PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt TWA Flight 800 wreckage to be used for training

RatherBeFlying
28th Oct 2003, 01:58
CNN Report (http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/10/27/twa.800.ap/index.html)

More than seven years after TWA Flight 800 exploded over the Atlantic Ocean off Long Island, the reconstructed jumbo jet has been packed up and is being sent to a college in Virginia, where it will be used to train air safety investigators.

zalt
28th Oct 2003, 02:03
Its all part of a new NTSB training effort after the Rand 'Safer Skies' report:
http://www.gwvirginia.gwu.edu/news/00NTSB.html

I wonder if the Lockerbie aircraft could go to Cranfield for the same purpose?

DamienB
28th Oct 2003, 02:24
As far as I'm aware most of the wreckage of the Lockerbie aircraft was scrapped - some of it was still extant in a Lincolnshire scrap yard a few years ago though.

747FOCAL
28th Oct 2003, 02:47
Wonder how they are gonna hide the big hole from the missle? :\

The Nr Fairy
28th Oct 2003, 03:16
Damien:

I think that a large chunk of the Lockerbie wreckage is still at the AAIB in Farnborough, reconstructed on a scaffolding jig. It was a few years ago when I saw it, and it may be there when I next have the chance to visit on the 18th - I'll let you know.

zalt
28th Oct 2003, 03:33
DamienB - As evidence, I believe the front fuselage has to remain intact until the last appeal case is over.

av8boy
28th Oct 2003, 04:54
Wonder how they are gonna hide the big hole from the missle? Concise sarcasm needs to be acknowledged. I hereby acknowledge it.
Dave :p

HZ123
29th Oct 2003, 02:08
PA103 wreckage is in Lincolnshire sadly and is retained as evidence costs the tax payer about £500 a month storage.

DamienB
29th Oct 2003, 04:38
Ah... I thought it was scrapped when the Libyans were convicted. Is there an appeal on the go? If not, why keep it?

zalt
29th Oct 2003, 05:35
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3133276.stm

BBC 23 September, 2003: "The Lockerbie bomber has lodged a fresh appeal against his conviction for the murder of 270 people in the 1988 atrocity. The Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission has been asked to investigate the case of Abdelbaset Al Megrahi, who was jailed for the bombing in 2001."

Apparently Dumfries and Galloway Police are paying for the storage of the key part of the fuselage (around the site of the explosion) at AAIB and the unreconstructed wreckage at a "secure scrapyard in Lincolnshire" (wot - 'beware of the dog").

I'm told the reconstructed part was still in-situ at AAIB this summer.

DamienB
29th Oct 2003, 06:35
Thanks zalt. Having followed the case in Private Eye more than any other media it shall be interesting to see how the appeal goes!

BUMPFF
29th Oct 2003, 22:05
Those remains of PA103 which are housed at AAIB FBO have to remain there indefinitely. Apparently (as explained to me by one of the investigators when I last visited the facility) this is because of on-going government/litigation/insurance interest.

lomapaseo
30th Oct 2003, 00:01
(as explained to me by one of the investigators when I last visited the facility) this is because of on-going government/litigation/insurance interest.

Presumably he has no idea what is going to happen to PA103 but gave you any answer that might suffice for the moment.

wsherif1
15th Nov 2003, 05:15
747Focal,

Your comment,

"Wonder how they are gonna hide the big hole from the missle?"

There never was a missile!

The two forward bulkheads of the center wing fuel tank fell out of the aircraft eight seconds prior to the explosion, along with two air conditioning machines, a 13.5 foot section of the keel beam and passenger bodies still in their seats. There was no evidence of smoke, soot or explosive damage to any of the items that fell in the initial debris area! The nose gear doors were the first items to leave the aircraft and they showed IMPLOSIVE damage!

TWA 800 was struck Broadside by aircraft wake turbulence. The FDR Chart shows radical transitions in all parameters from 2031.12 to 2031.20. The NTSB claims the "END of DATA" was at 2031.12! The NTSB removed all data after 2031.12!

The cockpit clocks and the FDR stopped at 2031.20, the actual explosion time!

Fly safe

ferrydude
18th Nov 2003, 19:03
FAA Wants Carriers To Prevent Explosions Of Airbus Fuel Tanks
Aviation Daily11/18/2003

Investigations by Airbus revealing potential risks for explosions in center and wing fuel tanks on certain A319s and A320s have led FAA to propose a rulemaking requiring carriers flying those planes to modify wiring and replace high-level sensors in fuel tanks on certain A319 models.

Airbus found that fuel probes could overheat from a short circuit in wiring that indicates fuel quantity (FQI). Tests by the airframer also revealed that certain A319-115 and -133 planes couldn't meet Joint Aviation Authorities (JAA) regulations requiring a 2% expansion of the center fuel tank to prevent fuel leakage due to its "sagging of the bladder." Airbus said a new, longer sensor was developed that senses fuel at a lower level, reduces fuel volume and meets the 2% expansion rule.

A service bulletin outlining procedures to configure wiring of FQI probes was issued by Airbus in June. The airframer released a separate bulletin for replacement of high-level sensors on the A319s in October 2002. Airworthiness authorities in France made those bulletins mandatory in October 2003.

FAA said U.S. operators must complete steps in the Airbus service bulletins to comply with the proposed rule. The agency estimates costs for modifying the wires ranges from $1,320-$7,180 per aircraft, with total costs for U.S. carriers ranging from about $617,260 to three million. Parts to replace sensors in affected A319s would be free but would still cost operators about $5,200 per plane in labor expenses.

U.S. carriers, including America West, Frontier, JetBlue, Northwest, United and US Airways, fly about 465 A319s/320s that would require some modification under the proposed rule. -LR

DOK001
20th Nov 2003, 06:25
Interesting article Ferrydude.

Almost a new thread methinks!

With regards to the original thread, I think it's fantastic that the TWA wreckage is being used for training. When are we going to start seeing hulks from 'solved' accidents used for tertiary education as well?

Also wsherif1, I think you missed the concise sarcasm about the missile hole..... but your comments on the FDR recorder are v. interesting. 8 seconds is a lot of data to loose!