PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights last night MMX- STN

Newgen Jock
22nd Oct 2003, 18:52
Enroute from MMX ( Malmo) to STN last night, had a great view of the Aurora to the northwest of our flightpath, while approx between DHE VOR and AMS. Very bright, and my F/O (Danish) even remarked that it was unusual to see it so far south. Another reason we have the best office in the world! Anyone else see it?

Right Way Up
22nd Oct 2003, 19:02
On Monday night saw the Northern lights passing MAN on the way to EDI.

Pax Vobiscum
23rd Oct 2003, 00:50
One of the biggest sunspots for years (approx. the size of Jupiter!) is currently active - expect increased auroral activity. See SpaceWeather.com (http://spaceweather.com/) for more info.

Jinkster
23rd Oct 2003, 17:10
Can I just say about the end of September time here in the UK - Sheffield, South Yorkshire.

I saw flashing lights above the clouds - no thunder, no rain so it wasnt lightening. These flashes were above the cloud layer and were big (too big to be fireworks) and they were of a white colour!

Anyone experienced this before? I thought it could be the Northern lights, but: A: they occur in the winter months and B: we are too far south.

simfly
23rd Oct 2003, 17:24
Jinkster,

How close were the clouds to you, sounds like it was lightning, but how could you see above the clouds, but be able to hear if there was thunder or not?

Pax Vobiscum
23rd Oct 2003, 18:00
Jinkster

It's certainly possible to see the aurora in Sheffield - there are records of them being visible as far south as Rome. They're not confined to winter, but for obvious reasons you can't see them during daylight.

Having said that, flashing lights doesn't really match as a description of the Northern Lights.

Jordan D
23rd Oct 2003, 23:41
So there's a good chance that they can be viewed from the ground here in Edinburgh?

Jordan

Scottie
23rd Oct 2003, 23:53
Auroras are linked to the sunspot cycle and normally appear around the equinox. There was a massive soalr flare today that wiped out HF comms.

Just think of the extra radiation you got Newgen Jock!! ;)

no reds
24th Oct 2003, 00:49
the aurora is linked to the approx 11yr sunspot cycle from min to peak activity and Sheffield is not too far south - but if flashing maybe its northern nightclub lights outdoor laser !