PDA

View Full Version : Rolling

Black_Dawn
26th Oct 2001, 14:12
Sometimes I have heard the word "rolling" said by the pilot being cleared for takeoff; sometimes i've used it myself (what about you?). :confused:
My question: is it correct to say "rolling" to warn the controller that you are really starting the takeoff roll,in the case there was a delay between you starting the rolling after receiving the takeoff clearence, or is not necessary,and controllers depracate the use of it.

thanks B_D

[ 26 October 2001: Message edited by: Black_Dawn ]

expedite_climb
26th Oct 2001, 17:30
I'll use it when LVP's are in force. The controller may not be able to see where you are, and hence i guess this helps him know you are on your way.

Flap40
26th Oct 2001, 19:25
Heard in AMS a while ago...

ATC: Speedbird 123 clear take off.

Speedbird 123: Rolling.

ATC: Roger, report inverted. ;)

fireflybob
26th Oct 2001, 19:44
"Rolling" is not a "standard" RT call but there might be a view that during LVPs it's not a bad call to make.

M.Mouse
26th Oct 2001, 20:48
It seems to be becoming more prevalent in the UK for non standard phraseology to be used.

Why do we not just use the correct words and phrases and campaign to change those we would like to change?

moleslayer
26th Oct 2001, 22:53
I may be sticking my head in a noose here :(
But I think the 'rolling 'call pretty useless in LVP....you may not actually get airborne :eek:
What ATC really want to know is when you are "Airborne".

Okay...Eyes Closed...'Shoot-Me' ;) ;)

Red Four
27th Oct 2001, 03:01
Completely agree with moleslayer on this.
Only time 'rolling' is appropriate is if you've been dawdling on the runway and ATC have to reiterate the need for you to take- off (ie: now), or there'll be problems.

alosaurus
27th Oct 2001, 14:42
MS-Good idea in LVPs;they know if you stop you will tell them.They know approximately how long it will take for each type to get abn.Once in the air though there are a lot of things to be said and done in the first sixty seconds...not the time for an additional rt call.

DownIn3Green
27th Oct 2001, 15:38
Moonslayer,

Tower controllers use anticipated separation during high workload periods at busy airports.

This means that they may issue a landing clearance to an arriving aircraft when there is a departing a/c on the runway if they anticipate there will be the required separation by the time the arriving a/c crosses the threshold.

In the case of a departing and arriving jet transport this means the minimum required separation is the departing a/c must be 6000 feet down the runway AND airborne before the arriving a/c crosses the threshold.

The "rolling" call, while non-standard, is appreciated by the tower controller because it gives him/her the signal that the anticipated separation will work out.

At many airports it is very difficult to determine when a plane has commenced it's take-off roll due simply due to the distance of the threshold from the tower, or as stated previously during LVP's.

Without the "rolling" call the tower controller may issue a "Cancel Take-off Clearance" instruction to avoid having two a/c airborne in close proximity (one departing and one "going around") if it appears the departing a/c is not moving and the arrival is getting too close.

So IMHO, the "rolling" call, while non-standard, makes sense.