PDA

View Full Version : Atpl/cpl

Dewdrop
27th Oct 2003, 20:52
Sorry for the lame question but what's the difference between an ATPL and a CPL ?

FlyingForFun
27th Oct 2003, 20:57
A CPL lets you earn money from flying. If the aircraft you're flying is a multi-pilot aircraft, you are not allowed to be captain. Minimum requirement for getting the license is 18 years of age and 250 hours.

An ATPL adds the privilege of flying as captain of a multi-pilot aircraft for renumeration. Minimum age is 21, and minimum hours is 1500, of which at least 500 must be on a multi-pilot aircraft.

(Those are very simplified JAR requirements - the actual requirements are slightly more detailed, and will vary from country to country.)

No such thing as a lame question - it took me months to figure this out (but that was before I found PPRuNe!)

FFF
--------------

strafer
27th Oct 2003, 23:00
A typo from FFF there in that it's 150 hours req'd for issue of a JAA CPL (at least 70 hours PIC).

All the nit-picky detail is in LASORS. (Section C or D?).

GonvilleBromhead
28th Oct 2003, 00:00
Just to be picky 'cos I'm extremely bored here in work watching the clock go backwards, is it not 200 hours for CPL issue but you need 150 to start the CPL training ?

Could be wrong. Right, that's killed a minute, back to the clock; I swear it's still going backwards though.......

FlyingForFun
28th Oct 2003, 00:03
Strafer - I will put my hands up and admit that this was a genuine mistake, not just a typo - the number I was looking for was 200, as Gonville says, but I just had a brain-fart.

However, I think that strafer is correct in that 150 is the minimum for an integrated course, although I have to admit to knowing very little about integrated courses so I may well be wrong. But I think that's probably far more detail than Dewdrop wanted to know.

REvans
28th Oct 2003, 00:46
An ATPL adds the privilege of flying as captain of a multi-pilot aircraft for renumeration. Minimum age is 21, and minimum hours is 1500, of which at least 500 must be on a multi-pilot aircraft.

I take it thats the minimum requirements for an un-frozen ATPL?

Thanks

strafer
28th Oct 2003, 01:09
Right all the info is here

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_d.pdf

and as with most CAA stuff is easily misinterpreted (by me at least).

CPL -
150 needed to 'graduate' if approved integrated course
200 hours if modular (subject to provisions in blah, blah, blah).

Gonville & FFF, collect a gold star. Strafer, go and see the headmaster.

Greystoke999
28th Oct 2003, 14:36
So how do you know what is a 'Multi-pilot aircraft'?

FlyingForFun
28th Oct 2003, 16:13
REvans - yes, it's an "unfrozen" ATPL. There's no such thing as a "frozen" ATPL as far as the CAA are concerned.

Greystoke - it's any aircraft which requires more than one person to be able to fly it, according to its POH ;)

FFF
---------------