PDA

View Full Version : Dublin Apt closed until 13:15Z today

genius-747
22nd Oct 2003, 20:51
Just listening over my scanner at the moment and Dublin Airport is closed to all traffic until aprox. 13:15 UTC because of runway contamination, and crews are on the runway de-contanimating it at the moment.

Does any body know what it is contaminated with?

epreye
22nd Oct 2003, 21:04
From "The Examiner" Breaking news:

Aer Rianta officials have ordered the temporary closure of Dublin Airport due to severe weather conditions in the east of the country.

The company said the airport would remain closed until all sleet and hailstones had been cleared from the runways.

Aer Rianta said it hoped to reopen the airport later this afternoon.

The east of the country has been experiencing violent thunderstorms since yesterday evening, with heavy rain, hail and even snow reported in some areas.

Jordan D
22nd Oct 2003, 22:13
Runway was contaiminated with snow/sleet/ice. They were being cleared for use.

Jordan

gsmithEIDW
23rd Oct 2003, 07:03
Just heard from somebody who heard a vague mention of an incident at Dublin around 8pm this evening?

Anybody hear anything further??

G.

Tower Ranger
23rd Oct 2003, 07:08
Heard through Scottish that there was a fire somewhere in the terminal that meant dropping to Cat 0 so there were some delays.

Speedmaster
23rd Oct 2003, 07:13
I heard an aircraft hit by lightening on ground there this evening so that maybe it.
The EDI flight (STA 2010) was cancelled at 23.30 due weather and crew hours

way better
23rd Oct 2003, 07:58
AerLingus Cabin Crew work to rule led to the cancelation of two BOS flights,LAX and BWI.EI 124 was also cancled in DUB due to crew hours.Also many other flights to europe and uk cancled due to hours some flights stranded away from base.

Also Cabin crew strike started at 00.00hrs .

Way better.

maxalt
23rd Oct 2003, 08:12
Todays WX in EIDW was Gods way of telling Willy Walsh to stop ****ing with the staff.

Bearcat
23rd Oct 2003, 15:23
as an aside, may I thank ATC area controllers in Dublin for a top class job in difficult conditions. Lots of people were demanding of them re new headings with TZ's rolling in on final approach especially on Tues evening. They just kept cool and changed their plan as every one chad to change their own. There was 6 lightening stikes on aircraft that evening. I have never seen as many TZ's rolling through Dub and here we are on Thurs morning and more TZ's. Take a bow ATC and thanks for your patience. Capt Bearcat

redsnail
23rd Oct 2003, 15:44
Bearcat,
I'll second your sentiments about Dublin ATC. They were great. (They normally are a picture of relaxed professionalism but the last couple of days would have tested the patience of a saint).
I'll be flying back into Dublin late this evening again :D (4th time this week)

ACARS
23rd Oct 2003, 15:54
Being the sad man I am, I was listening on my scanner last night. Certainly seemed to be controlled mayhem. Quite impressive to be honest. Been not stop TS since Tuesday night. I have never seen anything like this as far as I can remember.

Cleared_to
24th Oct 2003, 08:40
Anyone have METARs from the storm?