PDA

View Full Version : Admission

Vtech
30th Oct 2003, 04:24
Hi Guys,
I am a new member and would like to say this is a fantastic site.

My question is:-
I am currently at University, but unfortunately failed my first year, I am now repeating my first year again. If I were to fail a second time round, and applied to CTC Mcalpine, would I be rejected or looked down upon in any way?
Or would I have to ask CTC myself on this issue?

I have 9 GCSE'S grades A-C
3 A-levels also, including grades they require.
Do you think this is sufficient enough even if I were to mess up University?

Thanks.

FlyingForFun
30th Oct 2003, 16:24
No idea about CTC - or even aviation employers in general. But, aviation aside, failing a year at university won't be looked upon unfavourably by anyone, so long as there is a good reason for it.

Example: a very good friend of mine studied pharmacy at university. He failed his first year because he did could not get to grips with the dispensing side of the course (i.e. actually working in a high-street chemist). What he really wanted to do was pharmacology - the actual manufacturing of drugs. He started a more suitable course the next year, and no one viewed this negatively, because there was a good reason for it. (What they did view negatively was that he subsequently only just scraped through his new course, because he spent too much time drinking and sleeping!)

From reading your post, the only problem that I see is the line where you say: "If I were to fail a second time round". This is the wrong way to look at it. Your GCSE and A-Level results show that you are academically capable, so as long as you get yourself on the right course, there's no reason you should fail. Unless, of course, you go in with the attitude that you are going to fail, in which case you probably will.

FFF
--------------

Pilot Pete
30th Oct 2003, 17:47
It's all about risk assessment. The airlines are concerned about cost and risk when it comes to handing out expensive training. The obvious interview question that would arise should you have failed/ given up on something major (like a degree course) is how do you demonstrate your ability under pressure/ stress etc. They may well ask you directly about the course.

The main thing to remember is to allay their fears of you failing their training or perhaps giving up. As long as you can demonstrate this and hopefully turn the negative into a positive I don't see it as a problem. I think the biggest problem would be giving up as that will take a bit more explaining. Best to check with CTC first though.

Best of luck

PP