PDA

View Full Version : FTC Grand Central Airport South Africa

groundfine
4th Nov 2003, 23:20
Hi.
I'm thinking of doing a JARPPL there (initially), with the view to possible JAR ATPL at some later stage.
Does anyone have experience of FTC or information on gaining UK/JAR licences through the South African system?
Thanks.

silverknapper
5th Nov 2003, 00:59
Do a serach on the subject, a few people here, including myself have been there.

Cheers

SK

George Tower
5th Nov 2003, 01:03
Hi there

I can speak with some authority on flying in SA as that's what I have been doing the last few years.

Firstly SA is a great country for flying. It is a cliché but SA is as the tourist marketing people like to say "A world in one country". In flying terms this is also true as when you build your hours you can visit the mediterranean climate of the Cape and Garden route, the dry arid vastness of the Karoo, the temperate high-veld or the tropical Natal coast. Not only is there so much to see but from an aviation point of view there are many different circumstances you will encounter that will affect the performance of your aeroplane. The weather is also generally fine most of the year but it is still a very significant factor - depending on where you are there's lots of wind and storms that dwarf what we get in the UK.

Most of the procedures in SA are based on ICAO which is again a good thing. With particular regard to FTC is Jo'burg there is a lot written on the African forum and quite a bit of it negative, however they are now under new ownership and are approved to carry out most of the JAR modular course. The exemptions are the IR which needs to be done in a JAA state and the MCC course which they don't appear to offer.

The main advice which is often repeated is DONT PAY ALL THE MONEY UP FRONT. For the simple reason is if the school goes tits-up then you probably won't see your cash again. I personally don't know any one who has had that problem but if you read some of the posts on here a few people have.

I note that you are thinking of doing a JAR PPL - if you are intending to fly in the UK either to build hours or just for fun you can quite legally fly on a valid SA PPL. So you don't need the JAR PPL for that - this might save you a few quid as I know FTC quote for the PPL in sterling. If money is a factor you might want to consider doing your PPL with another school there's good flying schools in Cape Town and Port Elizabeth and you'd probably get your PPL for less as you have no need to learn in a C172 or equivalent due to the performance issues you'd face in Jo'burg.

Whatever you decide good luck

GT

groundfine
5th Nov 2003, 01:45
Thanks SK and GT.
Do you have any suggestions for the CapeTown based schools?

Glynis
5th Nov 2003, 01:55
Please check your PM

George Tower
5th Nov 2003, 02:58
At Cape Town International there is:

Good Hope Flying Club: www.ghfc.org.za tel +27 21 934 0257

Cape Aero Club: www.capeaeroclub.co.za

Delta 200 Flying Scgool: www.delta200.co.za (when I tried the link it didn't work for me)

There is also Stellenbosch flying club which is just outside Cape Town (30mins drive from the centre) and very beautiful scenary.

www.stelfly.co.za

Regards

GT

FlyingForFun
5th Nov 2003, 16:30
It was mentioned on another thread, just a couple of weeks ago, that new owners are taking over, or have taken over, or are soon to take over at FTC (sorry, I don't know the details myself!) Do a search and read all of the old opinions on the school, but bear in mind that they may be out of date, and it will be a while before much information on the new management hits these forums.

FFF
-------------

silverknapper
5th Nov 2003, 17:21
I know someone there at the moment who went back to finish his PPL which he hadn't had time for before. The day before his test it was cancelled, no reason given other then the examiner who works for the school was busy that day. He was leaving the next day. This was last week.
They may get their act together but I wouldn't go for a while. The CFI is one of the old owners, I doubt much will change overnight.
Geprge makes some excellent points and, given my time again I would have got an SA PPL. It is a beautiful place, especially on the coast. I know that Algoa flying club are excellent. I would rather have gone to these places than to Mid rand which is a dump anyway.

SK