PDA

View Full Version : In sections, or all at once?

GOH
26th Oct 2003, 17:07
Hi

I am just looking for advice. One day I would like to be a commercial pilot but I am not really shore which way to go. I have narrowed it down though. I dont want to go to the air force! I want to get a degree in maybe architecture first and then maybe go on and try to get a cadetship in Aus or EU (born in Ireland) (I know I know there arnt many around and may not be for quite some time but things may change in 5 years?) OR I could gradually learn to fly while I am in my last year of school OR could I do it all at once and get my ATP when I have finished my degree? Sorry I don't mean to bother anyone but I don't know a lot about courses! :O

Thanks for your help!

GOH

redsnail
26th Oct 2003, 23:46
Cadetships are different in Oz versus the UK. Oz you pay big bucks for them while in the UK they pay either for half or all of your training. As you may have noted, there aren't many cadetships on offer at the moment in the UK and they are extremely competitive.

A couple of things. There's nothing wrong with waiting and doing a degree. Make sure it's a degree you want to do and not one that you think will impress the recruiters. Have you been flying (in little things) before? Have a go and see if you actually like it? (Well, love it really)
How's your health? No sneaky things like colour blindness, dodgy eyes, diabetes lurking any where? (if not, then you are fine). Reason why I ask this is there's no point in setting your heart on this career and crashing at the first step. If you have a spare 400 quid you can get a class one medical done at Gatwick to allay your fears. (If you don't intend on training for a few years then I wouldn't spend it yet. Just get yourself thoroughly checked out by your local Dr with the pertinent points looked at (details can be found on the CAA's website) {or if you are in Oz, look up the CASA's website, Oz's medicals are a fraction of the cost of the UK's and much more flexible eg. colour blindness is ok for the Oz airspace}
Absolutely nothing wrong in getting your PPL done now. If money is real tight go and fly a glider. The handling skills won't be a waste. I belive that some of the hours can count to your PPL/CPL too (in Oz).

Remember, in Oz you can get a CPL for about $40,000 (rough figures) and then you can head off up north and try for some work. Then you can add your IR etc. In the UK, you more or less have to get your IR with your CPL (or soon after) because the exam validity runs out in 3 or so years. This will set you back 40-50,000 GBP.

FlyingForFun
27th Oct 2003, 17:19
I'd agree with Reddo - start flying now if you can afford it. Take it slowly and enjoy it.

How are you for cash? It might be worth asking around your local airfield to see if you can get some work there. There are always two or three guys about your age working at my local airfield, moving aircraft in and out of hangars, pumping fuel, that kind of stuff. It won't pay you a fortune, but it's all money in the bank, you might get staff rates for aircraft hire, and you'll make lots of friends who are interested in flying.

FFF
---------------

GOH
4th Nov 2003, 21:19
Thanks for the replies, I might go ahead and learn to fly in the new year. It will give me time to save a little as well!

Thanks again

GOH