PDA

View Full Version : USA Visas for family of flight students

mattd2k
4th Nov 2003, 19:13
Hi All,

Can anybody offer some advice or share their experiences on this situation.

I am intending to go to the US to get my JAA ATPL. Having sold my house to fund this I need to take my wife and 3 year old daughter with me, however at present we are having some problems with their visas.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and did you manage get all the visas approved. If so how?

Thanks,
MD2K

Charlie Zulu
4th Nov 2003, 20:05
Hi Matt,

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/student.htm

The above url contains the following paragraph:

Spouses, Children & Partners: Spouses and/or children under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join the principal visa holder in the United States for the duration of his/her stay require derivative F-2 or M-2 visas. The application procedure is the same; separate forms I-20A-B or M-N will be required for each applicant if the I-20A-B or M-N was issued on or after February 15, 2003. If applying at a later date, a copy of the principal's visa must also be furnished with the application.

Spouses and/or children who do not intend to reside in the United States with the principal visa holder, but visit for vacations only, may be eligible to apply for visitor (B-2) visas, or if qualified, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

Partners and common-law spouses should follow this link for further information.

So it looks as if they'll need F-2 or M-2 visas.

Non Immigrant Visa Services site for the US Embassy in London is located at:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/niv/nivindex.htm

Hope this helps and all the best for the course.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Ninety-Nines
4th Nov 2003, 23:57
Add to Charlie Zulu.....the school you attend can complete the process for the dependent at the same time as the paperwork for the student-

By adding dependent information to the student’s SEVIS record, SEVIS will create a separate dependent Form I-20 (F-2 or M-2), and will assign a unique SEVIS ID to each of these dependent records. This Form will serve as the dependent’s eligibility documentation for visa issuance purposes and for entering the U.S. as a dependent of a student.

Very easy to complete.....let me know if you have any questions as I personally complete the visa paperwork for students at a school in the US.

Nikki

jockeymon
5th Nov 2003, 00:34
Just be careful to check if the school is charging for sorting out your visa (some do some don`t I`m lead to believe)