PDA

View Full Version : EV -97 Eurostar

eurostar builder
24th Oct 2003, 03:30
Looking for further information on the flying of the EV-97 Eurostar and quik building one...

tonyhalsall
24th Oct 2003, 04:30
They are breeding and hatching fast at Barton.

Chris Coppull at the microlight Club at Barton is very much 'in the know' and has assisted and test flown the micro versions and the group A one.

Well worth a call

Tony

PS - I am very envious of you - Jammy B****

Fly Stimulator
24th Oct 2003, 06:24
Based on having only flown one once I'd say you've made a good choice; nice handling, excellent visibility, reasonable performance and very economical.

The only thing which spoilt the one I flew was a cr*ppy throttle friction control which either allowed the throttle to slip, or locked it up so tight that smooth operation was impossible. Pop down to your nearest Cessna breaker's yard for a proper one and you'll have a perfect little tourer!

I flew to Ireland in formation with this one last year:

http://www.theflyingschool.co.uk/gallery/GCBIYflight.jpg
Photo credit: Steve & Brian Slade

BartonBoy
24th Oct 2003, 19:12
Awesome!

I have regularly seen these chase C150's and PA28's downwind.

BB:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
24th Oct 2003, 20:36
Worthy of mention that the type was recently "Type Approved" which means you don't actually need to build one, you can buy one ready-to-fly.

Costs around £40k I think, which isn't cheap, but given it's flown on a Microlight NPPL, unleaded MOGAS, 15ish litres/hr fuel consumption, self maintenance, and an annual BMAA permit without a Licensed Engineers fees or JAA form 1 in sight, you'll probably break even pretty quickly compared to a second hand Cessna.

Personally I thought that there were aspects of the handling which could have been slightly better sorted - but that's frankly nitpicking. The performance, visibility and comfort are excellent.

G