30, We got there at 11.10 and were shocked to see a queue of around 50 others! :oh: We finally got into the embassy at 12.15.

Once inside you then join another line to see a clerk who checks your apointment and all your necessary paperwork. I think this line took about 45 mins. :hmm: VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you have everything completed before hand. The forms I needed were an I20 from the Flight school I'm attending, plus and D156/157/158. These need to be accessed from the US embassy website and typed printed, not hand written.

All the information you need can be found at:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/visaindex.htm

After you have seen the clerk you are then given a number and have to wait to see the consulate. :uhoh: More waiting! This is a bit like queuing at the Deli counter in Sainsburys ie. watching the little screen until your number comes up. :hmm: :zzz: The annoying point here though is that the numbers do not go up in order but appear to be totally at random. At 15.05 I finally got to see one of the consulate officers and 15.15 my visa was finally issued. A mere 4 hours after arriving at the embassy!:bored: It then takes 7-10 working days for you to receive your Passport and visa back unless it happens to be posted the day before the Royal Mail decide to go on strike.:p

So, a few suggestions you might want to take on board:
Take a book or something else to read while you wait.
Take something to eat and drink.
There are some vending machines available but it's not much of a selection plus it didn't look great either!
Be prepared to wait.

Well, I hope this doesn't put you off. Now I have my visa back it's only 7 days to go and I'm off to sunny Florida and my first flying lesson. Can't wait!

Good Luck,
MD2K.

Ninety-Nines
5th Nov 2003, 06:38
Hi Ben

We look forward to seeing you next year......

Food for thought.......if it was within the last 12 calender months that you were issued an M1 visa, you are not required to attend an interview:D If this is the case, you are only required to forward the paperwork to the US Embassy, and about 14 days later you should have your passport with Visa pop through the door. (I would recommend completing the process asap though to allow for any postal problems!)

I actually have a student that is going through this right now....defintely be better to avoid a trip to Grosvenor Sq.! I will tell you the true date of return when they receive it!

Any questions please feel free to email

Nikki

Charlie Zulu
5th Nov 2003, 15:17
Hi Nikki,

Wish I knew that earlier this year!

Had an M-1 visa issued for your place in January then had to reapply for the M-1 visa. I was told on the telephone (the £1.30 a minute line to the US Embassy) that I had to go for another interview (even though the application was for the same school).

Oh well, I'll know for the next visa which will be March... (coming over to see you guys for a Multi Add-On for the FAA CPL/IR passed at NAC in July, a couple of friends are travelling with me to complete their JAA PPLs).

-----

I'll re-iterate exactly what MD2K says... having been to the Embassy twice within the last year, the first visit for about 4 hours and the second just as long. By the way the interview only lasts for a minute or so then they'll tell you if you have your M-1 visa or not!

Best wishes,

Richard.

BENPA28
5th Nov 2003, 20:17
Many thanks for the fast replies..!

And note to Nikki, I have just emailed you through your admissions email address, but my M1 visa expired a year ago last month.....d'oh..so will have to take a trip to the embassy....

Kind Regards

Ninety-Nines
6th Nov 2003, 01:26
We have only just found this loop hole:O ; with all the changes that have come about with the immigration system in the last year, I am sure that there is still a great deal for us to learn apart from the normal day ot day visa issuance!

The first student to get a second visa in this manner applied only last week....we'll see what transpires!

We will defintely try this route for you next time:D

Look forward to seeing you then.

Nikki

My names Turkish
6th Nov 2003, 20:48
Just to re-enforce what mattd2k said. Make sure, check it ten times over and then check it again that you have all paper work, Bank statements(To Prove you can support yourself) All the Forms, The correct fee(NO cash, Bank draft only). If there is anyhting missing they will be totally heartless and tell you to come back a few days later. It can be a blood boiling experience so make sure it doesnt happen to you.

Also I would add that if you are thinking of coming over here that it is best to sort the Visa out way in advance. Dont give yourself the Heartache, allow plenty of time. I made the mistake of getting Visa last and had to change travel plans. The Embassy will give you now sympathy unless someone is dying. HAving said all that, if you do give yourself plenty of time and arent a disorganized disaster like me you should have no problems:O

BENPA28
9th Nov 2003, 01:57
Hi

I learnt my lessons from last year, I missed out some info on one of the forms (im normally maticulous) so it was sent back, I paniced as you do, refilled everything out, made a complete c**k up of the special delivery envelope, I was due to fly out sept 14th 2002, on the friday before....no visa.....so i thought s0d it...i wont bother, drove down to the local sorting office at 0630 sat morning, begged and proved who I said i was, and there it was! and 4 hours later I was on a plane to california....!

Just studying for the last ppl exam, navigation and then i'll make arrangements, but giving myself months now.

Youve been already?