PDA

View Full Version : Top Tips

strafer
31st Oct 2003, 21:35
...you've probably all got one in you.

Although most things known to man can be found somewhere in the bowels of pprune, I often come across a good tip buried in the most unlikely of threads. So why not have a thread specifically for private flying related tips & suggestions?

So to start, if you're going to an unfamiliar airfield/farmstrip and want to see a better image than Pooley's line drawings, try www.getmapping.co.uk - they're basically trying to sell you an aerial photo of your house, but if you type in the postcode of the airfield, you'll get a nice colour picture of it taken from 5,000ft. Another good free site for those who like pictures rather than words is www.xcweather.co.uk

The tips don't have to be specifically about web-sites, but ones along the lines of 'use elevator for pitch control' are probably not required.

Get tip tapping!

DubTrub
31st Oct 2003, 21:48
I use Mulimap - www.multimap.co.uk Type in postcode or place, get the map, then click on the "aerial photo" link. The photo is usually good enough to get a good idea what the area is like.

ToryBoy
31st Oct 2003, 22:30
Seeing as Multi-map has had two good plugs (!) I would like to suggest some more top tips.......

1. When approaching an unfamiliar airfield I always listen out a good 5 minutes before calling them on the radio. By positioning your Pooleys on your lap with North facing where north is, you can get a great visual idea of where the runway in use is and plan your circuit. Also it make sit easier to make your first call something like.............................

XXX radio, this is G-ABCD inbound from XXXX, 5 miles N/S/E/W of you at 2500 on 1014, I understand it is runway 25 left hand, QFE 1002 and will call downwind/deadside etc.

2. When turning crosswind on departure with a 10 kt headwind if you only turn 80 degrees you will find that the wind will make you drift nicely at right angles to the runway. Similarly, for 15 kts, 15 degrees less etc. (Not applicable for 60 kts!)

3. If your a/c has rubber fuel bladders as tanks give the wings a gentle wiggle before taking a fuel sample during the pre-flight. Any water stuck on a wrinkle in the bladder will go to the drain hole and not catch you out on departure.

4. If you say "please" at the end of a request for a zone transit etc. there is a much higher chance of being granted one! I've trialed this and it waorks!!

5. If you have asked your non-flying passenger to keep an eye out for traffic tell them to use the clock method followed by the words "high, low or same level". There is nothing worse than a passenger saying "THERES ANOTHER PLANE" when you just can't see it and don't know whether it is dangerous or not.

6. After each flight, if you wipe over the leading edges with a damp cloth before putting the plane away you will save many hours cleaning and many years on your paintwork (applies to prop also).

7. When taxying, if you see some loose gravel ahead, accelerate briefly to give yourself some momentum and then idle the engine over the loose bits. Potential cost saving is about £2500!!

8. If you get the chance, watch the windsock for at least 5 minutes before take off. It is only when you have done this that you realise how the wind can massively vary in certain weather conditions.

9. If the headsets have been left in a plane overnight and it is a really cold morning, "wear them" on your thigh for 5 minutes whilst doing the internal pre-start checks so they don't freeze your head when you put them on!

10. If you have nobody sitting behind you and you use a large flight case, store it on the floor between the back of your seat and the back seat. IF (god forbid) the seat rail pin does give way on departure you will slide back a few inches and not 24 inches enabling you to maintain control of the a/c.

That's all for now! Hope at least one may have been useful:ok:

FlyingForFun
31st Oct 2003, 22:37
Following on from ToryBoy's item number 10:

Make sure you flight case is somewhere you (or at least your passenger) can reach it in flight. There is nothing worse than, for example, having the flight case in the baggage compartment, with an empty rear seat between you and it - then having to divert and not being able to get to your copy of Pooleys.

FFF
------------

DubTrub
31st Oct 2003, 22:57
...assuming of course, it's not jammed after the seat rails failed...

dublinpilot
31st Oct 2003, 23:20
When trying to find those (invisible!) grass fields, look out for the orange windsock. It's often the most visiable thing there!

dp

Penguinetta
1st Nov 2003, 00:17
Penguina has been playing with her lovely new GPS that she got bought for her birthday and has started programming in waypoints with the level that the Class A starts as their 'elevation (AMSL)' - she hasn't tried it out yet, but suspects that if she's bang on or above the 'right' elevation it will be time for her to turn off the Penguina Mode C and push the Penguin beak downwards.

I'll ask her to report if it works when she's actually flown with this wonderful gadget.

mark147
1st Nov 2003, 01:36
Penguina has been playing with her lovely new GPS that she got bought for her birthday and has started programming in waypoints with the level that the Class A starts as their 'elevation (AMSL)Careful! Airspace altitude limits are based on what alitmeters show. Temperature changes mean that the GPS altitude will be different and you could be in the Class A before your GPS thinks you are. The effect is only about 10ft per degree at 2,500 ft but proportionately more the higher you go.

My top tip: print the first page of the AIP entry for new aerodromes you visit (or the chart page if it's separate). Then buldog clip it to the back of your folded chart. When you've found the airfield, you just turn the chart over and you've got a map to plan your circuit. You'll also know where to go when told 'vacate at Charlie then taxi via Delta to park on row Whiskey' or whatever.

Mark

Saab Dastard
1st Nov 2003, 01:53
Always carry some sick bags when carrying PAX.

Always travel with mobile phone (switched off, of course) and credit card(s)

sd

Chilli Monster
1st Nov 2003, 02:50
If you're flying without using a 'PLOG' carry a pack of 'post-its' for scribbling down airborne/landing times plus clearances etc. (One 'post-it normally does each flight I find). Then tear 'em off at the end of each sector (very handy for multi sector trips) and stick them on the inside cover of your Pooleys (or whatever else you use) until you do your logbbok.

grow45
1st Nov 2003, 06:08
If you are flying with young children (or indeed the very elderly) make sure everybody has been to the toilet before getting in the aircraft.

My first post ppl flight with Mrs g45 and g45 Major (aged 8) and g45 (aged 6) . ATC at EGPH doing their usual fine job of slotting us in between an arrival and a departure I was lined up and waiting for the arriving aircraft on 24 to vacate with an easyjet 737 on a four mile final. Arriving aircraft vacates. ATC says "g45. With a left hand turn out cleared take off 24" immediately followed by grow 45 minor saying " Daddy. I need a wee"

Also make sure sick bags recomended by Saab Dastard are handy and not tucked into the bottom of your flight bag - but thats another story although it involved g45 minor again.

g45

LowNSlow
1st Nov 2003, 14:05
Penguinetta please advise Penguina that buying ProPlan flight planning software will be the best 45 (or so) squids she's spent. Do flight plan and plog on the PC and download to your trusty GPS. No more flying to Helsinki cos there was finger trouble entering the lat and long :ok: :ok:

Following on from ToryBoy's advice:

1. Check the oil level after the flight. Its the only way to find out what the oil consumption REALLY was

2. Ditto 1. above for the fuel tanks

3. Clean the windscreen post flight using Sparkle. Great off the shelf cleaner and virtually smear free.

4. Wipe out the engine cowlings post flight. It'll give you a clue where the oil in 1. above went.

5. During the pre-flight checks try holding the right hand elevator and moving the left hand one. If there's any differential movement retire to the pub and call the engineer :uhoh:

6. As part of your pre-flight check, hold a wing tip and give it a good waggling whilst feeling for looseness and listening for clunking sounds. Remedy as per 5. above. I personally know of a Cessna which after flying 2 morning lessons went in for it's Annual after lunch and the tailplane tips could be moved through a six inch (150mm) arc............

IO540
1st Nov 2003, 16:05
During the pre-flight checks try holding the right hand elevator and moving the left hand one. If there's any differential movement retire to the pub and call the engineer

Presumably you mean ailerons :O But don't you need very long arms to do this??

Airbedane
1st Nov 2003, 16:16
When aproaching an airfield to join the visual circuit, if the circuit is left hand, put the airield on the left of the nose, if the circuit is right hand, put the airfield to the right - it'll help you orientate your position relative to the intended circuit, and, hopefully, you'll never join in the wrong direction.

A

bar shaker
1st Nov 2003, 17:16
Instead of just putting the aircraft to bed, do a pre flight check after each flight.

If something is wrong, it can be fixed before your next flight.

LowNSlow
1st Nov 2003, 22:01
IO540 , nope I meant elevators. The Auster ones are joined by a flange on the end of a circular shaft. Trying to move the elevators against each other highlights if the bolts holding the flanges together have any slack in them. Same principle applies to Cessnas as well.

bookworm
2nd Nov 2003, 00:49
Make sure you flight case is somewhere you (or at least your passenger) can reach it in flight.

But, in a four-seat aircraft with folding front seat backs, don't leave it unsecured on the seat behind the front passenger seat with the latter unoccupied. With the tiniest of bumps, it falls forward and jams the seat back forward, interfering with the controls. Obvious? Yes, but it happens...

Penguina
3rd Nov 2003, 01:00
Hmmm - need to clarify what Penguinetta (bless her) told you; I would only use such methods as the above as yet another reminder of potential scrapes, in case I'm having a particularly blonde day... maybe, just maybe, I might fail to pay attention to chart and altimeter if I were very distracted but would glance at the GPS for a second and know I was close to trouble.

However, LowNSlow, I have seen the results of the software you mention and believe you completely about its wonders. :) Maybe for Christmas, eh?

bcfc
3rd Nov 2003, 20:10
Tie your pen to your kneeboard with a piece of string.

Took me a year and countless biros to figure this one out. :rolleyes:

Circuit Basher
3rd Nov 2003, 20:44
My tips:

Don't put the aircraft keys in your jeans pocket as you walk to the aircraft to fly it. ;)
Don't plan to fly the day after a PPRuNe bash!!
Know the length of the tip of your thumb in nm on a half mill chart for easier in-flight distance estimates
A B737 is faster than a PA28 / C150 / C172 - if one is up your chuff, then go around!

PS bcfc - please let me know the registrations of all the aircraft you've lost Biros in, as I do not wish to fly them until a comprehensive loose articles check has been done by an LAE. They should all currently be grounded.

bcfc
3rd Nov 2003, 22:00
The string isn't even CAA approved! :ooh:

Kingy
4th Nov 2003, 02:21
If you have to make a forced landing don't move the wreckage until the AAIB have told you it's ok to do so (£3000 fine aparently!) :O :O

Enough of this already - Im off to jet blast to start a Top T*ts thread - much more fun!

Kingy

Cutoff
4th Nov 2003, 15:00
Gents if you are unsure then a seated Pee is much better that a standing sh*te!!

Mark 1
4th Nov 2003, 16:58
Kingy - Forced landings have nothing to do with the AAIB and don't involve wreckage.

I think what you are referring to comes under the category of "attempted forced landing"

IO540
4th Nov 2003, 17:13
How does one distinguish between the two? Is it according to whether the aircraft can fly away from there?

Mark 1
4th Nov 2003, 19:37
AAIB are generally only involved in reportable occurances as defined in the ANO:

17 (1) For the purposes of article 94(1), the following reportable occurrences are hereby
prescribed, that is to say those –
(a) involving damage to an aircraft;
(b) involving injury to a person;
(c) involving the impairment during a flight of the capacity of a member of the flight
crew of an aircraft to undertake the functions to which his licence relates;
(d) involving the use in flight of any procedures taken for the purpose of overcoming
an emergency;
(e) involving the failure of an aircraft system or of any equipment of an aircraft;
(f) arising from the control of an aircraft in flight by its flight crew;
(g) arising from failure or inadequacy of facilities or services on the ground used or
intended to be used for the purposes of or in connection with the operation of
aircraft;
(h) arising from the loading or the carriage of passengers, cargo (including mail) or
fuel;.

Kingy
4th Nov 2003, 20:29
M1,

You must admit that's quite a comprehensive list!

Even the most perfectly executed forced landing often results in damage to the aircraft - after-all it's a forced landing which may well be in an unsuitable location to alight.

Just because an 'occurrence' is not reported - it doesn't mean it shouldn’t have been. Once reported you can't move the aircraft (wreckage or not) until the AAIB tell you to do so - period...

Cordially

King

(Yes I speak from experience :E )

FlyingForFun
4th Nov 2003, 20:41
Once reported you can't move the aircraft (wreckage or not) until the AAIB tell you to do so But you can move it before you report it? ;)

Hadn't heard that before. They didn't seem to mind me moving my aircraft before reporting an incident, or even after it was reported. Although I can see that what you're saying makes sense - if they decide to do a detailed investigation then they'd want things left as they are. For a very minor incident they're unlikely to care, but I guess only they know exactly where the line is. Do you have any references to this rule?

FFF
--------------

dublinpilot
4th Nov 2003, 21:17
Geez...some of the items on that list look a bit strange...

17 (1) For the purposes of article 94(1), the following reportable occurrences are hereby prescribed, that is to say those –

(f) arising from the control of an aircraft in flight by its flight crew

Now I've controlled an aircraft in flight....never thought of reporting it though ;)

or this?

(g) arising from failure or inadequacy of facilities or services on the ground used or intended to be used for the purposes of or in connection with the operation of aircraft;

sounds like the notam issue eh?

dp

DFC
4th Nov 2003, 22:11
The relevant legislation in the UK is SI 2798 of 1996.

Definitions:

"accident" means an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight until such time as all such persons have disembarked, in which—
"(a) a person suffers a fatal or serious injury as a result of—
— being in or upon the aircraft,

— direct contact with any part of the aircraft, including parts which have become detached from the aircraft, or

— direct exposure to jet blast,

except when the injuries are from natural causes, self-inflicted or inflicted by other persons, or when the injuries are to stowaways hiding outside the areas normally available to the passengers and crew, or
(b) the aircraft sustains damage or structural failure which—
— adversely affects the structural strength, performance or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and

— would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component,

except for engine failure or damage, when the damage is limited to the engine, its cowlings or accessories; or for damage limited to propellers, wing tips, antennas, tyres, brakes, fairings, small dents or puncture holes in the aircraft skin; or
(c) the aircraft is missing or is completely inaccessible;"

"incident" means an occurrence, other than an accident, associated with the operation of an aircraft which affects or would affect the safety of operation;

"serious incident" means an incident involving circumstances indicating that an accident nearly occurred;

Removal of damaged aircraft
7.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2) and regulation 9 below, where an accident, or a serious incident which results in the withdrawal from service of an aircraft, occurs in or over the United Kingdom no person other than an authorised person shall have access to the aircraft involved and neither the aircraft nor its contents shall, except under the authority of the Secretary of State, be removed or otherwise interfered with.

So basically, if it is an Accident or Serious incident, the aircraft can not be moved until the AAIB say so. For a simple incident, the guidance vailable from the AAIB should be followed with respect to reporting.

Regards,

DFC

RodgerF
4th Nov 2003, 22:18
Just to add a point to DFCs excellent post.

You are allowed to move wreckage, cut into the aircraft etc, for the purpose of releasing persons from the aircraft. I think the legal statement is within the sections referred to in paragraph 7.

MasterCaution
4th Nov 2003, 23:12
bcfc: Tie your pen to your kneeboard with a piece of string.

Took me a year and countless biros to figure this one out

CB: PS bcfc - please let me know the registrations of all the aircraft you've lost Biros in, as I do not wish to fly them until a comprehensive loose articles check has been done by an LAE. They should all currently be grounded.

See GASIL 2 of 2003, page 15.

MC

bar shaker
4th Nov 2003, 23:30
Edited as DFC was posting at the same time and answered definitively :ok:

bcfc
4th Nov 2003, 23:49
CB - fret not. All biros accounted for and currently sitting in a flight bag belonging to the thieving scroat that passes for my fellow syndicate member…allegedly

Circuit Basher
5th Nov 2003, 00:31
bcfc - glad to hear it!! Only a semi-serious comment, as I've been surprised to hear a lot of PPLs (members of my group included) who are very casual about missing articles. I've had 31 years of being flown in various kinds of military aviating machine, together with 7 years of helping to design / build them.

If I ever lose anything in a cockpit (or even suspect that I have), the plane and hangar are pretty well stripped bare until I've accounted for it. There was one time after I'd flown and I was around 30 miles away from the airfield, driving home, when I couldn't find my cigarette lighter. I turned round, went back to the airfield and scrutinised the aircraft cockpit....... only to find that it had slipped down the back of the car seat!!

I would like to think that all student PPLs are made aware of the importance of loose articles at an early stage in their training, but I have my concerns that they are not.

Master Caution - also see Page 6 of GASIL 4 of 2002 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_gad_gasil2002_04.pdf) and this AAIB Report (http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_avsafety/documents/page/dft_avsafety_024587.hcsp). :\ :sad:

[Edited to correct links]

sunday driver
5th Nov 2003, 17:29
Pre-Flight Tip

Just because you fly club aircraft that get a daily inspection by Superman Flying Instructors (sometimes including ex-forces Deities) and then pre-flighted 6 times a day . . . don't imagine they're free of mundane defects.

viz. On pre-flighting my favourite PA28 which I hadn't flown since its re-spray, imagine my surprise on finding both fuel vents blocked by paint. Just waiting for the seals on the filler caps to be renewed at the next annual. (The re-spray was nine months old.)

Also, don't assume that the defect you've just spotted has been seen, logged and accepted as OK to fly. Get someone with real experience to come and look at it. Because EITHER you will save yourself from an unsafe aeroplane OR you will learn a little bit more about that fine line between normal and abnormal.

SD

big.al
5th Nov 2003, 21:20
Sunday Driver -

Couldn't agree more. We had an incident a while ago where a member of our group spotted what seemed to be a hairline crack in the prop. of our 172. It was about 8 inches in from the tip.

If it had been a crack and the prop. had separated in flight, the chances are that the massive out-of-balance forces created by the engine would have shaken the airframe to bits before the engine could be shut down... nasty thought.

We had the prop. taken off and sonically checked with some clever machine that proved, thankfully, that it was no more than a scratch in the metal surface. We think a small stone must have hit the leading edge and split in two, scratching both sides of the prop. and making it look like a crack. It was very hard to see unless you looked very closely, so full marks to the guy who did a thorough pre-flight instead of giving the prop. a cursory glance.

In this case it may have been a false alarm but far better to be safe than sorry....

ToryBoy
7th Nov 2003, 15:53
Another ToryBoy top tip...............

I find that when trying to transmit over the radio to a busy place like Farnborough or Brize, I often find I am stepped on or step on someone when there is a rush to speak with the geezer on the other end.

I have found a way to ensure this doesn't happen and will probably get shot down in flames for it but hey, it works for me.

If the banter is particularly rapid and you can't find a split second to get your message in, wait until the end of some communication between controller and a/c. Then, just press your PTT switch for a split second which will give a tiny carrier wave and put anyone else off trying to transmit. Then, if nobody else is transmitting when you release the PTT button, the airwaves are all yours!

Also, something happened to me recently that made me think. It had rained overnight and then frozen. I was off flying from a farm strip quite early and the wind was calm with the windsock pointing straight down. I opted for the downhill bias on the strip and was surprised on the take off run that I wasn't airborne by half way. I became airborne a lot later than I had anticipated and was wracking my brains for things such as "did I forget to apply flaps", or "have I left the carb heat on" etc. What had actually happened was that the wet windsock had frozen and wasn't showing the 5 knot wind on the runway that I had opted to take off with behind me.

Another one.........why fly everywhere at 2500 feet? Everybody does and if you stick to 2300 or 2700 you will find that you will have a lot less contacts coming at you.

Or...........with winter on the way watch out with those spats. They might look good but a light smattering of snow on the ground will soon fill them up on the take off run. Then, even after a few minutes flying around that snow will freeze solid and on landing you will be stopping rather quicker than you thought.

And...........similarly, if you decide to wash your plane one afternoon in the winter and then put it away until your morning flight, make sure the undrained water hasn't frozen overnight. A plane with lots of little ice lumps inside the airframe where the water didn't drain handles like a pissed giraffe calf. Having the smallest amount of water trapped inside the spinner can make the plane feel like an out of balance washing machine when you fire it up.

Having seen someone once start up their a/c with the towbar still attached I made a mental note from that day onwards to not let go of the towbar when it is attached to the nosewheel.

When landing at an unfamiliar airfield and on finals you have a far better view for where you might be taxying to for parking than once you are on the ground. I always have a brief scan of where I will be most likely asked to head for and on which taxiways when on a half mile final.

With the sun being so glaring just before it sets during the winter (and right in line with most "27" runways) I find it much easier to aim to touchdown just after sunset than with a bright fireball burning through the windscreen at me making me tempted to look sideways during the flare. Sometimes it's only a matter of minutes between a near on impossible landing and one with a perfectly clear view.

I think i'll shut up now

FlyingForFun
7th Nov 2003, 16:20
Why fly everywhere at 2500 feet? Everybody does and if you stick to 2300 or 2700 you will find that you will have a lot less contacts coming at you.I am partly convinced that so many people know this "top tip" and follow it that, actually, everyone is at 2300' or 2700', and you're far safer at 2500'!!!

FFF
---------------

ToryBoy
7th Nov 2003, 20:51
FlyingForFun

Yep, point taken. I have just flown back from White Waltham and there were more people saying they were at 2700 feet on the QNH than anything so I must retract that.

On the subject of White Waltham..........................

Top Tip........................

When taxying at White Waltham it is advisable to take a cushion to sit on and make sure any loose items are stowed away!! Why can't they roll the bloody grass! I watched someone in an immaculate Vans taxy in front of me and his wing nearly hit the ground twice !

strafer
10th Nov 2003, 20:30
Haven't been able to respond since Friday - too busy taxying at White Waltham. Thanks to everyone who's given good stuff so far - keep 'em coming!

PS On the subject of WW taxying - don't assume the hares will get out of the way when they hear you coming. They're :mad: ing stupid.