PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Fleet Flying

idg
23rd Oct 2001, 16:38
I would like to know if any airlines are trying MFF (mixed fleet flying) especially for Airbus 320 to 330/340 types. I heard that Lufthansa and AUsrian tried it but have now discontinued this practice. Anyone else?
Grateful for any info. :confused:

flying-bits´nbytes
23rd Oct 2001, 23:12
At Austrian Airlines we do MFF. A330/A340 , A320/A340 and also triple MFF A320/A330/A340 and it works good!!!
FBN

Localiser Green
26th Oct 2001, 02:44
As far as I am aware both Monarch Airlines and Airtours International in the UK operate Mixed Fleet Flying (Cross Crew Qualification or CCQ). The CCQ rating exists for their Airbus pilots so that they can fly A320/A321 and A330 types simultaneously.

I am not sure what proportion of their Airbus pilots hold this qualification, perhaps all? I'm pretty sure all their Airbus pilots can fly A320 & A321 as I belive this is the same type rating anyway and so is automatic. My guess is there is an hours requirement before they have the A330 added though, and I understand this requires a seperate ground school course (7 days or so). Maybe a stint in the sim too?

Any MON/AIH guys care to shed some light?

Localiser Green
3rd Nov 2001, 04:58
Come on there must be some Monarch or Airtours A330 drivers who can enlighten us on the procedures for MFF within their airline here? :confused:

javelin
5th Nov 2001, 12:39
Main base 320 pilots get 330 rated after initial period, I think the restriction is once they have 500 hours Airbus at AIH they can MFF. Some other worthies from other bases get cross trained as well. 2 week course back at Toulouse, an ETOPS course and a few line training sectors and you are off. MFF is not a problem, the operation of the aircraft is similar enough, you just have to figure whether you have you beach kit with you or not to remember to flare at 30 or 50 feet :cool:

idg
6th Nov 2001, 04:00
Javelin,
Thanks for that. Do you have any probs with landing currency and how do you do the profficiency checks? Are they alternated?

j.kral
11th Nov 2001, 16:02
flying-bits´nbytes,

I thought that Austrian Airlines doesn't train Mixed Fleet Flying anymore (for newcomers)? Do you know more about this?

Regards
FA