PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Technologies / OTH Radar

ScienceDoc
24th Oct 2003, 20:56
Hi,

as mentioned in the current Concorde thread, it is possible to use a flight tracker for tracking it. When doing so, the altitude of the flight was updated after each reload, while the flight was above the Atlantic ocean.

So I started wondering how tracking is done for transatlantic flights?

It could work by accessing ATC network and getting realtime data when flight is under radar coverage and periodically updated data from flight plan and inflight reports when flight is not covered by radar. But this way it wouldn't be realtime for the whole flight...

Btw. does anybody have some stories and experiences regarding Over the Horizon radar installations. Are and where are they still active?

zalt
25th Oct 2003, 01:31
The Australians have a system called Jindalle or similar and the US also started to deploy a system... but surely this was based on ATC reports or just estimates.

chiglet
25th Oct 2003, 03:22
OTH'B' Over The horizon 'Backscatter' is AFAIK "operational" at RAF Fylingdales in N Yorks. It [the "Pyramid"] has repaced the 3 "Golf Balls"
As to Civvie use...je ne sais quas.[if my french is wrong, I wholeheartedly GROVELL]
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

seacue
26th Oct 2003, 04:55
The Way Of The Future would seem to be position determined in over-ocean planes by GPS, and position reports relayed by satellite to ATC.

Please correct me, but I understand that in Alaska, outside the range of ground radars/ATC, there is a scheme using beacons in each plane which report GPS location. The system in planes also listens for beacon position reports and produces a fake "radar" display showing the position of all cooperating aircraft within VHF range.

SC

zalt
26th Oct 2003, 16:37
seacue - the Alaskan programme is Capstone and initiative to increase GA safety www.alaska.faa.gov/capstone/

redsnail
26th Oct 2003, 23:09
Jindalee is used in Oz. When I was flying in the NW of Oz looking for baddies etc I would notice my transponder flashing slowly. That was Jindalee working the tx. (War ships' radar used to have a similar effect)