PDA

View Full Version : Distance learning

adam400
27th Oct 2003, 01:35
First of all I will apologise for asking such a basic question.....

Having always considered integrated training as the best option, after reading this forum i am swinging to thinking of studying modular and going about getting a fATPL via distance learning. I was wondering if anyone could just give me the basics of undertaking distance learning. eg. is a PPL a requirement to start?

Also having completed an economics degree, i am now a full-time professional athlete and i was wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether i could pursue my swimming career while undertaking the distance learning? (I have all day free from 9ish till 4ish) Am i being realistic?

Any advice and a general pointer in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Adam

Send Clowns
27th Oct 2003, 06:50
You do need a PPL before the official start of your course. Of course no-one can stop you brushing up on the books before that, and it will help your PPL exams - in fact if you work really hard at these, and take the broadest interpretation of the requirements it will be a help towards your ATPLs.

You can certainly carry on swimming. The CAA recommendation is 15 hours study per week, though more than this is perfectly acceptable. You are supposed to do 650 hours of study - 65 must be in the classroom, but most courses give around 120 hours of classroom study.

Most schools split the course into two modules, each allowing you to sit 7 exams of the 14. Different schools split the subjects differently, but that is not to important as they are carefully thought out to complement each other.

You will be expected to work at home for a few months, testing yourself with worksheets, occasionally an assessed paper to send back to the school so they can monitor your progress. Then you choose a date for a set of exams (first full week of any month) and book a two-week brush up course. Here your instructors will run through the syllabus as they see fit and put more tests in front of you. This bit is hard work (as if it isn't all!). Sit the exams, pass with flying colours and repeat for the second half, or pass some and decide whether to resit before starting the second half.

Any more detailed questions feel free to contact me by private message (I work for a school).

Best of luck. Don't bump into the end of a swimming pool (my mother had a stroke that way, would not be good for a flying career!)

FlyingForFun
27th Oct 2003, 17:11
Agree with everything Send Clowns says.

I'm curious, though - why the switch from integrated to distance learning? They are totally oposite extremes!

If you're looking for something slightly less structured than integrated studying, but where you're not just left alone to get on with it, you can do a modular course, but attend full-time groundschool to study for the exams. If you're the kind of person for whom integrated courses broadly appeal, then this might suit you better?

(Not that there's anything wrong with distance learning, of course - I did distance learning myself, as have many others. But it's certainly not for everyone.)

Good luck!

FFF
---------------

adam400
28th Oct 2003, 03:41
FFF - The reason for the consideration of distance learning would enable me to carry on training where i am now whilst studying for what i want to do. It seems to give me the best of both worlds, and as im paid to swim that will help pay for the course!!

Also the PPL can be gained first at East Midlands Flying School if that is what i choose to do. Leaving options open for the moment though regarding everything.

Thank you both very much for the above advice - its much appreciated.