PDA

View Full Version : New Lufthansa callsigns

Semper paratus
25th Oct 2003, 06:22
Recently I've been hearing a lot of letters in the Lufthansa callsigns eg. "LH 8NV".

Are all Lufthansa flights using this kind of callsigns now? If so, why? And are there any logic behind the allocation of a callsign to a specific flight or is it random?

--
Regards,
SP

Gin Slinger
25th Oct 2003, 20:14
According to Flight International, the introduction of phonetically based callsigns is intended to make them easier to differentiate.

Apparently confusion has arisen for pilots and ATC when two sequential flight numbers such as 7566 and 7567 are in the same sector.

DBate
26th Oct 2003, 18:20
Gin Slinger is right, the reason for intrucucing the alpha-numerical callsigns is to make it easier to differentiate.

And yes, almost all flights use these new callsigns. Threre are some flights that use the old callsigns since ATC at theire destinations is not able to handle the new ones. Ah, I forgot - the long haul flights will keep the old callsigns for the moment.

Another reason is, that at LH almost every transport has a LH Number. That includes the trucks used for cargo transports on the road. So with the time there were not enough numbers for flights and other transports (also including codeshare numbers for partnerairlines, etc.)

So long, DBate

Semper paratus
27th Oct 2003, 03:32
Thank you for your replys.

I agree that the new callsigns I've heard so far are easier to differentiate, even more so as long as the majority of airlines are still using only numbers.

--
Regards,
SP

chiglet
27th Oct 2003, 04:54
Had one into Manch...DLH9T9 :ok: GMP called it "Lufthansa Nine T nine" [said rather quickly] and the pilot replied with the same c/s.
Also we were told..."It's to stop confusion in the Munich Area"
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy